News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

What a great weekend! Glad that we could keep the Mashie on the right side of Lake Michigan :)

Many many thanks to George, Tom, and everyone at Lost Dunes for putting on a fantastic event. It was great being paired with my partner for the weekend, Rob B., and I owe him more than a few beers for carrying my duck hook swing around for two days. We also had a blast playing alternate shot on Sunday morning. It was great playing with Rich H., Andrew L., Tim N., Ken F., Andrew C., Steve S., and Jon W. over the weekend at both Lost Dunes and at the Warren Course. IT was also great meeting many of you for the first time before and after the rounds and to be able to put names together with faces.

The golf course was in great shape this weekend and the pin placements made the already great greens even more fun to play. After 3" of rain the previous Thursday, it was almost bone dry and playing fast.

I will second the comments made and thanks to Tom for his talk and Q&A after dinner Saturday night...a complete treat!

I hope that this becomes an annual success and that we can start planning next years event soon!! :)
H.P.S.

PThomas

Top ten things I learned this weekend:

1.  There are not only some great personalities on this site, but some great players as well.
2.  Tom Doak can smoke a 3 Wood from 235 into the wind and leave it pin high.
3.  I might need to learn Chinese.
4.  If you're looking forward to scrambled eggs for breakfast at the Dunes Club, you better have a tee time after 9:00.
5.  For some people, range time is overrated.
6.  Red wings fans aren't so bad afterall.
7.  Golfers love grass.
8.  As Tim Nugent put it, even Frankenstein isn't quite so sure what to do with the Monster some times (ie - those greens were nasty).
9.  Having your name at the end of the list alphabetically can be a blessing.
10.  The road hole bunker fits two, horizontally.

are you sure about #6 Sven???? ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dan Moore

Some of the participants. 

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PCCraig

I'll never think about raking the Road Hole bunker in the same way again... :) ;)
H.P.S.

Tim Nugent

I'll never think about raking the Road Hole bunker in the same way again... :) ;)

Heavens NO!!!
Coasting is a downhill process

PThomas

Heavens NO!!!

and who thought being in a bunker was always a bad thing.....

Sean_A

Some of the participants. 

Despite the negative Red Wing vibes from the jealous peanut gallery, who are these guys?  I especially want to get a good look at Paul and Sven.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Steve Salmen

Some pictures from Michigan this weekend.

Your Humble Narrator, just before departing for Bridgman

Captian George and Chris Flamion

This is the approach into the 17th hole

Andrew, Matt, Your Humble Narrator, and Sven

Captain Tom speaking Saturday night

Tim Nugent and Tom Doak

Tim Nugent teeing off on 18.  My initial thought was, "Oh Heavens, nice shot, Ansel"

My awesome partner, Sven Nilsen teeing off on #14

The lovely 14th

Your Humble Narrator teeing off.  Too much right leg action.

Does this look like a 12 handicap player? Just thinking out loud.

The 12th hole from the elevated tee

No first tee jitters here

Rob Bice on 1

I believe this is Rich Hetzel, Pat Craig, Andrew Lewis, and Sven Nilsen

Warm up on the range

Paul Thomas, Mark Smolens, Tim Nugent, and Pat Craig

Brad Tufts

What a motley crew in Dan's last pic....

Carl Nichols, me, Chris Flamion, Chuck Brown....pre pillowfight.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

PCCraig

Great pictures Steve and thanks for the fun match yesterday at Warren!
H.P.S.

Jud_T

I still can't believe I missed this.  I was nashing my teeth all weekend and drowning my sorrrows in Vodka!  Glad to see everyone had a good time and the good guys took home the cup!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PThomas

I think Steve's nickname should be Rocco (as in Mediate) :)

thanks to all esp George for a good time at the Warren ccourse

Steve Salmen

My wife and I are still having a laugh about my overnight trip with all the men I know from the internet.

Rob Bice

My wife and I are still having a laugh about my overnight trip with all the men I know from the internet.

Ha, very good point.  Although why did you miss your not so early tee time Sunday morning?
"medio tutissimus ibis" - Ovid

Steve Salmen

To quote Peter Allis, "Oh the devil drink, we go way back"

Sven Nilsen

Steve was teeing off on the even holes in alternate shot.  He made it in time to hit his tee ball on #2.  After a gir and two putts, we were all square.  See #5 in my top ten list earlier in the thread.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:15:39 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Chris Flamion

Thanks to everyone who put it together, I had a tremendous time.  Says something about how much everyone enjoyed it when everyone was asking where to next around the 18th green.

Steve Salmen

I have several alibis for this past weekend.  Besides, the guy does not wear sunglasses:

PCCraig

I have several alibis for this past weekend.  Besides, the guy does not wear sunglasses:

Looks like the live ammo that was retrieved from Tom's friend in Kohler  ;D :)
H.P.S.

Tim Nugent

Now I know where you learned to "Bomb" it like that! 
Coasting is a downhill process

Richard Hetzel

What a great weekend! I now understand and have a greater appreciation about what Tom was referring to when he spoke about "playing the course twice", Lost Dunes grows on you as you experience it more. Here are a few pictures (27 to be exact!)!

Jon Heise on #9 green...

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:22:54 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Terry Lavin

Lost Dunes is a terrific golf course and a great site for the inaugural Midwest Mashie.  Sorry I couldn't make it, but there's always next year!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jon Heise

Jonathan drove the 12th green!?  Wow.

Carl,

Even though that was one of my better drives, I think that Jon is just having some fun.  ;) ;D

Many thanks to George and Tom for having us and hosting a great event.  I had lots of fun meeting everyone and had a great time playing with my partner Jon H, George F, Eric T, Mike K, Andrew C, and Brad T.  You guys were all great.

pffft, modesty.  JB's deep.  He's on my GCA scramble team.  We'll take all your monies.
I still like Greywalls better.

Tom Yost

Jonathan Becker, driving the green at 12:

Is he playing thru?   There's people down there!!    :o

Tom_Doak

Tom Y:

The people down there include caddies and forecaddie and maybe someone playing #11 -- there seemed to be a lot of balls over on #12 from the eleventh tee, more than I'm used to seeing.

Tom, you would be interested to know that we sent out five foursomes (alternate-shot) matches followed by four groups of four playing singles matches.  The foursomes matches all finished 18 holes in 3 1/2 hours or less; then we had to wait 1/2 hour for the first four-ball to get home, and they straggled in after that, several minutes apart.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back