News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

While flicking through Forrest Richardson and Mark Fine's "Bunkers, Pits and Other Hazards: A Guide to the Design, Maintenance and Preservation of Golf's Essential Elements" (which BTW is a great read), I came across an early picture of the Pons Asinorum bunker at Lahinch. I think this is one of the most imaginative names I've come across for a golf course hazard.

Here's the entry from Wikipedia:

Pons asinorum (Latin for "bridge of asses") is the name given to Euclid's fifth proposition in Book 1 of his Elements of geometry, also known as the theorem on isosceles triangles. It states that the angles opposite the equal sides of an isosceles triangle are equal. There are two possible explanations for the name, the simplest being that the diagram used resembles an actual bridge. But the more popular explanation is that it is the first real test in the Elements of the intelligence of the reader and as a bridge to the harder propositions that follow. Whatever its origin, the term pons asinorum is used as a metaphor for a problem or challenge which will separate the sure of mind from the simple, the fleet thinker from the slow, the determined from the dallier; to represent a critical test of ability or understanding.

What are you favourite name for a golf course feature (it can a hole name, a hill, river, wall, anything!) and (more importantly) what's the story behind the naming?

Dónal.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:19:15 AM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Jeff_Mingay

I can't resist...

"Penguin's Bathtub" at Sagebrush - the trench-like bunker behind the 14th green; and, a tribute to the artistic genius of Philippe Binette  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Adam Russell

I can't resist either - from Mr. Eric Iverson

"Hot Little Twins" - two greenside bunkers on #7 at CommonGround G.C.

The rest of the course feature names are unprintable!
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Tim Gavrich

I've got to believe that TOC is the leader in named hazards.  My favorites are the Beardies and Miss Grainger's Bosoms.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bill_McBride

The unfortunately NLE "Mae West" mounds at LACC.   ;D

Peter Ferlicca

I think you mean the "Mae West" mounds at BEL-AIR

Bill_McBride

I think you mean the "Mae West" mounds at BEL-AIR

Considering that the last time I played those two courses was in 1962, I think I did pretty well remembering Mae West was in Los Angeles!   ;)

RJ_Daley

I think it is obvious that we don't have as many colorfully named bunkers/features in the US as GB&I.  My theory is we don't have as strong of a literary tradition,  or should I say literate golfers... (McBride excluded - but then again he is Irish!)  ::) ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bob_Huntley

The late Colonel James Thurman Root US Army (Ret) was a playing companion of mine for over thirty years. During that time he found the ditch/stream that ran the length of the ninth hole of the Dunes Course at MPCC, many, many times.

To this day it is known as the Root's Canal.

Bob

Jamie Barber

Miss Grainger's bosoms at TOC

Ronald Montesano

RJ Daley,

Way to be an apologetic colonial.  We don't have as strong a literary tradition?  No!!  We don't have as extensive or as long a literary tradition.  However, I don't connect literary tradition with the naming of hazards.  After playing Old Course, I thought it would be cool to name hazards and other features over here...for about a week.  I like the idea, but it takes a certain type of club/membership to perpetuate the naming.

Now, how many people can go around Old Course and name the hazards, other than the caddies?  Who the heck ever says "now, be careful to avoid the bosoms up there?"  They look nice on paper but honestly, who uses those terms?  My guess is that the Lahinch guys say something akin to "avoid the ass up ahead," rather than the name.  So take your local map, grab your favorite literary lists and have at your home course.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JNC Lyon

The Suez Canal is my personal favorite.  How's that for a 1000th Post?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Thomas McQuillan

To give it its more polite name, the 'Devil's Apertoire' bunker at pine valley.

RJ_Daley

Ron, the only apologizing I would be doing is for my own sorry self, since I most certainly have an inferior grammar, vocabulary and creative vernacular of similarly American educated joe's of my general peer group.  But, in my humble experience throughout life, I've observed that our average American word skills pale to the average moderately educated Euro, particularly GB&I citizens.  I think it is the depth of their emphasis on reading /studying their great literature.  Those are disciplines of study I ashamedly personally  lack.

