News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Tillinghast's Lafayette outside Syracuse, New York
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »
I did a story a few years back on this track and just rediscovered the photos.  The Senior Tour held the MONY championship there back in the early 1980s and the course has bounced back and forth between public and private.  It is a really neat course and well worth the money, high in the hills overlooking Syracuse (or the environs, at the least.)  Here is the link to the photo tour:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/buffalogolfer/Lafayette%20Hills%20GCC/
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Blain

Re: Tillinghast's Lafayette outside Syracuse, New York
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:03:14 PM »
This is course is not in the top 50 courses in upstate New York. It is also now a private club.

It's hard for me to believe Tillinghast was ever on site.

Sorry, Ron, I differ with you on this one.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
It is not a private club, as the web site reveals:  http://www.lafayettehillsgcc.com/
---whooops, I lied, JP is correct, although my guess is that you will be able to get on if you wish.

I believe that Tillinghast devotees would find much from the man, beginning with the first hole.
---

As always, John, I respect your opinion.

Ron M.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:17:53 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
Looks like a solid Doak 2 or 3.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:45 PM »
Based on what, my photos?  That might be the most uninformed comment I've read on this site, Garland, so congratulations to you.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »
Isn't a 6 a course that you should play if you are in the area?

Why wouldn't it be at least a 6?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Blain

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Doak gave Crag Burn a 6 and LaFayette Hills ain't no Crag Burn.

It's likely a 3 on the Doak scale.

It's certainly not the worst course you will ever play but hardly worth a trip.

IMHO.

-John

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »
Based on what, my photos?  That might be the most uninformed comment I've read on this site, Garland, so congratulations to you.

Ronald,

See the bite me thread. ;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 09:01:19 PM »
Hmm...I guess it was right before it went back to private that I got to play it.

2 or 3? Mediocre to Average?

Pedigree aside, this is a dynamic rolling property with several really interesting holes.  Yes, it needs some loving care.  Yes, some of the hazards have probably disappeared.  And yes, not every hole will be a photographer's dream.

The back and forth on the front nine is a bit tedious, but the back nine is pretty neat.

But we are talking at least 5 on the DS.  With some work, it could even be one of the best in its area.

I think it could sneak into an upstate Top 50 list, depending how the area is defined.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »
I'll remind everyone that the Doak scale is not perfect.  Not every assessment is spot on, as they say in Mississippi.  It is courses like Lafayette that suffer at the hands of the acolytes to the snobbotorium.  No, Lafayette is not a 6, just as Crag Burn is not, neither.  Crag Burn is a 7 or 7.5, while Lafayette is a 5 to 5.5  If the bunkering were to receive a makeover (perhaps as Tillinghast envisioned them to be), it would reach its potential.

It wasn't until I revisited the photos (after Garland irked my chain) that I realized that many of the bunkers have flattened demonstrably.  The piece of property is an incredible one, yet it is the highest pint that is the flattest and most architecturally challenged.  I wish I had more shots of the greens and the rolling lower fairways, but nay, I do not.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back