News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Oakmont's Par Threes
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:57:50 AM »
Other than the very long 8th , what do you think about Oakmont"s one shotters.    How do the holes play and how are the greens ?

thanks !

p.s  which hole, of number 6,13, or 16 do you prefer to play,  or suffer on the most

JohnV

Re: Oakmont's Par Threes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:20:42 PM »
I love them all.  All three have wonderfully difficult greens.  You can't get above the hole on 6 or 13 and have a prayer.  16 is kind of a reverse redan, although the movement is a little more left to right than back to front.  It plays very long.  Of the three, 13 is probably my favorite as position on the green is so important and missing right or left is no bargain.  On 6 you can get away with missing left as the chip is into the slope of the green.

Carr Harris

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:35:52 PM »
Personally I like #6 the best but they are all really good holes. Just to echo John's remarks, both 6 & 13 have big time back to front slopes. The day I played our host had a putt from just inside the back fringe to a very front pin location on 13 and lagged it to about a foot. Our group unanimously voted it the best putt of the day. I think that (selfishly) the reason I like 6 more is that the green tends to favor my natural fade both in shape and contour. 16 is also a wonderful hole but I find 6 & 13's greens more interesting myself.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:43:36 PM by Carr Harris »

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
Oakmont's par 3s are great. I think pretty much all the courses in the top ten or so have really special par 3s. If I would make any criticism at all of Oakmont's par 3s it would be in a distance variety context in that none of them is a really cool short one like a few of Oakmont's par 4s are, and at least one of most of the rest of the old classic top ten or so courses are.

But for really cool green SURFACES, even though there are only three par 3s, I'd have to give my nod to NGLA's par 3 green surfaces.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:51:09 PM by TEPaul »

George Freeman

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 02:35:43 PM »
Other than the very long 8th , what do you think about Oakmont"s one shotters.    How do the holes play and how are the greens ?

thanks !

p.s  which hole, of number 6,13, or 16 do you prefer to play,  or suffer on the most

Mark,

Why exclude the 8th in your request for opinions on the par 3s at Oakmont?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back