News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

I've worn shorts at Lost Dunes, can't imagine that would be an issue.

One more day to go and the weather is looking perfect. Time to make a trip to the range later today to tune up! :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:29:05 AM by Pat Craig »
H.P.S.

Anthony Gray

Can I caddy for John Kavanaugh? He called me and asked me to.

Anthony

Tim Nugent

I've worn shorts at Lost Dunes, can't imagine that would be an issue.

One more day to go and the weather is looking perfect. Time to make a trip to the range later today to tune up! :)
That was on yesterday's schedule but getting splattered with mud wasn't high on my list.  Looks like today's a better day and this weekend should be glorious!  Sunny and 60's is my ideal golfing weather!!!
Coasting is a downhill process

George Freeman

Just to make sure, I currently have no one scheduled to stay at Lost Dunes tonight.

Please let me know otherwise.

Thanks!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Richard Hetzel

I have 1 spot open for Warren Course Saturday at 7:24 if anyone is interested.......

PS:  Matt H., I sent you a text message referencing this! Thanks! Looking forward to this weekend!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Carl Nichols

Just to make sure, I currently have no one scheduled to stay at Lost Dunes tonight.

Thanks!

George:
Correct as to me. 
Thanks again for organizing.
Carl

Matt Schmidt

Thanks!

George - I still plan to be there tonight.  I've made arrangements with the club and I believe I am all set.

If that presents a problem, let me know.

Jon Heise

Not a bad way to spend a weekend huh?  Thanks to everyone who made it possible, have wanted to see Lost Dunes for years and years, and to get to visit with the GCA group... very nice.

A couple pics:

1st green:

A look back at 2:

3rd green.  Good luck. 

The 4th.  Ho hum.  Right?  Nope!

Lots of options near the 6th green:

A distant look to #7:

Tee shot at #8.  Right is NOT the best place to hit it...

Jonathan Becker, driving the green at 12:

I still like Greywalls better.

Tom_Doak

My congratulations to Captain George Freeman for the West's 11-9 victory over the East in the first Midwest Mashie.

I insisted on some foursomes matches day 2, and our East team was 1-4 in those to seal its demise, before playing well in the singles matches.

Jeff Tang

I had a great time at the event.  The golf was great, meeting lots of new golf fanatics and seeing some familiar faces made for a fun time, and Tom's discussion Saturday night after dinner was really interesting.  Thanks to those responsible to setting this up and I look forward to playing in future Mashie's!!

So bad it's good!

Carl Nichols

Jonathan drove the 12th green!?  Wow.

Carl Nichols

I had a great time at the event.  The golf was great, meeting lots of new golf fanatics and seeing some familiar faces made for a fun time, and Tom's discussion Saturday night after dinner was really interesting.  Thanks to those responsible to setting this up and I look forward to playing in future Mashie's!!

I agree.  Tom -- thanks for hosting and for spending so much time Saturday night talking to us.  George -- thanks for organizing. 

Dan Moore

Thanks to George for organizing an really enjoyable event.  And thanks to Tom for his generosity in helping pave the way for the visit and the time he gave us on the course and after dinner Saturday night. 

I enjoyed meeting some new friends and look forward to meeting again on the golf course sometime soon. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Steve Salmen

Thank you very much George and Tom.  It was a very special event at a great venue.  I enjoyed meeting many people from GCA.  Thank you Sven, my partner this weekend.  We proved the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Matt Harrison

It was a great weekend-thanks, George, for handling the logistics.  Tom, appreciated you taking the time to share last night-hope you had a good time. 

Tangs- fun to run into some STC grads!

jonathan_becker

Carl,

Even though that was one of my better drives, I think that Jon is just having some fun.  ;) ;D

Many thanks to George and Tom for having us and hosting a great event.  I had lots of fun meeting everyone and had a great time playing with my partner Jon H, George F, Eric T, Mike K, Andrew C, and Brad T.  You guys were all great.

JWinick

Great event and thanx to George for putting this together and Tom for making the accomodations.   This was my first GCA golf event and it was so much fun.   It was also interesting how people differed in person versus on GCA.   

I think we should definitely do this again.   I might be able to host.   Thanx, everyone!

Andrew Lewis

Many thanks to all involved, but especially George, Tom and the staff at Lost Dunes.  This was my first official GCA event, and I had a blast meeting and playing with so many other architecture-obsessed folks.

Best, Andrew

Ken Fry

Thanks to George Freeman, Tom Doak and the staff at Lost Dunes for a fantastic weekend.  Also thanks to Tom and Tim Nugent for sharing your experiences and current outlook on gca at Saturday night's discussion.

It was great catching up with some familiar faces and having another chance to put faces with names.

Thanks to Kris Belcher and Tim Nugent for carrying my butt around for 36 holes.  The East side came up short much to the disappointment of Coach Doak, but already looking forward to next year's rematch!

Ken Fry

Brad Tufts

Ditto to all that has been said above...a great weekend.

Special thanks to Tom for his time and for the treat of playing at LD, as well as humoring all the questions on Saturday night.  Thanks also to George, even though his team beat ours!

I enjoyed all my playing partners for the weekend, and I look forward to seeing you all at later events and golf trips!

-Brad T.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Bill_McBride

Congratulations to you guys for playing foursomes matches.  We play afternoon foursomes at the Buda Cup every year and they are really fun to play.  It's a shame we don't play more alternate shot golf in the US.

Carl Nichols

Carl:  no chance.  This picture was taken on Saturday and it was dead into the wind.  On Sunday, a guy like Jon Hurley might (and I emphasize "might") have been able to get there.... 

Dave:
I assumed that was the case, and was kinda messing around. 

jonathan_becker

Carl:  no chance.  This picture was taken on Saturday and it was dead into the wind.  On Sunday, a guy like Jon Hurley might (and I emphasize "might") have been able to get there.... 

Shivas,

I smoked that ball and still had 100 yds in for the second shot!!  But at 391 yds downwind, like it was the second day, maybe some of the long drive guys might be able to get it there.  I would love to see someone attempt it.

Sven Nilsen

Top ten things I learned this weekend:

1.  There are not only some great personalities on this site, but some great players as well.
2.  Tom Doak can smoke a 3 Wood from 235 into the wind and leave it pin high.
3.  I might need to learn Chinese.
4.  If you're looking forward to scrambled eggs for breakfast at Lost Dunes, you better have a tee time after 9:00.
5.  For some people, range time is overrated.
6.  Red wings fans aren't so bad afterall.
7.  Golfers love grass.
8.  As Tim Nugent put it, even Frankenstein isn't quite so sure what to do with the Monster some times (ie - those greens were nasty).
9.  Having your name at the end of the list alphabetically can be a blessing.
10.  The road hole bunker fits two, horizontally.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:30:40 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tim Nugent

Great stories, great partners (Tom & Ken), Great Course, Great weather, and great Matches.  All in all - it was Great.

Thanks to Tom and George for the opportunity.  And thanks to the staff and members at LD for giving us the run of the place and making us feel at home.

Can't wait for MWM II
Coasting is a downhill process

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back