News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Moore II

Re: Slash Holes
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 09:56:29 PM »
I could not care less what is considered par on a hole.  I just want the hole to be interesting and hopefully natural looking.  The 4/5 holes do tend to be interesting because there are different ways to play the hole rather than pretty much just one way.  So I am in favor of them - as long as they are designed well.

Chris: Read what Jim wrote just above you. The given par of a hole affects everyone, whether we want to admit it or not.

Dan Moore

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 10:08:20 PM »
I love half par holes, but hate slash holes.  By that I mean there should be no ambivalence on the card.  Lawsonia's 10th is an excellent half par par 3 followed by another excellent half par par 5.  What's not to love about that other than scoring a 9 between the two.  Of course if you play match play then a 7, 8 or 9 wouldn't matter one way or the other.   
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Chris Buie

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 11:42:22 PM »
I'm not sure about that John.  On the par 4/5's when I'm in the fairway I'm thinking about how to get the lowest score, of course.  On the holes I'm thinking of, you risk something by going for the green in two.  Not some ham handed water hazard, but a very difficult recovery.  In attempting to reach the green in two it usually depends on how confident my swing feels that day - and how big a price I will pay if I go for it.  I don't really think my strategy is being manipulated or dictated by how many strokes some guy said I was supposed to take on the hole.  
I don't play competitively any more though - only for pleasure - so I guess it is easy for me to have that view.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:46:21 PM by Chris Buie »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 04:15:55 AM »
Just wondering how many others are playing slash holes at their clubs (par 4/5).  We were involved with a couple over the years (Rolling Green and Hole in the Wall).  Thoughts, good or bad!

The topic of this thread confised me a bit. My first thought was that a slash hole was one where you could slash your way to the green.

Dónal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back