News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re: Jackl's Bear Trap = +1300 over par
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »
Matt,

You don't need to work the ball off the tee!

The site lines are all determined well in advance of any weekend tee shot!

The fairway is 35 yards wide at 125 from the center of the green...that's 425 from the tee. Give them a 280 drive and they need to hit a 145 yard second shot into a 35 yard wide fairway...sure, the further they go, the more narrow. Agreed.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
SL:

Good post ... a few comments ...

OK -- so we change the title of the thread and make it more palpable to those who see it differently.

Here's what many don't get -- FL has no real topography to speak about. The Champ succeeds inspite of that clear limitation -- one that I have mentioned numerous times regardingthe pedestrian holes you often find in The Sunshine State.

There's plenty of architectural elements involved here with the holes. You do have bailout areas and the temptation is for too many players to push way too hard for results that are not sustainable when the execution is not present.

Look forward to your comments when you play the course/holes in question -- try to realize this what Nicklaus did with the final four -- especially the 18th which is really superb closing par-5 because way too many par-5's are chop liver for the top tier players -- not at the closer at The Champ -- frankly I think the hole is really easier for the mid handicap types because the danger choke points really don't impact them as much.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »
Jerry:

Since we're on the subject of dummies -- water is part of FL golf. If you don't understand that or don't see it as being appropriate the solution is an e-z one -- don't go there or watch tournaments telecasted from there. However, unlike other FL courses which simply overdose water with no strategic elements -- I forgot to add how the 16th plays well with the water angling in from the right and the player has to decide whether to play down that side and have the shorter / better angle approach or venture more to the left and possibly get stuck like AK was in the final round.

Speaking of H20 -- what's the theory of #15 at ANGC -- planting trees to be bowling allies makes plenty of sense. ::) So does having a green shaved in front and on the back side to a target that is as hard as a street. The 18th at The Champ has more variety and alternates than that hole. 

Regarding the beloved Seminole and Pine Hill -- sure -- let the top players play them and let's see what happens at each location. Last I checked Claude Harmon has the course record at Seminole with a 60 !

Jerry -- suffcie to say -- to each his own.

Jim:

You don't seem to understand the 18th hole -- the site lines are not so apparent when standing on the tee -- I've played the hole no less than a half a dozen times and the alignment is often underappreciated.

The more right you go the more it appears open from that side but you really box yourself in with the water pressing in from the right should you decide to go that far near the neck. Laying up is no e-z deal because when the pin is tucked far right the landing area for the approach is quite small.

JESII

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 04:08:15 PM »
Matt,

Are we talking about you and I out playing a $10 Nassau? Or are we talking about the guys on TV?

The guys on TV played it 6 times this week, diligently noting the line off the tee under each condition...I don't think they struggle with it when they arrive on the tee.

For you and I...well, that's another conversation.

For the standard guest to the resort, how do you think they enjoy the final four?

Sean Leary

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »
I like watching it on TV because it makes the tournament intersting in terms of drama.

That being said, I have no desire to play it every day.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:35:21 PM by Sean Leary »

SL_Solow

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »
Matt;  thanks for the kind words but I'm not sure I did understand your position.  Your remark about Seminole is inconsistent with the prior tenor of your posts, at least as I understood them.  Is it your position that because Seminole can yield a low score, it is somehow inferior.  Or are you suggesting that it presents an insufficient challenge to be considered great?  Frankly, I don't much care if the best players in the world can shoot great scores; I assume that is why they are the best players in the world.  There were some pretty low scores shot this weekend even if there were no 60's. Is there something amiss at the Bear Trap? The question is, does the course present a variety of interesting challenges to the players in such a way as to make the experience interesting, challenging and memorable?  If a course won't yield a good score to a great player, particularly one who is having a good day under favorable conditions, then I suspect there will be something "wrong" with the course.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 08:13:33 AM »
Derek:

Ask yourself this on the par-5 18th -- it makes one have to play three really sound and strategic shots. And it does so on dead flat land. That's quite something in my mind.

Matt,

I can't ask myself a statement.  ;)

The 18th is only difficult if you're trying to hit the green in two. Otherwise it's a 280 yard drive to a 40-45 yard wide fairway, a 145-yard layup, then a 130-135 yard approach. Nothing gimme about it, but hardly a world-class hole.

I just find it interesting that you enjoy this course. Before you started this thread I would have assumed PGA National was the poster child for everything you don't like about  Florida golf: flat, surrounded by houses, lakes, little variety, bermuda, etc. There are some good holes that have interesting features and/or presentations (four, six and 13 come to mind), but really nothing that you don't find at dozens of other upper end clubs.

But I'm glad you like it and now maybe can find room in your heart you for more development courses like it.

