News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Chambers

Re: Pebble Beach - 9 or 10?
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »
Tall fescue is a cool season grass, not warm season.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
Tall fescue is a cool season grass, not warm season.

What is the average temp at PB? I know they don't have air condition at The Lodge.

Anthony

Alex Miller

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
I've never played pebble but I've seen both holes extensively...

Why has the rough on the piece of land to the right of the 9th fairway not been utilized to bring the hole closer to the cliffs? just curious.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »
Alex, A good question that probably has more than one answer. Safety might have been the paramount argument, except for that pesky little cliff on #8. My sense is that it went away because of the overall trend in gca to make things harder, for harder's sake. Narrowing fairways, removing strategic lines of play and covering wonderful terrain in long rough has not only been a blunder at Pebble Beach, it's affect has infected many of the historically top courses. Merion and Prairie Dunes jumps immediately to mind.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
Alex, A good question that probably has more than one answer. Safety might have been the paramount argument, except for that pesky little cliff on #8. My sense is that it went away because of the overall trend in gca to make things harder, for harder's sake. Narrowing fairways, removing strategic lines of play and covering wonderful terrain in long rough has not only been a blunder at Pebble Beach, it's affect has infected many of the historically top courses. Merion and Prairie Dunes jumps immediately to mind.

It's a shame. The more you push the fairway toward the cliff's edge on that hole, the more interesting it gets. It's certainly a better angle to approach from as far right as possible.

As it is now, #9 is a good hole but not an interesting one. It offers one way to play off the tee, and that's a shame given the opportunities of the land the hole occupies.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »

The land to the right of 9 has more of a severe slope if I remember it correctly. It may be unusable for golf because of that. I may be wrong but I remember walking down there because of the same question.

ARG

Adam Clayman

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 07:53:08 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if the change to one narrow fairway on #9 coincided with the installation of an irrigation system. As for the steepness of the ground... It's not too steep, other than near the rock out crop that separates the two fairways, far away from the cliff's edge. Depending on one's errant drive, there are times when playing to the very end of that old fairway is the prudent play because the angle is so good and the distance to the green manageable.

There's actually two swale/riparian's on 9. One is farther back towards the bottom of the hill, where there were bunkers on the left side. Maybe at the 130 yard mark?
#10 actually came to mind when I played Pac Dunes #4 for the first time. (save for the straight coast line) The cut outs of hillsides that Pebble's 10th has all along the right are excellent features, especially the one about 50 yards short of the green.

From the old 10th teeing ground, directly behind the ninth green, the hole was sublime. Moving the teeing ground up the hill has lost the heroic nature of the tee ball caused by those scalloped cut outs up coast. They are are just as intimidating as the swale on #9. So in comparison, the tee shot on 9 is not as hard as the tenth tee shot, but the approach to #9 is much more testing than the approach to #10.

These two hole's ebbs and flows are so perfect, and as such, are a big reason why I respectfully disagree with Paul Cowley's suggested changes.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Alex Miller

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 08:09:36 PM »
Anyone else on board with making 9's fairway wide all the way out toward the cliff? We could but a couple centerline bunkers in line with today's right rough lines!

This is what I've always imagined that hole as...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »
  Am I wrong in believing 9 is the most difficult hole on the course. It certaintly is for me. I do not hit the driver long enough to catch the slope and thus gain extra yards. Always a lay up 2nd and the green slopes also,not as severe as 11 but there aren't many straight putts on that green.?????

Anthony

archie_struthers

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10:01 PM »
 8) :D ;)

almost twenty years since I played them but vivid memories of both holes.....nine is sooooo tough , gotta drive it right center to get an angle ....the bunker is really gnarly front left , really hard to miss and  when you don't good luck getting up and down....ten also a fantastic hole but if you can hit it far isn't as tough as nine in my mind  ....really good stuff and why the middle stretch at Pebble is world class golf
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:33:40 PM by archie_struthers »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »
8) :D ;)

almost twenty years since I played them but vivid memories of both holes.....nine is sooooo tough , gotta drive it right center to get an angle ....the bunker is really gnarly front right , really hard to miss and get up and down out of....ten also a fantastic hole but if you can hit it far isn't as tough as nine in my mind  ....really good stuff and why the middle stretch at Pebble is world class golf

Well said.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »
I like 8 best of that very strong run of par 4's  8 to 11 is good stuff.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 12:24:26 AM »

One time i was in an early group. The mowers were on 10. The mower pulled to the side so we could tee. Left and short of the bunkers. One of the foursome pulls his tee ball into the mower. The guy on the mower jumps off and starts hoping around. Not a direct hit but a glancing blow to the shin. No way the golfer pulls that drive if the mower is not there.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back