News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Rossi

Re: For the love of the game.
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2010, 09:10:01 AM »
We can only hope the Canucks don't choke tonight and mess up the dream matchup on Sunday!!   ;D

We are getting closer to the Sunday match up. Hope Canada hold on. Slovaks playing defensive.

For the folks up north, how depressing is it going to be that not only are you economically dependant on a robbin hood administration with virtually no private sector experience south of the border and your golf season is only 5 months long, but the good 'ole U, S of A can school you at your national pastime as well?  8)

We shall see in a few hours.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2010, 12:47:44 PM »
Fantastic game, well done to the Canadian team, congratulations to the USA team on silver.  Interesting that Crosby and Iginla combined on the winning goal--they really hadn't done much since the Switzerland game.  The NHL had better figure out a way to be in Sochi.  Olympic hockey on Russian ice should make for another great tournament. 

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2010, 01:25:55 PM »

The Game is a great read, and it is impressive that Dryden had no co-writer.

Cornell education.  ;)

McGill as well

Also, my friend in law school sent me this article last week: http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/02/21/10-things-about-the-miracle-on-ice/  Read #8.  Dryden announced the game with Michaels, but he took the day off the day before to drive up to Canada and pass the bar exam. 

Regarding ice size, it had to be an advantage for the Can./USA, but it is probably a bit overplayed.  Logistically with money and sightlines, they probably could not have put in Olympic ice at GM Place even if they wanted to.  Personally, I thought the pace was even faster and play overall better than in years with the larger ice.  The wider ice usually just seems to allow teams to sit back and stack the blue line.

Regarding the tournament, it was just amazing.  I was completely consumed with the incredible level of play and pulled hard for the Americans, whose lineup I had been really excited about since it was announced, especially with the Michigan ties to over a third of the players, including our rock in net.  I want the pros in the Games.  The Olympics are about the best athletes in the world, and the NHL has the best players.  The best should be the best, and the NHLers have proved their worth and passion, unlike some certain hoop and ball game at times...
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2010, 01:34:30 PM »
Yes, the better team on paper and on the day won the gold medal.  That said, hockey is no longer Canada's game - parity is here and I think it is for keeps.  Despite being the best team on paper, Canada was fortunate to go all the way because in practically all their games they had long periods of falling asleep at the wheel.  In truth, any of several teams could have won this tourney and that has to be good for hockey.

Ciao  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:46:25 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

George Pazin

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »
I'm bummed for the US team, but happy for Sid the Kid.

Fun tourney, it's a shame the NHL doesn't adopt the international attitude toward fighting, goon tactics, etc.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Will MacEwen

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »
Yes, the better team on paper and on the day won the golf medal.  That said, hockey is no longer Canada's game - parity is here and I think it is for keeps.  Despite being the best team on paper, Canada was fortunate to go all the way because in practically all their games they had long periods of falling asleep at the wheel.  In truth, any of several teams could have won this tourney and that has to be good for hockey.

Ciao   

Sean - I think Can, US and Russia are strong, but some teams like the Finns and Slovaks don't seem to have much talent in the pipeline.  I'm not sure about Sweden, I didn't see much of them.  There sure is good goaltending all over though, and that can make any team competitive.

USA and Canada both had lots of youth - they will both be heard from again in 2014. 

The calibre of play yesterday was exquisite. 

George Pazin

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »
Sean - I think Can, US and Russia are strong, but some teams like the Finns and Slovaks don't seem to have much talent in the pipeline.  I'm not sure about Sweden, I didn't see much of them.  There sure is good goaltending all over though, and that can make any team competitive.

USA and Canada both had lots of youth - they will both be heard from again in 2014. 

One of the really beautiful things about sports to me is how fast things can change. I wouldn't discount the Finns, the Slavs, etc. I sure wouldn't have thought the rest of the world would make the inroads in basketball that it has.

I don't know if the non-hardcore fans on this thread know this, but Sid actually lives with the Lemieuxs in Pittsburgh. Pretty cool having two such unbelievable stars in that household. It must be both very weird and yet very natural for Mario's son to be out on the ice, playing with those two. Seeing Mario hug Sid after last year's Cup was just one of those things you never forget, looked like a proud father and son.

Some other related random thoughts:

- Mario's son was born prematurely and was in the hospital for awhile. When things had more or less cleared up and it was apparent he would be okay, Mario had an unreal game. Pens HOF announcer Mike Lange said prior to the game that "we might see something special". Mario went out and scored 5 goals. Sometimes he made it look just unbelievably easy; well, most of the time, really.

- I remember when Mario came out of retirement and led the Pens on a long playoff run. I saw Mario at his golf tourney a couple weeks later (just as a spectator, I'm not a friend... :)) and said, thanks for the playoff run, Mario. He simply nodded and said, okay. A more understated superstar you will likely never find.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim Pitner

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »
Will,

I saw multiple games from each of the Big 7 teams and I was somewhat disappointed in the teams other than Canada and the USA, i.e. Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czechs and Slovaks.  Russia's problems were its defensemen and Nabakov against Canada, but the other teams seemed old, relying on past stalwarts like Forsberg, Selanne and Jagr.  It's hard to know, though, whether these teams chose international experience over youth and whether they have some young talent they didn't bring.  In any event, the results were dramatically different from Turin to Vancouver and I would expect a similar result in Sochi.  You'd have to think the Russians will bring it next time and, as tempting as it is to think Canada and the USA will be there in the end again, I'd be shocked if the Europeans don't have a better tournament in Sochi.  

