News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

Experience WGT.com- All 18 on TOC and OAKMONT
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:26:58 PM »
WGT.com added TOC's front nine this week.

I encourage anyone who has not been to St. Andrews (like myself) to check it out. The most interesting part of it to me is by far the putting. I never fully appreciated the inner contours of the greens there, but this gives a pretty good idea I think.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:26:58 AM by Alex Miller »

Thomas McQuillan

Re: Experience TOC
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:28:14 AM »
Or you could just buy any of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games. The Old Course features every year.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.....
Is it this by Rihc Goodale?

http://www.amazon.com/Experience-Old-Course-Andrews-Links/dp/095500411X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267975755&sr=8-1

Yes indeed. I am pleased to see that the second hand prices are rising and just hope Rich has a garage full that he is slowly releasing onto the market.

It's very good allowing that it doesn't seek to be the absolute last word on the subject. There's also one's on Dornoch and Carnoustie.

PS No i have no idea what they are on about either.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
"World Golf Tour" - it's a computer golf game.

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »
In my opinion, the Tiger Woods version of courses comes nowhere close to capturing what they've done on www.wgt.com

The contours come to life on their course renditions.  I've played TOC 50+ times on various versions of Tiger Woods and have never gotten close to the same feel that I got the first time around wgt.

The overhead shots on the approaches are alone better quality than anything Tiger Woods golf has ever thought about including in the game.

Mike N - They are talking about the web site I referenced above.  It is a free online game that has some pretty amazing course captures.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:45:53 AM by Tim Bert »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 01:07:15 PM »

Tim

How many times did you swear and throw your club on Tigers version?
What was it like afterwards, did the women live up to what you expected
or are Tigers tastes in women just too quirky for you?

Melvyn

Tim Bert

Re: Experience TOC (WGT.com)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »
Hi Melvyn

this thread should remain about the wonderful rendition of TOC that can be found on wgt.

I'll be happy to answer your questions about my behavior while playing Tiger Woods golf if you kindly start another thread. In the meantime I would reccomend you check out www.wgt.com and let us know what you think of The Old Course there. It can't replace the real thing but for those without an opportunity to study it in person it is pretty amazing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:55:11 PM by Tim Bert »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »

Tim

Sorry, point taken

Melvyn

Emil Weber

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 04:15:30 PM »
Man I just discovered that game, it's awesome!

Oh I'm burning to get to TOC....

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 04:19:24 PM »
I (and others) were out walking and studying the course one Sunday in August when the WGT guys were out surveying and shooting the course...  We were told on numerous occasions to get out of their shot... Felt a bit annoyed by it to be honest...

But then I don't really do computer games...

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »

WGT.com computer game – wow – it must be like having a frontal lobotomy I am left senseless.

Are you guys serious, just what the hell is this crap doing on a site that is meant to attract golfers, golfers that are meant to be interested in GCA.

Is this the direction the game is heading, Christ because if it is then those who love these types of computer games should never be allowed on a real golf course, they might hurt themselves.

Where the hell is the feeling, the anticipation, the challenge, the actual pleasure and feeling the course – good photos who knows, maybe but you must be dead above the neck if you feel this is worthy of any golfer to play let alone rave about.

One of the best reasons for playing golf is to get away from computers and our fast electronic controlled lives, to walk and enjoy the feeling of freedom and the ability to think for ourselves.

Sorry Tim but I have not see Woods game and I do not want to look at WGT.com either, after five minutes my brain activity was registering close to zero, how can anyone who call themselves a golfer enjoy such poor unbelievable crap.

Is it like playing at TOC – you must be kidding, it’s dumb, it lack reality and any sense of emotion please God give me strength because many do not seem to know what they are doing.  :-\

I feel this is an insult to the game and if you enjoy it, well then not much I can say in your defence. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Melvyn   

Tim Bert

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 06:07:18 PM »
Did you expect to feel the wind as you played sittin at your computer, Melvyn?

Did you expect to hear others talking or to walk from hole to hole, Melvyn?

It is a computer game. Of course it doesn't replace golf!!!  Why would you have even taken us to look at it if you don't like video games or computer graphics???  Did you expect it to magically teleport you to the first tee???

The visual sensation of the course, complete with contours, is incredible. No one here is asking anyone to take up video games if they don't enjoy them. Personally, I have never seen a more complete perspective of the front nine at TOC through photos or on the computer.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »

Tim

Enjoy your computer game, you asked me a question I have answered it - its total crap IMHO. As a computer game its also piss poor as well, again IMHO, just nothing wow about it.

Melvyn

Alex Miller

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
Melvyn,

First off, thanks for the photos you sent me.

Second, I am raving about this experience (yes, virtual) in comparison to others presented. Some of us have never had the chance to play TOC, and some might not ever, so this merely an opportunity to get the, IMO, best experience without being there.

So you understand, this particular game features HD photos (something which we use here on this website all the time) and forms the gameplay over them. It's not a graphic model of TOC, it's a game using hundreds of photos as the landscape.

