News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris DeNigris

Re: This hole is UGLY! (and bad architecture)
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:46 PM »
Are courses or holes supposed to look good from aerial views?

Is that an architectural consideration?

I know this is a "fun" thread, but I've seen some critical overhead analysis here before on occasion.

Just curious.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »
Chris,

You're correct.

Analyzing how a hole plays or looks to the golfer, based on an aerial versus as the golfer sees and plays the hole is an exercise in futility.

When's the last time you played a hole you liked and asked yourself, " I wonder what an aerial photo of this hole looks like ?"

Matthew Sander

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »
I've been disappointed several times when playing a course that seems to have visually appealing features from aerials, only to find that when viewed from ground level they do not reveal themselves in the same way. The opposite can be true as well. Some courses can look mundane through the perspective of the overhead view, but elevation change and intricacies in the landforms create interest...

Eric Smith

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 09:52:46 PM »
Mike H,

You are correct...Kingsmill River Course.

Link,

Not Alabama, but Tennessee.  Rarity Pointe (Cupp).

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 10:04:11 PM »
Well, that's the worst looking hole I ever saw.  I'll bet you get a free bowl of soup with that hole.

The funny part is that (a) second base is a little off kilter and (b) look at those mowing lines around 3rd base compared to 1st!!  ;)

Not only should the ump kick second base back a pace or two but home plate is backwards. The point should be in the back. As an old catcher, I'd yell about the second problem but I'd leave the base alone because it'll take another step to steal on me. You think it might be an "aiming base" that they move day to day like the rock at Lahinch?

John Moore II

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »
Well, that's the worst looking hole I ever saw.  I'll bet you get a free bowl of soup with that hole.

The funny part is that (a) second base is a little off kilter and (b) look at those mowing lines around 3rd base compared to 1st!!  ;)

Not only should the ump kick second base back a pace or two but home plate is backwards. The point should be in the back. As an old catcher, I'd yell about the second problem but I'd leave the base alone because it'll take another step to steal on me. You think it might be an "aiming base" that they move day to day like the rock at Lahinch?

Actually from the look of 2nd, it would take one less step to steal on you. Whats the other problem with the baseball hole? And yes, I noticed home plate pretty quickly myself.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 10:32:51 PM »
Someone posted this pic a while ago.... if thats not the ugliest course in the world.... ???

It was me, and wasnt it described at the time, as a cape hole lovers ulimate dream course ?   ;)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:34:46 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 10:37:24 PM »
I saw this the other day  ???

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
John-
You're right! Now I want the bag moved back into position. A couple other questions occur to me:
Are the bases and rosin bag loose impediments?
Can you rattle a liner off the center field wall onto the green and count it as a green in regulation?

There aren't too many other instances of golf crossovers with other sports  like this. The Brickyard course in Indy mixes golf and Indy car racing... and pretty successfully. The football field at Ursinus used to feature an oak tree in the end zone that Tillinghast would've called a specimen tree... bad idea, especially for inattentive wide receivers.

I'm still trying to figure out how to upload a picture on gca but if I could, I'd post a great shot of the approach to #5 Linfield National. The green is framed by two monster nuclear reactor towers. The smoke plumes are dead giveaways on wind direction and wind speed. It is said that night golf is no problem out there since everything glows. There's also Sunset near Three Mile Island where they intersperse white OB stakes with emergency alert sirens.  

Matthew Sander

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
I saw this the other day  ???

I hate to be vulgar, but I'm reminded of the birth of my children...

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
Ponds in desert landscapes

Like ? ......

Mike Bowline

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »
I saw this the other day  ???

They must have run out of greens mix during construction and just imported crap and then covered it up. Honestly, what on earth was somebody thinking there?  or not....

Bill Rocco

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:33 PM »
What makes this green look even worse is the scalping....

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 02:16:09 AM »
They must have run out of greens mix during construction and just imported crap and then covered it up. Honestly, what on earth was somebody thinking there?  or not....

I asked my playing partner WTF ?

And he said, originally there was a bunker , but it caused chaos , so they filled it in .

John Moore II

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 08:57:47 AM »
John-
You're right! Now I want the bag moved back into position. A couple other questions occur to me:
Are the bases and rosin bag loose impediments?
Can you rattle a liner off the center field wall onto the green and count it as a green in regulation?

There aren't too many other instances of golf crossovers with other sports  like this. The Brickyard course in Indy mixes golf and Indy car racing... and pretty successfully. The football field at Ursinus used to feature an oak tree in the end zone that Tillinghast would've called a specimen tree... bad idea, especially for inattentive wide receivers.

I'm still trying to figure out how to upload a picture on gca but if I could, I'd post a great shot of the approach to #5 Linfield National. The green is framed by two monster nuclear reactor towers. The smoke plumes are dead giveaways on wind direction and wind speed. It is said that night golf is no problem out there since everything glows. There's also Sunset near Three Mile Island where they intersperse white OB stakes with emergency alert sirens.  

I think we've seen the picture with the two towers. Send me a PM and I can tell you how to post the picture, I'd do it for you but I'm at work and can't access photobucket.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »
FUGLY!!!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »
While I really like this course, Murphy Creek, the 14th hole is Fugly...

What you can't see in this picture is there are houses all down the left, and all down the right. Combined with the water/canal thing and the road behind the green...its just not a pretty site.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »
Kalen,

You might not recognize this course circa 2002, based on how it looks now:

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 01:24:27 PM »
Scott,

I realize the course used to be housing free, and I really really like the course otherwise.  I just thought #14 was a clunker and didn't really fit in with the rest of what was going on out there and the course in general.

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 01:39:41 PM »
I'd agree that some of those holes in those photos are pretty ugly but I bet there are enough people out there who like them for some reason.

I really do believe that the wider the spectrum in the art and science and production of architecture the better the whole thing probably is in the end----"The Big World" theory.

I suppose the ultimate question is-----does bad art make or help make good art better and more appreciated?

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »
I had the same thought about Murphy Creek. last time I was there no houses were in sight! I suppose it was inevitab;e they would show up, however.

I agree though that 14 and 15 both felt out of place to me. 16 uses the creek to much better effect, but the man-made lakes on 14 and 15 (probably 8 as well) really don't seem to fit.

Matthew Runde

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
I think that desert courses with lush, hyper-green fairways and rough - next to barren land - are incredibly ugly.  It's as though somebody decided to build a course in the desert, then rejected the desert landscape.  I'm sure there are ways to make desert courses look less stilted, and I wish a greater number of architects would find those ways.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 02:09:55 AM »
You think #14 at Murphy Creek is ugly - have any of you Denver guys played Broadlands? Every hole looks like that.

FWIW I like Murphy although I absolutely hated #15. If it was actually a reachable par-five, it might not be so bad.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Brett Morris

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
Like the fairway bunker placement on the right?

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back