News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Golf Course Architecture Magazine
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »
I just wanted to say that I think it is pretty darn neat to crack open my latest copy of Adam Lawrence's Golf Course Architecture magazine and see Jeff Mingay's article, Forrest Richardson's writing, and read about Jeff Brauer's Firekeeper course.

Great to have people like y'all on the site and great to read the contents of that magazine...cool stuff!!

Oh yeah...and Ulrich put the smack down in his letter to the editor!!   ;)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Golf Course Architecture Magazine
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:48:23 PM »
Very complimentary post, Mac.

Appropriate too: Adam and his staff do a great job with Golf Course Architecture magazine. Each issue gets better, and better. 
jeffmingay.com

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Loved your Macan profile and that piece on the lost hole at The Machrie is really something! 

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:11:07 PM »
Thanks Mac. I'm quite happy with the Macan profile as well... mostly with the way Adam and his staff laid the piece out. Very well done.

I must point out that the lost hole at The Machrie was written by Anthony Pioppi... one of the best golf writers out there today. 
jeffmingay.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »
It is a very quality publication, and certainly shows that those behind it have a passion for golf architecture.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
Forrest, that is what I love about it.  It doesn't have all the self help pieces that other mags have or write ups on Tiger this, Tiger that.  It is just a great magazine about golf courses.  Its got historical pieces, contemporary discussions, great write ups, great pictures, etc.  Really lines up well with the interests of people of this site, hence my mentioning it.  And no, I am not a shareholder or investor in the magazine  :)...I just really think it is cool.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »
Mac — I know that Tudor-Rose (publishers) would love to hear your comments. I encourage you to send them a note.

You can also show your support by getting people to subscribe — and by suggesting articles and passing on interesting information. For example, one thing that I know is welcomed at GCA Magazine is interesting tid-bits about golf design from any perspective.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:02:36 PM »
It's a very good magazine, no doubt. Content-wise there's not much to criticise.

However, I wish they would introduce a permanent subscription, so I don't constantly have to keep track of how long my current subscription lasts and when I have to renew. Other (non-Golf) magazines I subscribe to simply keep sending out issues and bills.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »
Forrest, thanks.  I will reach out to them.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 07:56:07 AM »
I enjoy reading the magazine, except the one issue that was devoted almost entirely to the Castle Course.  In the main "article" they apologized for work at the Dukes and St Andrews Bay which was silly as both were/are better courses than the Castle. 
Other than that issue in 2009, the rest are good, and getting better every quarter.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 08:12:57 AM »
Mac,

I agree that the magazine is awesome and it's very cool to have some of these guys on GCA.  What I want to know is can you possibly be this good natured all the time?  I want to see you miss a 3-footer to lose a big money match in 95 degree heat with a massive hangover and then see how sunny your disposition is!!!   ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »
Jud,

Mac doesn't miss three-footers.  His sunny disposition causes all blades of grass to lean toward the hole.  You want to putt yours as soon as his leaves the clubface, to avail yourself of said sunniness.

--Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
Ron...that was funny!!!

Jud...thanks for the compliments!!  But regarding missing a 3 footer in 95 degree heat with a big hangover...

First off, I very, very rarely drink, so the hangover is out.   :)

Secondly, I realize that I am not good at golf and never will be.  A good friend of mine is a former All-American golfer and a VERY good amateur competitive golfer, so I know what a "good" golfer looks like.  I am not that and never will be, so loosing money, missing putts, hitting driver OB doesn't bother me (too much  :))...Hagen said that he knew he was going to mis-hit 7 shots during each and every round so when those mis-hits came they didn't bother him as he knew they were coming.  If he had 7 mis-hits, I probaly have 18!!

Finally, I look at golf as a test of character.  The Klein quote is what I try to remember, "it isn't how well you play, but how well you handle how you play".  When we played at Chechessee Creek, I had a rough round.  I hit 90 on a par 70 course.  I was in every bunker (it seemed like).  I missed a hole in one by inches, literally inches, and the ball slowly, slowly, slowly, rolled past the hole, down hill, ever so slowly turned towards a bunker, and trickled in.  That to me was frustrating...real frustrating.  But as I approached the green, I got my mind right and hit a decent bunker shot and moved on.

Having no illusions that I am good helps reduce the frustrations of hitting bad shots.

I am a real high stress guy do to my business and competitive nature, but my "striving to be great" efforts go towards business not golf.  Golf is my escapse, my hobby, frankly my passion.  I don't want to ruin that by putting to many expectations on it.

Does that make sense?

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 09:58:01 AM »
Ron...that was funny!!!

Jud...thanks for the compliments!!  But regarding missing a 3 footer in 95 degree heat with a big hangover...

First off, I very, very rarely drink, so the hangover is out.   :)

Secondly, I realize that I am not good at golf and never will be.  A good friend of mine is a former All-American golfer and a VERY good amateur competitive golfer, so I know what a "good" golfer looks like.  I am not that and never will be, so loosing money, missing putts, hitting driver OB doesn't bother me (too much  :))...Hagen said that he knew he was going to mis-hit 7 shots during each and every round so when those mis-hits came they didn't bother him as he knew they were coming.  If he had 7 mis-hits, I probaly have 18!!

Finally, I look at golf as a test of character.  The Klein quote is what I try to remember, "it isn't how well you play, but how well you handle how you play".  When we played at Chechessee Creek, I had a rough round.  I hit 90 on a par 70 course.  I was in every bunker (it seemed like).  I missed a hole in one by inches, literally inches, and the ball slowly, slowly, slowly, rolled past the hole, down hill, ever so slowly turned towards a bunker, and trickled in.  That to me was frustrating...real frustrating.  But as I approached the green, I got my mind right and hit a decent bunker shot and moved on.

Having no illusions that I am good helps reduce the frustrations of hitting bad shots.

I am a real high stress guy do to my business and competitive nature, but my "striving to be great" efforts go towards business not golf.  Golf is my escapse, my hobby, frankly my passion.  I don't want to ruin that by putting to many expectations on it.

Does that make sense?

makes a lot of sense...that's why you're giving me 3 a side!!!!   :o
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Rossi

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »
Mac

Well stated, I like that attitude towards golf. 8)

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 10:11:07 AM »
I can attest that in the 24 hours I spent with Mac, he is that great and good natured.  He is a breath of fresh air and a great guy.  I look forward to many more outings with him.

Oh, and with his technique and swing, he is very soon going to be a golfer to be reckoned with on the course.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back