You might be thinking this sounds like hitting into a launch monitor, but it's not. They lay a grid on top of the land, and similar to other games which I'm sure you've never touched, you can better predict how the ball will react when played across the land. I encourage you to try it because I've seen pictures and played other simulations of TOC, but this outshines all of those, especially on the greens.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it seems elitist to disregard a growing option just because you have access to better.

Alex

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »

Alex

Elitist no it’s just poor IMHO, no matter how hard they may try is just reflects zero for me. Perhaps others who have experience TOC may chip in with their comments. It just left me with a big void, sorry.

If I am or come across as an elitist because I have been on TOC so many times then I am sorry. TOC means many things to many people, what I have experienced on the computer game was a big nothing. I was actually disappointed to be honest, if that is elitism then fine.

Melvyn

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »
It's not elitism, it's just missing the point. So you don't the computer game. Who cares? A bunch of us do.

A few things that surprised me as I "played" the course.

1. The number of fairways where you really don't have a huge landing area - yeah, a bunch of them are big, but it's not like you can hit it anywhere. There's still some requirement for accuracy.

2. The second hole, and specifically the green. Pretty awesome.

3. The number of 100 foot putts. I know you keep hearing about it, but I get one or two of them every game, without fail.

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »

Tim

How many times did you swear and throw your club on Tigers version?
What was it like afterwards, did the women live up to what you expected
or are Tigers tastes in women just too quirky for you?

Melvyn

I think thats Tigers other game. I think its called Playboy Mansion or something.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 10:23:04 AM »
Alex - Thanks for opening my eyes up to this game.  No doubt it simply blows away any version of Tiger Woods Golf, especially on the greens.  I've played TOC on TW and it always did nothing for me in terms of feeling like I'd "seen" the course. 

WGT certainly gives you a better feeling of how the course looks and how it may play.  Looking forward to visiting some of the other courses to see how realistic they look.  I've play Bethpage several times and it should be interesting.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »
Melvyn - with all due respect, you are completely missing the point.

No one expects these games to be a substitute for playing or walking TOC.  But for people who live thousands of miles away, it's enjoyable to see TOC in such detail.  I have never experienced how vast the contours on the 2nd Green were until a few minutes ago.  Now I have a better appreciation of the creativity it takes to find the proper area of a green.  It was truly enjoyable for me and makes me want to visit St. Andrews even more.

What was "disappointing" about the rendition in your mind?  If you say it's "disappointing" relative to being there or playing, well then, you are completely incapable of comprehending the questions being asked.  Of course it's nothing like being there.  But are you saying that the pictures and views are "inaccurate" or don't capture the features of the course?

The next time you put up a thread showing pictures of classic courses, should I be completely dismissive and say I would need a "frontal lobotomy" so I would find them interesting to look at?  Should I question whether you are a "real golfer" because you actually take time to look at "photographs" (which is, in essence, all that we are doing in playing the game, with a little element of interaction).

Your rants against people who enjoy this game are below your apparent intellect.  Is there some mutual exclusivity in loving GCA that precludes us from having any other interest in the world?  If you had a hobby such as reading history books, should I conclude that it somehow makes you less of a Golfer? 

I enjoyed setting aside 20 minutes of my life to get a close up visual of TOC, rather than sitting in my porch willing the snow to melt.  Short of mind-numbing arrogance, where do you get off making the comments you did in your earlier reply?

Mark Woodger

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »
Melvyn you are entitled to your opinion but don't cast judgement on those of us who enjoy using WGT.com and seeing the courses on there. Its the most realistic golf game i have ever seen and given that I will probably never get to play the old course this is the only experience i am going to get. you probably don't realise how lucky you are having that on your doorstep so don't criticise us who don't have that luxury.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »

Mark

My humble apology for voicing my opinion. Totally out of order not to mention bloody elitist of me and I should have know better as it was only a pathetic game trying hard to imitate golf.

Melvyn

Mark Woodger

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »
Melvyn,

Apology accepted. Thank you.

Mark

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 01:59:18 PM »
I believe the point being made is that WGT provides a fairly accurate depiction of the front nine at TOC, including layout, contours, angles, etc. (as well as perhaps the best graphical depiction of the course found short of being there).  How any fan of GCA could not appreciate this tool is beyond me.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Richard Choi

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
There is nothing like a great computer golf game to learn more about the contours and strategies of that course short of actually playing there. Even though I have played Bandon in real life, it really helps to spend a few weeks playing the course on computer to get reacquainted before going down there in person. I also found playing virtual Bethpage helped a great deal before my actual round there.

If I am ever lucky enough to get to Scotland to play TOC in person, you can bet that I would spend a considerable amount of time playing the course virtually to get to know the course better.

P.S. We should just ignore trolls like Melvyn, who believe humankind peaked somewhere around 1880's and everything that came since is crap. Talk about a real life Ian MacCallister... jeesh.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back