As far as the Champ being a difficult course, I think it has as much to do with the fact they play it as a par 70 than anything else. And the wind there really does play more of a role than it does at most FLA courses, especially 15 and 17.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Matt_Ward

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »
Derek:

I never used the word "world class" to describe the 18th there -- you did. Check out the scoring averages for all the par-5's the PGA Tiour plays and see where The Champ stands -- it's at the very top and it does so through dead flat land.

I never said that I find rudimentary and pedestiran design -- which proliferates in FL more than most locales is preferred or even desired. Please allow me the courtesy in using my own words for me -- not substitutes.

You make it sound as the 18th is so simple on what's required -- check the scoring averages out for the hole for this year and in year's past. If it was so simple how many birdies were made there. Pros don't like to lay back if they avoid it -- that's the real temptation when playing the hole because going for it (assuming no real wind is blowing) doesn't make for such a pro forma type situation.

The approach you are talking about needs to be really precise -- especially with a right pin placement. Did you happen to see the play last week on the hole and how so many pros were either dumbfounded or simply clueless on how to avoid bogey or more.

This is a hole that plays 552 yards and when all the numbers are added up there are no gimmicks but just the need for pinpoint play.

Of course, everything is so e-z from the comfort of one's living room chair. Just a statement on my part. ;)

SL:

Try to realize this -- it's very tough for the preferred "compelling" designs that many rightly fawn over here on this site and elsewhere to then be able to tame or handle the world's best players. Please read Doak's last line on Shinnecock Hills in CG - for me, that element -- the wherewithal to have that kind of elasticity that he outlines is central to true greatness. They do in fact play a different game and while the bulk of people will be in awe of such places that are revered here -- the sad reality is that layouts rarely push the pedal for the top tier players. Much of the strategic implications can be routinely circumvented because of their skill range and the fact that they both carry the ball further and work the ball to their considerable advantage. So yes, the words "insufficient challenge" needs to be thrown into the discussion.

For many high single digit handicaps and those in the low doubt digit range the elements of such design ingredients that many rightly cherish will certainly factor into how they play the course. As the skill level ratchets up considerably those same design elements are rarely having the same impact.

You need to play The Champ because given the considerable limitations that so much of FL golf has -- dead flat land and often times the overdosage of H20, it can become a chore to create playable yet interesting golf. I never said The Champ at PGA National is world class -- I simply said the elements Nicklaus and his team included there during the upgrade have made a course that already had some qualities (having hosted a PGA and Ryder Cup) even better.

The final quartet is a solid mixture of different golf holes. If anyone ignorantly believes the 15th and 17th are the same type of golf holes -- then I'll be happy to buy them a compass because the varying wind conditions and how the two holes are layed out are very much different -- including the yardage requirements and green configurations.

SL, low scores were had at The Champ which shoots a hole in the bellief that the course was incapable in yielding some fine scores. Check out the 64 that Kim had and a number of other players produced -- over the 72-hole grind it was only CV who really proved to me that this young guy has some real potential to be a big time player for the years ahead.

SL_Solow

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 09:39:13 AM »
Matt;  You don't have to explain to me the skill level of the best players; I have attended many tournaments and have had the good fortune of playing with any number of them including the current world #2.  So if your argument devolves to evaluating a course based on how well it "controls" scoring by the best players in the world I now understand it.  Candidly, I am not that interested in this type of evaluation unless there is also something compelling architecturally.  That is what originally interested me in your analysis.  But,regardless of the terrain or the architectural interest you can build a hard course.  Narrow it down, lots of potential disaster (e.g. water) tricky slick greens, greens ill sized for approaches, firm and fast etc in multiple combinations.  add a windy site and you can make a course as hard as you like.  Whether it is a good course is another question  I stll think I want to play the course and I'll see whether there is something extra there. 

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
Matt,

You're right, you didn't say "world-class." You said it was one of the most thrilling and demanding par-fives in the world. Obviously completely different. My apologies. On that note, do me the same courtesy--I never used the words "rudimentary" or "pedestrian" to describe it. You did.

I happen to disagree that there's anything very interesting about the 18th, especially in the Florida context, except that it's really hard to hit in two shots. I'd like to see the stats on how many players attempt to but I bet it's pretty low, especially since the wind is perennial. Therefore most guys are trying to make a four from around 130 yards out in typically windy conditions, thus the higher scores relative to other Tour par fives. If you're trying to make par, it's pretty basic. The green is fairly large.

And no, I didn't notice many of the pros acting dumbfounded or clueless when playing it. Maybe I missed it.

Bottom line is I still don't understand what it is that makes this course stand out versus dozens of others in Florida that are very similar.
@feedtheball

Tom Yost

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 11:26:43 AM »
Let me preface by saying I've never played the Champion course at PGA National.  I don't even know the prevailing wind direction.  But watching the tournament on TV this weekend, for some reason I immediately thought of the "99% of Florida is a Doak 0" thread.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:33:06 AM by Tom Yost »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 12:55:55 PM »
Derek:

Here's what you said ... "Otherwise it's a 280 yard drive to a 40-45 yard wide fairway, a 145-yard layup, then a 130-135 yard approach. Nothing gimme about it, but hardly a world-class hole."

