News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Miller

Charity and the private club
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »
Apologies for a topic slightly OT, but was inspired reading through Tom Doak's contribution to the midnight golf program.

Anyone care to share stories of types of things your club does to grow youth involvement?

As a random thought, wouldn't it be great if one of the top clubs in the US opened for public play one or two days a week with Muirfield-type conditions and donated all greens fees to an organization that supports youth programs?  They could charge Pebble-like rates and donate all to a charity without jeopardizing their not-for-profit status. 

Would something like this be too difficult to swallow for the membership? 

mike_beene

Re: Charity and the private club
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:27:28 PM »
I would rather pick my own charities. If the club has extra money around then lower dues or spend it on the course. We already are already forced  to send more than half of our income in to be redistributed, often in wasteful and offensive ways.

Jud_T

Re: Charity and the private club
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:55:17 AM »
I would rather pick my own charities. If the club has extra money around then lower dues or spend it on the course. We already are already forced  to send more than half of our income in to be redistributed, often in wasteful and offensive ways.

Agreed.  Charity should be a private matter.  Nothing gets my goat up more than the corporate push for "voluntary" giving, or the country club initiation necessary "charity" listings...I know plenty of a**holes who've made some very public charitable donations to burnish their own image that I wouldn't want anywhere near my club...Although helping out Evans scholars or junior golf would seem to be where club charity should be focused. Just please keep your religious causes to yourself.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back