News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Why no love for Sleepy Hollow?
« on: March 14, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »
Any good reason why Sleepy Hollow G.C. in Scarborough on Hudson, N.Y. gets no love from the raters at Golf Digest and GolfWeek magazines?

Personally, I think it's terrific and Gil Hanse and George Bahto did a terrific job with the restoration.

It's more than worthy of at least GolfWeek Classic Pre 1960, no?  Hard for me to believe that it's not in a league with Ekwanok, Taconic, C.C. of Buffalo and Westchester C.C. all courses that I have played many times and really think highly of.  Just my humble opinion.

-John

jeffwarne

Re: Why no love for Sleepy Hollow?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »
Any good reason why Sleepy Hollow G.C. in Scarborough on Hudson, N.Y. gets no love from the raters at Golf Digest and GolfWeek magazines?

Personally, I think it's terrific and Gil Hanse and George Bahto did a terrific job with the restoration.

It's more than worthy of at least GolfWeek Classic Pre 1960, no?  Hard for me to believe that it's not in a league with Ekwanok, Taconic, C.C. of Buffalo and Westchester C.C. all courses that I have played many times and really think highly of.  Just my humble opinion.

-John

It could be because of several redesigns, most  raters may not have played the most recent redesign-although all versions of Sleepy were top 100 Classic material.
Some may remember the Reestoration and hold that against the place, as make no mistake there is a current reversal/backlash of the love and "must have" status Rees enjoyed in the USGA/golf establishment golf world for awhile
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »
SH would not likely crack GD's top 100 overall but there's no reason why it cannot make GW's top 100 classic. I see it better than the first two layouts you mentioned -- with the last two it makes for a great discussion.

Keep in mind, Bahto & Hanse did a stellar job w Essex County CC in NJ and it's not rated either.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 03:26:12 PM »
Give it time for more people to discover it...once they see it, it can't help but skyrocket!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mike Cirba

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
I agree with Matt that both SH and Essex are terrific and worthy courses.

The restoration work done at each has been exemplary and I do hope more  raters get to see both courses as I think they'd be very impressed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back