News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Moore II

Re: Classic mowing patterns...
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
Why not have it both ways:

Better have an fleet of mowers to do that. Thats 3 passes over every part of the fairway moving in different directions each time. Talk about not saving any money, that would take forever to do.

Michael Rossi

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »
I think its ok. I don't think I've ever played a course with fairway moving like that, but it looks better to me on holes where the fairway angles from the tee. Looks really good on the tees though.

Kyle: I'll take your word for it, since I recall you to be a super, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how his is so.

I have to back Kyle on this, we did have a considerable time savings when we switched. I forget the number but it was significant. The longer the reels are down the faster you mow. Turning the mower means that the heads are up for say 7-10 secs sometimes longer when negotiating a tight area. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up and over a season it is significant.
As many mowers as you want can tag team a fairway, however with stripes, unless burnt in is difficult to tag team a fairway. This helps get the mowers out in front of the players so they do not get stopped again increasing efficiency.

I don't think the look is good on all courses but I like it. Striping fwys, apps, tees, greens, rough, is too much for me.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »
David-
If you mow from one end of the fairway to the other, you only turn and lift the heads every 200-300-400 yards. With the cross-cut, you're turning and lifting heads more often because you're going diagonally -- every 50-100 yards (or less in the corners)

Ryan DeMay

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 10:12:55 PM »
Carl,

I can tell you we are seeing about a 28% savings in our fuel and labor costs through mowing up and back.  We are mowing in much the same way Chris Tritabaugh explained, in that we alternate each time we mow so there is really no defined light and dark side of the fairway.  My personal opinion that there is little to no effect on the playability when mowing up and back as opposed to mowing stripes.  For me as a manager of our two biggest resources (time and money) I do not see it as a prudent decision to mow stripes but, that is my personal opinion.  

Its none of the above. Maybe fractionally so, but you still have to turn around at the end of every pass and travel the length of the fairway with every pass. The only way you'd save money and time would be to switch from a 3 reel mower to a 5 reel mower, or a 5 reel mower to a 7 reel mower. Otherwise, its going to take pretty much the same amount of time to cut a given fairway no matter what pattern you use.

John,

I believe you are thinking more along the lines of the monodirectional mowing used at places such as Augusta or Muirfield Village.  In the method we are discussing the mowers mow from tee to green, then turn around and mow back from green to tee.  Here is a graphic courtesy of Golf Course Industry magazine from the January 2010 issue.

You are correct that switching to a larger mower will no doubt make the operation more efficient but, by increasing the time you are actually mowing and decreasing the time you are turning, realigning, etc. you are also raising the level of efficiency.    

Stephen Britton

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 10:16:36 PM »
I think most guys in the business know it's faster, saves time, money etc etc...

So, back to the look and playability.

In regards to tees;

In the last photo of the par 3 at Shinnecock, that mowing pattern seems to be pretty burnt in. Hence a grain, up and back on each side. I've got to think if I'm playing that hole and not using a tee, or even teeing it low, I'm going to use the left side of that tee box every time?
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Michael Rossi

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
I think most guys in the business know it's faster, saves time, money etc etc...

In regards to tees;

In the last photo of the par 3 at Shinnecock, that mowing pattern seems to be pretty burnt in. Hence a grain, up and back on each side. I've got to think if I'm playing that hole and not using a tee, or even teeing it low, I'm going to use the left side of that tee box every time?

Wouldn't that depend on the shot you are trying to hit and the spin rate you are trying to achieve. The "grain" would only affect the ball if it was in contact with the turf, if on a tee there is no difference.

Do you use the brush tee? ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:26:49 PM by Michael Rossi »

Stephen Britton

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 10:24:57 PM »

In regards to tees;

Wouldn't that depend on the dhot you are trying to hit and the spin rate you are trying to achieve. The "grain" would only affect the ball if it was in contact with the turf, if on a tee there is no difference.

Do you use the brush tee? ;)

Correct, I was thinking in regards to par 3's.
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Stephen Britton

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 10:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the diagram Ryan.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:25 PM »
Don't mean to threadjack, but Ryan, 28 percent of what?

Michael Rossi

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2010, 10:37:28 PM »
Stephen

Seriously I don't think you would experience any effect from cool season turf at fairway height (< .750"), however if your confidence is affected and doubt enters...... When the ball lands on a dark stripe on the fairway do you consider it when preparing for your shot?

For me I look at the the ball and the turf that might get between the ball and club face, I don't think about the way the turf is cut. If I was considering putting up the approach to the green that may enter my decision.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:39:06 PM by Michael Rossi »

Stephen Britton

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
Stephen

Seriously I don't think you would experience any effect from cool season turf at fairway height (< .750"), however if your confidence is affected and doubt enters...... When the ball lands on a dark stripe on the fairway do you consider it when preparing for your shot?

For me I look at the the ball and the turf that might get between the ball and club face, I don't think about the way the turf is cut. If I was considering putting up the approach to the green that may enter my decision.

