News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Re: So How Big of a DEAL is it?
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »
Our Swedish members were drinking KGVs after a match against Cambridge Uni the other week, neat Kummel, Gin and Vodka....sensible head kept me well away. No wonder they were pillaging a 1000 years ago!!

That sounds dangerously like George Thorogood's classic: "One scotch, one bourbon, one beer!"

"Bartender, I'll have what the guy on the floor is drinking!"

George Thorogood?  I always heard it as a John Lee Hooker.  Thorogood put the Bourbon before the Scotch.   ;D

Like a KGV,  either sounds like it is best if avoided or one would be ordering from the floor. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mark Woodger

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »
If possible can somebody post some pictures of the new seawall tees on 9 and 11 and the view down the fairway from them.

I have heard much about them but would love to see their positioning

Thanks,

Scott Warren

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 12:19:16 PM »
Mark,

Here is the vierw from the sea wall tee on #11.

Apologies for the low-standard model posing on the lower tee, I rang the agency on short notice and they sent me the best they had.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 12:22:25 PM »
Our Swedish members were drinking KGVs after a match against Cambridge Uni the other week, neat Kummel, Gin and Vodka....sensible head kept me well away. No wonder they were pillaging a 1000 years ago!!

That sounds dangerously like George Thorogood's classic: "One scotch, one bourbon, one beer!"

"Bartender, I'll have what the guy on the floor is drinking!"

George Thorogood?  I always heard it as a John Lee Hooker.  Thorogood put the Bourbon before the Scotch.   ;D

Like a KGV,  either sounds like it is best if avoided or one would be ordering from the floor. 

You must be older than me.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2010, 12:23:35 PM »
thanks Scott.

gees that bunker on the LHS looks a long way away. I think driving over that will be a real challenge in the prevailing wind.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
All the fees are on the website, John is a uni student living more than 35 miles away.

The only thing I can say about KGVs is my roomie arrived back at 0340, fell asleep fully dressed with his lenses in and was extremely grateful for heavy rain and storms as he woke 20 mins after his planned morning tee time!

At dinner the previous evening the vice Captain proposed a toast to the King of Sweden who I believe is Gustaff XVI so the Vikings clearly felt at home.
Cave Nil Vino

Jamie Barber

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2010, 01:22:15 PM »
Apologies for the low-standard model posing on the lower tee, I rang the agency on short notice and they sent me the best they had.

At least he's in long trousers in that one :)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2010, 01:27:29 PM »
Alcohol, Swedish invasions, and membership patterns have derailed the discussion a bit.  I will try to bring it back on track with new thoughts on the Sandwich-Deal comparison:

I played Sandwich for a second time today.  It was a GLORIOUS day for links golf.  It was my first UK round in only one long-sleeve layer.  It made the second go-around a great experience.

I think my impression of the course improved overall after a second play.  I definitely gained more respect for the first four holes.  The 4th is indeed a great hole.  The only thing that turns me off about the hole is the angle of the tee shot.  I understand that the lure of the flag is meant to throw off the player.  The best line is away from the green and over the dune bunkers on the right.  Yet the tee shot is still a bit awkward.  I think a hazard as grand as the giant dune bunkers are better suited to the inside of a dogleg.  An epic hazard calls for a heroic type of tee shot, and I just don't get that feeling on the 4th at Sandwich.  Nevertheless, the strategy is sound and the green site is indeed tremendous.  The hole moved to one of my 3 or 4 favorites on the course.

I still like the set of par threes at Sandwich quite a bit.  The 6th and 16th are very fun.  Furthermore, the 11th is underrated long three.  The front part of the green is very exciting, and I love the look of the green against the backdrop of the Channel.   3 is still my least favorite, but I gained more respect for it this time around.  I prefer the four one-shotters at Sandwich over the three at Deal by a bit.

The par fives at Sandwich are excellent.  7 is just a gorgeous hole from start to finish.  I love how the over-the-rise tee shot leads to the gentle valley in which the final 250 yards of the hole are set.  14's strategy is simply timeless.  No matter a player's skill level, he must try to fight nerves and hug the boundary line.  Otherwise, a 6 awaits.  As good as the fives are at Sandwich, they are just better at Deal.  3 and 16 are two classics.  They are much more about creativity and fun than the Sandwich holes.  5 is also a solid hole through crumpled terrain.

The fours are strong at both places.  I love the long fours at Sandwich, especially 5, 8, 15, and 18.  The skyline green at the 10th is very striking--another underrated hole.  My very favorite hole at Sandwich is the 9th.  There is effortless strategy off the tee, and the green is the most fun on the course.  I spent 10 minutes around this green today and left with a smile on my face.  Deal's par fours are a bit inconsistent, but 2, 6, 10, 12, 15, and 17 match the best at Sandwich.

Yet despite the great day and the fun of Sandwich, I am left doubting that it is better than Deal.  Deal has a sense of wildness and adventure on many holes.  I only find this on the approaches to 5 and 8 at Sandwich.  Like I said before, Deal's strong holes are stronger than those at Sandwich.  There ARE weaker holes at Sandwich, though maybe a few more at Deal.  The back nine at Sandwich is a bit of a letdown after the excitement of the front, whereas Deal is strong to the finish line.

If I had to pick one to play...it would be Deal.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back