News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shane Wright

Really good links courses near Old Head - Ireland
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:27:56 AM »
I am going to be in the Kinsale area in July for four days for a wedding. 

We will be playing Old Head and are looking for one more round to play within 75 miles (give or take).  Any recommendations on links golf nearby?

I'm aware of the good inland courses in the area, and Waterville is going to be too far away for this short trip.

Thanks much for the help!

Shane

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Really good links courses near Old Head - Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:47:09 AM »
Shane:

The links courses of Kerry are a bit far away, but Little Island in Cork looks like a really nice course and it was designed by Alister Mackenzie.

Padraig D: Isn't Little Island your home club?

Dónal.

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
I would second the vote for Little island.  It plays along an estuary and through a quarry.  It is not a links course, but it is very open.  It is a very enjoyable round of golf.

Shane Wright

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Dub/Donal - Thanks for the info! 

I didn't know it was a Mackenzie....I'm anxious to learn more.  How does Little Island compare to Kenmare Golf Club?

If anyone else has any thoughts, please share. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:07:23 PM »
http://www.corkgolfclub.ie/

The site has a number of nice pics of the course.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:42:39 PM »
Donal/Shane Cork is my home club and I would recommend playing it(naturally). It's about 45 minutes from Kinsale. MacKenzie, quarry, estuary and enjoyable. Come and see it for yourself.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Shane Wright

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »
Padraig/David - Thank you for the link and info.   Padraig, I will let you know closer to the time if it is going to work out.  Can't wait to get back across the pond to Ireland.

Shane

Richard Phinney

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
If you aren't willilng to travel as far as Waterville, then I agree that Little Island is your best choice. It's the most intriguing non-links course in the Republic.

Shane Wright

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »
Thanks to all for the follow up.

I just found out we will be staying in Bantry which is just southeast of Kenmare.  I would LOVE to be able to make it over to Waterville again.  Are there any hidden gems in this area of Ireland.  We will be pretty far remote, but I would love to experience true links golf somewhere close....Bantry, Glengariff or just southeast of there.

Right now the plan is either Old Head or Cork or both, but would love to find something close, even if it was a good 9-holer, especially sea-side links..

Thanks much!

Shane

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »
Old Head is absolutely worth playing, no matter how much its gets panned on this site. Not perfect, but an awesome experience.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »
Bantry is almost equidistant between Waterville and Kinsale.
Kenmare town and the surrounding area is very picturesque but I don't think I was miss a game at Waterville to play the course.

Shane Wright

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 02:14:27 PM »
How is Bantry Golf Club?

Ted Harris

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
You could think about playing Dooks Golf Club - it would probably be a shorter drive (time wise) than Waterville if you go via Killarney and then Killorglin

In my opinion Waterville is a better course but the scenery is just stunning at Dooks and there are many really good golf holes
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:44:51 PM by Ted Harris »

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »
Dooks is an absolute delight and only two hours from Cork.

Richard Phinney

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 07:18:29 AM »
I'm afraid you are in a kind of difficult micro climate for links golf, as, incredibly,m there are no true links on the southern coast of Ireland (i.e. from Rosslare to Waterville) despite what the folks at Old Head might tell you. 

Bantry Bay is not worth a detour, but it sounds like you won't need to take one to play it!  It is a very friendly place, with great home made soup, and an idiosyncratic layout that was half designed by Eddie Hacket, and half by Christy O'Connor Jr.  It is distinguished by having more holes where the green is invisible from the tee than any other course in the world (OK, I haven't checked them all) and probably the  least satisfying climb to a tee that I have ever encountered. Both the silliest and most spectacular holes are on the Oconnor half which is closer to the sea.

But is not a links. 

As mentioned in other posts, Dooks and Waterville are your nearest links options and both hugely enjoyable.  Little Island your best parkland option, followed by Killarney and possibly Ring of Kerry.

Have a great time.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 07:28:48 AM »
There's also Skellig Bay near Waterville. I've never played it, but the photo's on Aidan's website make it look worthwhile.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back