Depends what kind of cool season turf we're talking about. Bentgrass fairways, especially the new declaration and independence varieties can get a pretty serious grain going. Poa and ryegrass fairways would be fine.

Duane Sharpe

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 11:04:30 PM »
I am considering mowing our fairways this year in the classic style.  One reason I want to switch from stipes to classic is that it will allow me to widen our fairways closer to bunker edges and hazards.  When mowing stripes, you have to allow for mowers a fairly large area to turn around in preparation for the next pass.  I really think the playability of our course will change this year due to the widening of the fairways creating more roll into hazards or more roll down the playable surfaces.
I was inspired by the width of Bandon Trails and Pacific Dunes fairways when playing them this past year and want to bring new shot options to our course.
Updates will follow in the months to come.  I will provide more feedback as I hear comments from our members this summer.
sharpee

Michael Rossi

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »
Grain is possible with the cool season turfs but not like a warm season, none the less the bents really wont grab the ball at fwy HOC especially when hitting a shot, full or partial. If running the ball or putting you may see some grab, but that comes down to how the surface is maintained (puffy or F&F) and moisture, grain not so much.

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
Just a few thoughts on this, firstly I prefer the look of the half and half pattern, the 'dark side' can blend into the rough at times so the definition can be a little 'blurred' but usually the different types of grass helps prevent it. I have tried a reverse clean-up (like in the picture of Eastward Ho) to try and create definition, but on my site it just looked odd. As for changing the direction daily, I prefer when the half/half cut is burned in (as I feel it's more 'defined) and as was mentioned (and from my experience) the 'grain' factor really isn't an issue (and it's not like a golfer is going to gain/lose yards by hitting the lighter/darker side at fairway heights of cut anyway.)

I remember preparing for a European Tour event a number of years back and we wanted to mow the fairways half and half and the PGA were concerned that we would dictate the side of the fairway the players hit to, ie they'd go for the light side to 'get' extra distance on their drives. I don't know if it was just their assumption that the golfers would do this or not, but I guess it's not a big deal as USGA sites allow it. We ended up mowing them all one way which looked great but the resources to do this are impractical for normal maintenance.

Not to get off topic but as for the time/cost savings, Toro just released a study that shows the cost savings of striping and half and half. A short diagonal took longest, a long diagonal took longer and there was substantial savings by going half and half. (They also looked at the the time difference of collecting clipping or not). I want to say the savings of mowing half and half were over 30% of the tight angle striping. I know from my own experience that I've seen at least 25% time savings also. So it not also looks good but saves money also ;)
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

David_Elvins

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »
David-
If you mow from one end of the fairway to the other, you only turn and lift the heads every 200-300-400 yards. With the cross-cut, you're turning and lifting heads more often because you're going diagonally -- every 50-100 yards (or less in the corners)

OK, i understand now, people are talking about mowing diagonal.  I thought people were comparing it to stripes paralell to the line of play, which by the way is my preference (as seen here at Sand Hills).

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

JSlonis

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 12:23:56 AM »
At Tavistock, we switched to the "half & half" look last year. As others have mentioned, we saw a savings in time and money as well. Less wear and tear due to less turnarounds. 

I love the look for a classic course.

Steve Curry

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 06:19:13 AM »
The traditional cut as has been mentioned saves fuel and time.  The grain effect on ball roll with this cut has been disproven and in most cases superintendents are taking precautions to mitigate the lay over.

Cheers,
Steve

Ryan DeMay

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 12:38:47 PM »
Don't mean to threadjack, but Ryan, 28 percent of what?

Carl,

We are spending 28% less (labor + fuel) on fairway mowing by mowing half and half versus stripes.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
This has to be a GCA record, almost 100% agreement on an issue.  ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Carl Nichols

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
Ryan, sorry for not being clear, I meant 28 percent of what dollar amount, ie, how much does labor and gas cost and thus what's the dollar amount you save?

corey miller

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »

I was told that there might be some agronomic reasons for not doing the classic look on a classic course.  Can someone offer a reason this might be so? ???

Ryan DeMay

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
Carl,

Check your PMs.

Bill Rocco

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2010, 07:25:09 PM »
Just an FYI, the Superintendent at Eastward Ho! was a First Assistant at Shinnecock. I believe he carried it over because it worked so well. I have played Eastward Ho! where they have the rough and fairways the same and opposite colors, my preference is the same (fairways to rough) especially at a links course where all the holes can tie together (cool look).

Donnie Beck

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
I have been cutting our fairways light and dark for years.  We alternate the light and dark sides every two weeks and throw in a double cross cut X to stand the grass up before a direction change. For what it is worth I have found that standard stripping is faster than light dark at fishers. We don't have many standard rectangular shaped fairways and the extra time comes in going back around to mow all the little kooks.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »
My club striped for 3 years and switched to up/back a couple of years ago.  I'd hazard a guess that 75% of the members prefer the up/back, me included.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back