Derek-- the long and short of it -- you see the hole as nothing more than basic design stuff -- I mean people just have to hit a 280-yard drive followed to a 40-45 wide fairway and then ipso facto a basic short iron to the hole. Please let's call it what you meant to say in so many words -- a rudimentary hole.

Try to do yourself a favor and check out the stats on all par-5 holes played by the Tour in a given year. See where The Champ's 18th hole finishes. The strategic elements are there and few pros really knew how to play the hole -- save for CV and a few others.

Maybe you missed it when AP's grandson butchered the hole Sunday -- or JB Holmes and on and on it went.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »
Tom,

In my opinion it's much higher on the Doak scale than a zero. If you're an accomplished player I think there's a lot to like about what it asks you to do to score well, and resort players undoubtedly like seeing how they fare on a course that's so demanding to the pros, although I'll wager almost everyone is underwhelmed by the "Bear Trap" once they play it.

I find it ironic that Matt Ward lauds it. When I close my eyes and see Florida golf, I see PGA National.
@feedtheball

Matt_Ward

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »
Tom Y:

You have a great gift -- you can 100% surmise the nature of a hole purely from TV and from never having played it.

Geeze, if there's a zero to apply I wonder if it's not about the hole but the commentary instead. ;)

Derek:

I "laud" it because it does the most of what a FL golf layout usually must overcome given the topography limitations.

Plenty of FL golf is merely surface level repetitive stuff -- the design at The Champ takes the limitations I just mentioned and has done well in providing a layout that inserts the H20 dimension as a challenge that forces constant decisions and adjustments. FL golf has its built in limitations which I have articulated plenty of times previously -- The Champ does well in not doing that on any number of holes there.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
Matt,

My comments aren't mean to indicate the 18th is basic design stuff. They're meant to indicate it not one of the most thrilling and demanding three-shot holes in the world. In my opinion, and I tried to explain why. No matter what tees you play you can hit your drive to the 40+-yard wide landing area and then hit two short irons to the green.

A high stroke average on a hole indicates nothing about high strategic value. Surely you know that. In fact, a high stroke average probably indicates the opposite. Missed AP's son, but saw Holmes' six. Didn't see the dumbfounded or clueless part, just a shot that didn't quite come off.
@feedtheball

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »

Derek:

I "laud" it because it does the most of what a FL golf layout usually must overcome given the topography limitations.

Plenty of FL golf is merely surface level repetitive stuff -- the design at The Champ takes the limitations I just mentioned and has done well in providing a layout that inserts the H20 dimension as a challenge that forces constant decisions and adjustments. FL golf has its built in limitations which I have articulated plenty of times previously -- The Champ does well in not doing that on any number of holes there.

Matt,

Fair enough. I fail to see what The Champ has that many other FLA courses of its cloth don't other than a PGA event, but good comments. If you like this course I believe there are many more courses in Florida that you would also like but don't admit to or haven't played. But I guess that's been hashed out enough already.
@feedtheball

Matt_Ward

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 01:50:59 PM »
Derek:

If you want a true give and take discussion -  try to realize that give part as much as the take one you promote.

The Champ is far different than a range of FL courses and I have played a boat full range of courses in the The Sunshine State to draw such a conclusion.

There were tons of players who failed to understand the strategic qualities of the final four holes there. AP's grandson commited a sin like his grandad in believing that sheer strength can overpower a hole -- leaving the hole with a DB showed me plenty on how pros simply need to realize what a given hole can provide and how best to make corrections / adjustments as needed.

Let me also point out that you applied some math exercise if a player does 'X' then you have a mega wide fairway and then you havenothing more than a short iron distance to get to the large green. Really? Just that simple. You needed to watch all the players that played the hole this year and the one's that played in years past. The stroke average indicates to me -- especially for a par-5 hole -- that design elements really frustrated players who were intent on just banging away without any real appreciation for what such a hole can cause.

fred ruttenberg

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 02:01:29 PM »
Matt-I have played the course many times and agree that the last 4 holes are among the more interesting in that area of Florida.  The rest of the course,however is good but nothing special.

Did you notice that 18 was not played from the back tee.  That made it reachable by some players.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 04:58:11 PM »
Fred:

Agreed with your comments -- the bulk of the rest of The Champ is above average stuff no doubt but nothing of the magnitude that is comparable to the final four holes.

Yes, you are right the final hole can be played from a back tee distance that is nearly 600 yards if memory serves.

The Tour might just want to move the tees up a bit to help the fellows play it next year -- at least for one or two of the rounds.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
the first round at Doral was great, hope everyone enjoyed the drama for a first round!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back