But, when you take the whole package of languageand apply it to the description of golf... well it seems apparent to me where the charm and talent of descriptive abilities reside.  I'd rather listen to a David Feherty describe golf, including his colorful off the cuff descriptions of course features and situations, than just about any U.S. color/course commentator I can think of.  I really do attibute such a gift of gab as part of his Irish education that has a far more focused discipline and traditional heritage.  

Root's canal is a gem, Sir Boab.  I wonder if Gene has applied any Dentistry terms to Sand Hills features?  ;D

Off hand, one of the better feature names I can think of is 'the lion's mouth' for the front boomerang bunker on #16 at CC of Charleston.  

Anyone have a candidate for naming a lateral hazard thick woods, "Dante's forest of suidices, or Dante's woods, or Harpies woods?  That is as literary as I can offer...  ::) :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Jansen

A polite name just doesn't do it any justice... call it what it is: Devil's @$$hole.

archie_struthers

8) ;D 8)

My favorite has to be " the  Principals' Nose"

at  St Andrews 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:44:44 PM by archie_struthers »

Tony_Muldoon

Ron, the only apologizing I would be doing is for my own sorry self, since I most certainly have an inferior grammar, vocabulary and creative vernacular of similarly American educated joe's of my general peer group.  But, in my humble experience throughout life, I've observed that our average American word skills pale to the average moderately educated Euro, particularly GB&I citizens.  I think it is the depth of their emphasis on reading /studying their great literature.  Those are disciplines of study I ashamedly personally  lack.

Dick from a European perspective I think you are too hard on yourself and your country men.  Believe me I spend more than enough time dealing with inarticulate souls over here.  Besides when you take the Irish out of great modern literature ( Joyce/Yeats/Beckett  ;D ;D ;D ) the influence of the American writer is the next largest.  I've spend 4-5 months of my life in the States and I'm always impressed by the level of conversation and the ability to communicate that I encounter.

The lively debate on here is a tribute to American education.

End of thread jack.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Pat Burke

Not sure it's official yet, but what about the
RU EFFING KIDDING ME   bunker in the middle of number 8 at Riviera?

TEPaul

Remember those fronting bunkers on like the 4th or 5th hole of Apawamis they called "Eleanor's Teeth" after Eleanor Roosevelt?

And on that note if any of you expert architectural researchers and geniuses tell me you know of some hole or architectural feature named "Heidi Klum" I guarantee you I'll be there to play it over and over again. Hell, I'll even spend the damn night and sleep on it or in it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:17:41 PM by TEPaul »

Mark Molyneux

“And how was the round today, old chap”, the conversation went in the R&A clubhouse. “Well, after I hit the Ferrari and knocked Penelope from her horse, I’d had enough for the day. Make that another gin and tonic please, and throw in a sugar lump for the riderless nag out front if you don’t mind.”

Grannie Clark's Wynd

It's just so out of place on a major venue!

Mark Chaplin

Vardon's Parlour is pretty cool. On the 17th at Deal a small flat area on the right of the fairway gives a sight of the pin, deciding it to be the ideal spot Vardon hit it 4/4 in the Open. A good effort now but with hickory and semi round balls.....
Cave Nil Vino

Matthew Runde

Kevin Pallier

TOC....

The Valley of Sin

Hell Bunker
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:07:04 AM by Kevin Pallier »

JNC Lyon

The Valley of Inglorious Security: Approach Shot, 16th at Deal.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Gary Slatter

I like most of the names on the Old Course and I did find that most of the people that I played with always mentioned to be careful of Shell Bunker or Hell Bunker or whatever, and it always took my attention away from what I was trying to do. 

Most of 2009 they also referred to the Road Hole as that "  ****ing rough doesn't belong here hole".

Does XIXth Hole count as a golf feature?   And why are golf shirts still called polo shirts?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back