News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Freeman

Hilton Head, Harbor Town
« on: March 12, 2010, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm finally planning a trip to the Hilton Head area and environs , middle to late April  and would appreciate help deciding on how best to spend 6-7 days... courses (36 holes pretty much every day)  where to stay, where to fly into and out of from SoCal.  I'm thinking Harbor Town, Yeamans,  Long Cove, Kiawah, Cassique, Ocean Forest, Sea Island and ?

Joel Zuckerman

Re: Hilton Head, Harbor Town
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »
HH airport is almost assuredly the priciest.

Check SAV and Charleston to see if there's much of a price difference, and then you can plan the starting/ending point.

Of course--you could also come to JAX, which is pobably the least expensive if the Golden Isles are definitely on your agenda.

If you are really going to be that far--flung, the most efficient use of time would be to fly into JAX, outta Charelston, or vice-versa.

If you'd like to play Secession while you're in town (assuming I'm in town)we could likely set it up..just let me know.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »
Joel,    thank you for the most gracious offer and the info.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
Wayne, check out Briar's Creek if you're in the Kiawah area. It was at one point Top 100 in the GM rankings and a pretty neat place to play.

Don't forget the River Course on Kiawah in addition to TOC and Cassique...all are really good.

You could also look up Bulls Bay north of Charleston, a Stranz design.
H.P.S.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
Wayne:

If resources permit, consider a visit to Spring Island and/or Chechessee Creek.

WW

Matt Elliott

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
If your going to be at Kiawah I highly recommend the River Course. In the past year or so I've played multiple rounds at Ocean, River, and Cassique and all are excellent. I personally thought River was the better actual golf course than Cassique, but Cassique is very interesting and fun to play. Enjoy your trip.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 07:03:06 PM »

Wayne,

Get advice from someone who has actually been there. Its on the way.

Anthony

Ron Csigo

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »
Wayne,

I just returned from a trip to Kiawah Island and Hilton Head.  The most convenient airport to fly into and out of for your trip is Charleston and Savannah.  Charleston airport is about 45 minutes away from Kiawah Island.  Obviously, TOC is a must play.  My caddie at TOC kept talking up the River Course as the next best on the island followed by the Cassique course.  From Kiawah Island, Hilton Head is about a 2 hour drive.  And Savannah airport is only and hour drive from Harbour Town.   
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »
Ron-  would you recommend 2 rounds on the Ocean Course?   Did you try to play any other nearby courses.  I've heard Long Cove, Quail Hollow, and of course Yeamans are up there.   

Ron Csigo

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 09:45:57 PM »
Wayne, 

My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary so I did not want to press my luck by playing too many rounds.  I did play two rounds on TOC.  One round in the morning and the other round in the afternoon.  The course plays a lot harder with the wind in the afternoon.  It's good to experience both ends of the spectrum.  However, if you have the opportunity to get on Yeamans, Long Cove and Quail Hollow, I wouldn't pass them up.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 10:07:30 PM »
Wayne-

A few thoughts (all IMHO of course):

1. You should definitely play Long Cove. I thought it was terrific, and that was before I knew both how unique it apparently is among Dye courses and how many GCAs spent time early in their careers there.

2. Other than Harbourtown, I was underwhelmed by the public courses on HHI (though I certainly haven't played all of them).

3. I've heard good things about several of the privates on the mainland near Hilton Head. I wouldn't make a big effort to play Berkeley Hall, however -- the only one of the group I've played. 

4. Brunswick CC (near Sea Island) just completed what is said to be a terrific restoration. Haven't played it, though.

5. Ocean Forest doesn't get much love here, but I liked it. Not as good as several others that have been mentioned, but not a huge gap either.

6. The Resort course (DL III) at Sea Island is definitely the #2 non-private there -- much better than the Plantation course (although I've heard they're moving it to be private).

Lots of good golf -- have a great time.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 06:07:17 PM »
if funds permit i would suggest two on the the ocean course. maybe on different days to experience different weather.

with regards to river and cassique they are part of the kiawah island club and are therefore private so unless you have connections i don't think they are pay and play. at least that is my understanding. if i am wrong i am sure somebody will correct me.

the river course is a fun and challenging course to play.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 08:03:04 AM »
If you have private course access, fly into Savannah and play Ford Plantation, (One of Petes coolest designs) then drive up to Hilton Head. Play May River, Belfair, both courses at Colleton River, Long Cove and Harbor Town. Play Secession and Chechessee and maybe even Spring Island or Callawassiee. And lastly, though slightly out of the way, Cherokee Plantation.

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back