News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

Re: "Genuine" out and back routings
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 08:41:08 AM »
I heard a story from a GTO who took a group of Japanese players to Royal Aberdeen.  They finished the round at Murcar!   That composite course would be a true Out and Out routing.  :)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

James Boon

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 02:24:30 PM »
The old traditional “out and back” along a narrow stretch of land (ala The Old Course) is obviously not an ideal routing….

What other examples are there of genuine out and back routings?... It’s a little subjective but for arguments sake, let’s say you’re allowed one or maybe two kinks… e.g. a par-3 turning back on the general direction of play…

Ally,

An interesting topic to be thinking about. I've suprised myself in how few courses are actually what I would precieve as true out and back courses. By that I'm thinking of holes generally running parallel to each other, and the coast line, with the 9th green as the furthest point from the clubhouse. After some thought of those I've played (and already mentioned here) only perhaps Brora, Burnham & Berrow and North Berwick come close to the perceived pattern?

Others such as Dornoch, Troon and Brancaster have some degree of tacking back and forth. I chose to call it tacking as it seems appropriate in regards to how sailing boats respond to the wind... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacking_(sailing) All these other courses will have some narrow stretches of land, and either the 8th, 9th or perhaps 10th greens as the furthest point from the clubhouse, but are they really out and back? Maybe even Carnoustie fits the bill as although its in a loop and there is some tacking around 2 through 5, it is all on a thin strip of land?

Though I was suprised how few there really are, maybe those courses which follow the general out and back pattern but with some tacking back and forth have got the ideal mix. They follow what is percieved to be the classic pattern but the holes tacking back and forth challenge our ability to respond to the wind?

Cheers,

James

ps How about Painswick as an inland out and back (and up and down) layout with a bit of tacking???
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony Weiler

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 04:02:18 PM »
Sutton Bay is an out back routing, no?

I think so. 

Jamie Barber

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »
I heard a story from a GTO who took a group of Japanese players to Royal Aberdeen.  They finished the round at Murcar!   That composite course would be a true Out and Out routing.  :)

I wonder if that's an urban myth; I've heard the same about Sandwich and Princes and also about Hillside and S&A (where the story went they were trying to lift their trolleys over a 6ft fence to cross a railway line)! It always seems to be Japanese tourists...!

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 11:17:43 PM »
How about Walton Heath (Old) ?

Que?

You could make an argument that 1-8 goes more or less "out" but I count eight significant changes of direction in the last 10 holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back