News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carr Harris

Allow myself to introduce... myself
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »
Hello all,

My name is Carr Harris and I am a newly minted member of this board as of this morning. As I saw with Matthew Sander's introduction earlier today I have also been an on/off lurker on this site for about the last five years. I finally feel like I am at the point to which I have something to add to the conversation around here.

Golf has always been a major passion in life for me, and since first visiting this site a few years ago, the course architecture side of things  has interested me more and more. When I first found this site I was just looking for some cool golf course photos, but after reading how knowledgable and entertaining so many of you are here on this discussion group I became hooked. I owe a debt of gratitude to so many of you here for dispensing so much useful information regarding course design and the history of the game itself.

A little bit about myself:

I am 30 years old and currently live in NE Ohio with my wife and 18 month old daughter. Save for a couple of years living in New England and a year living in Florida I have resided here my whole life. I feel lucky to live in such a golf rich state but can't help but feel jealous of all you who have a much longer golf season than us midwesterners ;) I have a few golf trips planned this year including my first jaunt to Bandon this November (can't freaking wait!), but until the 18 inches of snow get the hell off my lawn I am stuck getting by just reading and writing about the game I love.

Anyhow, keep up the great work everybody and I can't wait to get to know many of you better over the coming weeks here on the site. Thanks!!

-Carr

P.S. Sorry I just had to slip an Austin Powers reference in there on the title :D

Mac Plumart

Re: Allow myself to introduce... myself
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »
Welcome...I loved the title!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:36:50 PM »
Welcome to the site, Carr

I live in NE Ohio as well.  We'll have to play sometime this year if it ever gets warm.  :)

Brian Laurent

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
Welcome, Carr.  Good to see another Ohioan on the board.

What are the Browns going to do at quarterback?
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »
Welcome

Have you played outside the USA at all ?

George Freeman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:36:17 PM »
Welcome Carr.  I laughed out loud at the title...priceless.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Carr Harris

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I appreciate it.

-Jonathan: ----  Absolutely we should play. You know how to get a hold of me ;)

-Brian:   ---- Thats become the eternal question these days. I would hope that they pursue Other avenues besides the draft. Either roll the dice with Quinn maturing under Holgren, or pursue a QB via trade. I never want to see Derek Anderson under center for the Browns again.

-Kevin:    ---- My play outside the U.S is limited to say the least. I have played @ Playa Grande in the D.R., and a 9 hole muni in Tambor, Costa Rica. I was in Banff a few summers ago with the Mrs. but couldn't afford the high season rates at that time. I've played at acouple of places in Puerto Rico as well. My hope is to make my first trans-atlantic golf voyage sometime in the next five years.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 09:57:02 PM »
Carr,

Another one for the great Playa Grande!!  ;D

Off the top of my head....from this site....you, me , Eric Smith, and Greg Tallman are the only guys I can think that have played Playa Grande.  There aren't many of us.

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:20:44 PM »
Welcome Carr!  Are you the guy JB was talking about who tried to drink all the Presidente in the DR when down there??

Carr,

Another one for the great Playa Grande!!  ;D

Off the top of my head....from this site....you, me , Eric Smith, and Greg Tallman are the only guys I can think that have played Playa Grande.  There aren't many of us.

Add Greg Clark to that list and I think you've got it about right.  Hey thanks for the heads up on the new website btw, those pics look really good.  I'm plugging it right here on Carr's thread.... www.playagrande.com ...check it out!

Carr Harris

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:24:25 PM »
Yeah Playa Grande was definitely a shock to me when I first saw it. I had read some vaguely positive reviews, but I had no idea what an incredible piece of land the course occupied. Its true that there are luckluster holes there, but some of those ocean holes are so astonishing (3,4,7,13,14,17) that they tend to blind your judgement. The 9th teebox there is also one of only 2 places on a course I've ever played (The other being 7 tee @ Stone Eagle) where the tee box was so elevated and exposed over the surrounding area that I had trouble even drawing the club back.

I'd probably pass out on some of the tee boxes @ Cap Kidnappers or Old Head ;D

Carr Harris

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »
Eric: -----  My guess would be that it was but there were a number of us in the running ;D

Behind Playa Grande Presidente was my 2nd favorite suprise down there. Really good beer

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »
Let's go to the 9th tee @ PG

Carr Harris

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »
Thanks Eric.

I had the irrational fear that coming through the ball I was going to let go and send the club flying into the Atlantic.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 08:19:19 AM »
Let's go to the 9th tee @ PG

Eric...Is that the time you golfed with Peyton Manning?

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 08:57:55 AM »
Yep. Here he is telling our caddy Victor to run a post but Vic misunderstood and ran a fly and we never saw him again.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 10:06:56 AM »

Who's Peyton Manning? Does he post here?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 10:25:25 AM »

Who's Peyton Manning? Does he post here?

He ownes a fish bar.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back