News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

This website constantly talks about how players are not well versed in architecture, and yet you suggest they're to ones to explain architecture to the masses?

Of course this is what I am suggesting.  Golf course architecture is about "on this great-looking hole, don't hit the ball over here when the pin is over there," not about "Joe Blow designed Rolling Oaks in 1925, during the Golden Age."

To me, professional golfers seem very well-versed in golf course architecture, by definition.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Garland Bayley

This website constantly talks about how players are not well versed in architecture, and yet you suggest they're to ones to explain architecture to the masses?

Of course this is what I am suggesting.  Golf course architecture is about "on this great-looking hole, don't hit the ball over here when the pin is over there," not about "Joe Blow designed Rolling Oaks in 1925, during the Golden Age."

To me, professional golfers seem very well-versed in golf course architecture, by definition.

Unfortunately, the masses are not professional golfers, so professional golfers have little to offer the masses in knowledge about architecture. Sure a professional golfer can work from the green backwards on how to play a hole with his capabilities. But that does nothing for the average guy who is actually playing a different course, because he lacks the distance and the skills of professional golfer. It also does not explain why the elements of the architecture are there. It barely identifies the elements of the architecture.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Moore

It barely identifies the elements of the architecture.

How can you tack from today's hole location to the tee without cognizance of what lies between?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Garland Bayley

It barely identifies the elements of the architecture.

How can you tack from today's hole location to the tee without cognizance of what lies between?

The vast majority of the courses built in the dark ages required you to play the line of instinct. The vast majority of golfers play the line of instinct. Ask them about their cognizance of what lies between.

It doesn't matter to the pro. He just goes over it all. Therefore, in essence he is playing a different course.

Tom Doak explaining what he learned about architecture by caddying for the average guy at TOC is way more informative than anything a pro may say. Some pros don't even know what match play is until they make the Ryder Cup team.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back