News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

The beauty of brown....the Patriot Course, Ninety Six, SC
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:16:06 AM »
Along the line of the thread Derek started recently concerning the beauty of dormant grass, I happened to stop by a course we opened about 6 years ago and was impressed. This course recieved little fanfare when it opened, I'm guessing largely as a part of it's location and the volume of courses that were opening in those halcyon days...but dollar for dollar, the course is as good as any I have worked on, and is looking really good and brown right now.

This is a course that was meant to be played everyday without major injury....a fun and challenging play for the masses.

That Hootie Johnson and his wife were/are members is a testimony.

It's the one with a faux fortification that encompasses the driving range and parts of three holes, including a finish inside the bowels of the fort amongst the barrack ruins. Scroll somewhat NE and it's along the west side of Lake Greenwood.

I'm not able to post pictures, but Google Earth readily shows these features in plan view....even if the cartpaths read like some kind of Nasca petroglyf message to aliens who might be cruising above.

Derek, if you are ever that way I think you would enjoy your time spent there.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:19:16 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Derek_Duncan

Re: The beauty of brown....the Patriot Course, Ninety Six, SC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:26:22 AM »
Paul,

I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the Patriot Course even though it's just up the road. I've looked at pictures and heard nothing but good things. After seeing how you created/incorporated the dikes and channel system at the 12-15 turn at Ricefields I'm eager to see how the the faux fort works. Working on setting up a visit in the near future, hopefully before the warm spring rains come!
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

paul cowley

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:48:40 AM »
btw...it's located as part of Grand Harbor develpoment and was the first course to use the bermuda hybrid, Mini Verdi, this far north. for its greens.
I'm told that many members enjoy the dormant state more than the growing one.

Derek, Billy Ford, the excellent Super, could provide more info if you want. Thanks.

jim_lewis

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
Paul:

I played Patriot's Point about three years ago and was very impressed. I don't recall if I posted on it at the time. I thought the greens were wonderful, very firm and quick. It was my first encounter with miniverde greens. I recommend that everyyone who finds themselves in the general area (not far from Augusta) find time to play the course. I also now recommend miniverde to all those southern clubs who have had trouble with bent. I never knew you could get any kind of bermuda to roll so well.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 02:04:22 PM »
"....even if the cartpaths read like some kind of Nasca petroglyf message to aliens who might be cruising above."

Paulie"

"Some kind of NASCA PETROGLYF message?!?!!!"

Jeeeesus Keeerist, what a term----NASCA PETROGLYF!!!!  Look, I have always been aware you've had a serious interest in old military things and I guess I was aware you had some interest in aliens too---eg your idea for "alien debris mounds" on some golf courses but not until today have I realized how much interest you may have in aliens.

How much interest do you have in aliens? Have you ever seen one? If so, have you ever seen one that looks anything like Heidi Klum or even Marissa Miller?

One last thing-----with the remarkable "outside-the-box" mind you really do have would you please consider donating your brain to science and its on-going discoveries; it's just got to be sublime? I will guarantee you if you donate your brain to science I will pull all the DC strings I've got left and arrange for one holy helluva tax deduction for you in the here and now! No, belay that---one holy helluva tax CREDIT!!! Screw that too---one holy helluva Federal GRANT for anything your mind desires for all time to come!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:10:09 PM by TEPaul »

Kris Spence

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:18:43 PM »
Paul, is Billy Ford still there?    You are right about him, he is one of the very best in the superintendent business.

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »
Kris...to my knowledge he is, and we agree!

Jim...thanks, and a correction, the course we built is the Patriot...as opposed to Patriot Point, which I think is on the SC coast.

TP...what can I say, you are my friend and a piece of highly refined work! We might want to donate our brains as two for one...a half brained bargain.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 11:48:51 PM »
Anyone have pics?  Didn't a couple people play there before the Dixie Cup?

I've seen the photos on the course website, but wondered if there were some from the player's perspective..
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

jim_lewis

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:41:29 AM »
Paul:

Thanks for correcting my error. I knew better, but my brain wasn't working. Maybe you can explain to the group how Ninety Six got its name. I don't recall the name of the old pitcher who wore 96 because he was from there.

Jim
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back