News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Moore II

John...

I thought he meant the creek on the far left!!!   ;D

Hah, I've got that shot for sure. Nice little pull hook, starts off nice and low, and just dives left. Oh yeah, I can relate to that one.

Matthew Petersen

John...

I agree.  I think I mentioned twice that the whole deal is accuracy and execution.  Hit the right side of the fairway and hit a good wedge shot.  Do it...and you get a birdie...don't and you make a mess.

The interest is if you are playing a match and your opponent messes up...that is a chance for you to take the hole, but don't screw your tee shot up or your approach.

I think using these types of holes every now and again are ok as they give your brain a break...make the choices obvious, but require execution.  But don't over-do it as the "boredom" you refer to overtakes the "break" I refer to.

Just my opinion...you and other may differ...that is fine.

There's a decision on this kind of hole, but not in the way a driveable hole presents the decision. Here, the question is more like, how well do you know your game and are you able to effectively play to your strength?

As I look at the hole, I know driver is out--I'd knock it in the creek. I could hit 3 wood with a little draw down into the bottom. It looks like I'd then have roughly 60 yards, uphill. That's a bit dicey for me. So maybe I hit iron off the tee and try to leave it back somewhere that gives me more of a full shot. Then again, doing that, I might not end up with a flat lie. These are all things that a good player should have go throgh his head before deciding on the tee shot on this sort of hole. I think it's a nice variety of challenge.

I gotta know what tees you're playing because I can tell you that I can't reach that creek from the tees I play and I hit the ball as far as anyone not on the Long Driver's of America tour. Though I agree with how you think to play the hole, 3 wood or 2 iron off the tee and a wedge onto the green.

Looks like I misread that yardage book page! 330 from the tips to the creek wouldn't be an issue for me. But I have played with some guys who would think twice, especially given that the hole plays downhill.

Mac Plumart

No worries.  I was just goofin' around.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Anthony Gray

Cruden Bay 3 is a classic.

Anthony

n Bay

Anthony Gray

Cruden Bay 8 is a classic. 

Anthony

Keith Buntrock

#12 at Talking Stick (North) is a cool shortish par 4 with options

I like #5 and #10 at Greywalls

The opening hole at Purgatory

John Moore II

Matthew:Yeah, I'd think twice about hitting driver on that hole. Probably wouldn't hit driver at all on that hole. Because of the bunker as well.

Anthony: Did you just recently play Cruden Bay? Because you've been praising that place non-stop for a good while now.

Don_Mahaffey

We have a few drive and pitch holes at Wolf Point.
My favorite is the 16 th.

We usually play the hole from just to the right of the 15th green (350-360 yds) Wwe literally walk off the 15th green a step or two, stick a peg in the ground and go. The hole plays down wind. The closer you get to the green, the bumpier it gets and the more it slopes right to left toward the creek. The green slopes hard right to left. The best tee shot by far is about a 4 iron at the first tree on the left leaving a wedge or 9 iron in. The closer to the creek the better the angle. Why do I think it’s a great hole?
There is so much room to hit driver that it just temps you to go ahead and poke it down there about 40 - 60 yards from the green. If you do that your left with a downwind shot off a hook lie to a green that slopes hard to the left with a creek left and long. You better have a hell of a wedge game if you try and hit it close to the green. When the wind is up and the ground is firm you better have control of your trajectory or this little beauty will turn 3 into 6 real fast.

16th green from 17th fwy

bunker up by green

Sean Leary

Pine Valley #8 is the best I have seen. #12 isn't bad either.

Homer vote is for 3 at Prairie Dunes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back