News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Updated Eastward Ho! profile is posted
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 07:58:02 PM »
Bill:

Yes, that hole at Crystal Downs is pretty severe ... I just got back from walking up it on a lovely fall day with my dog.  :)

Eastward Ho! does remind me of the Downs in some respects ... but it's even shorter, and there are perhaps twice as many holes where slopes like that come into play.  It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea ... even the Downs is not.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 10:32:54 PM »
That's okay, I'll try to made do with the occasional round at Crystal Downs!

Those old courses are so fascinating and fun at the same time, it's too bad most modern architects can't or won't build courses like that.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »
This great course only needed proper turf  when I played there and thankfully it has now. What a wonderful place.

Ed Oden

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »
I finally got around to reading this entire profile beginning to end.  Eastward HoMyGod!  It looks to be a place impossible not to love.  Ran, this may very well be your best course profile ever, which is saying something. 

Ed

Bill Rocco

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 06:31:01 PM »
Ronald,

When looking at the article on Donald Ross' quote on Herbert Fowler it was dated 1923, one year after the establishment of Eastward Ho! Country Club (a different name at the time). Eastward Ho! Country Club is a special place that is among the best on the East Coast. I have played it many times and can say without question it is better to drive the ball in the right spot as opposed to hitting it as far as you can. It was noted that it is around 6300 , butmany times you are into a wind that can be very gusty making it difficult to figure out yardage, and the push up greens have many false fronts making it necessary to be accurate off the tee and with your irons.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back