And George is absolutely right about cleaning up the fighting in the NHL--the game doesn't need it and it's embarrassing. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:42:19 PM by Tim Pitner »

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »
Yes, the better team on paper and on the day won the golf medal.  That said, hockey is no longer Canada's game - parity is here and I think it is for keeps.  Despite being the best team on paper, Canada was fortunate to go all the way because in practically all their games they had long periods of falling asleep at the wheel.  In truth, any of several teams could have won this tourney and that has to be good for hockey.

Ciao   

Will

If the Slovaks disappointed then you must not have been thrilled with Canada.  I think the Slovaks looked like they could beat Canada because for some reason Canada never played a 60 minute game.  I wonder what the average wage difference between the two teams is?  I still think North Americans are a bit wrapped up in their stars and try to look for ways to make them seem better than Euros.  The surprising thing about Slovakia is they played bruising hockey like Canada likes to and maybe they wore down the Canadians - perhaps the same thing is true of the States. 

Ciao

Will MacEwen

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »
Where did I say that the Slovaks disappointed me?  I said they don't have much talent in the pipeline, which seems like a completely different thing. 

The Slovaks looked like they could beat Canada, of course.  They also looked like they could beat the US, no? 

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »
The surprising thing about Slovakia is they played bruising hockey like Canada likes to and maybe they wore down the Canadians - perhaps the same thing is true of the States. 

Ciao

Not really.  Only one Slovak player has never played a game in the NHL, and he was their 3rd goalie.  So they are used to a North American style game as well as the smaller ice surface.  Full disclosure, Ivan Baranka only played one game in the NHL for the Rangers, but he did play 5 seasons in the minors.

I have to respectfully disagree with your premise that hockey is no longer Canada's game; and it has nothing to do with winning a gold medal.  Win or lose yesterday this still would be my position. 

With just over half of the NHL's players being Canadian (52%), this is more than twice as many as the next largest country.  I recently read that there are over 3000 Canadians playing professional hockey in Europe.  I admit that this number seems way too high, but if you look at the top 2 scorers in Switzerland and 2 out of the top 5 scorers in Germany. you will find that they are Canadian.  These are players considered not good enough to be in the NHL.  Unlike soccer players from Brazil, Canada doesn't export their best players.  In fact, if you were to consider the number of elite foreign born players trained in Canada (Chara and Kane immediately spring to mind), the effect would be even greater.  I do know Toews went to North Dakota.

At the very top you may have a point. Although I think a second Canadian team would have  had a realistic shot at a medal and I don't think any other nation could claim that.  How does Richards-Stamkos-St. Louis sound as a first line? (I know another centre moving to a wing)  However, when it comes to depth and overall quality it is still not even close.

The US has not yet won a World Baseball Classic;  haven't even made it to the final.  Just over one third of major leaguers are not from the US.  Has baseball ceased to be America's game?  The answer is the same as Canada and hockey.  Not by a long shot.

George Pazin

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2010, 12:55:03 AM »
Has baseball ceased to be America's game?

You had me till this point. I'm not sure baseball is even played in America anymore. :) I'd say football is America's game.

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2010, 01:49:09 AM »
The surprising thing about Slovakia is they played bruising hockey like Canada likes to and maybe they wore down the Canadians - perhaps the same thing is true of the States. 

Ciao

Not really.  Only one Slovak player has never played a game in the NHL, and he was their 3rd goalie.  So they are used to a North American style game as well as the smaller ice surface.  Full disclosure, Ivan Baranka only played one game in the NHL for the Rangers, but he did play 5 seasons in the minors.

I have to respectfully disagree with your premise that hockey is no longer Canada's game; and it has nothing to do with winning a gold medal.  Win or lose yesterday this still would be my position. 

With just over half of the NHL's players being Canadian (52%), this is more than twice as many as the next largest country.  I recently read that there are over 3000 Canadians playing professional hockey in Europe.  I admit that this number seems way too high, but if you look at the top 2 scorers in Switzerland and 2 out of the top 5 scorers in Germany. you will find that they are Canadian.  These are players considered not good enough to be in the NHL.  Unlike soccer players from Brazil, Canada doesn't export their best players.  In fact, if you were to consider the number of elite foreign born players trained in Canada (Chara and Kane immediately spring to mind), the effect would be even greater.  I do know Toews went to North Dakota.

At the very top you may have a point. Although I think a second Canadian team would have  had a realistic shot at a medal and I don't think any other nation could claim that.  How does Richards-Stamkos-St. Louis sound as a first line? (I know another centre moving to a wing)  However, when it comes to depth and overall quality it is still not even close.

The US has not yet won a World Baseball Classic;  haven't even made it to the final.  Just over one third of major leaguers are not from the US.  Has baseball ceased to be America's game?  The answer is the same as Canada and hockey.  Not by a long shot.

Paul

It couldn't be more than 40 years ago when the NHL was probably 95% Canadian.  Things have changed my man and I think we will continue to the influence of non-Canadian players growing.  Of course, I think it is great for hockey.  The quality of play today compared to when I was a kid is like two different worlds.  The quality of players has probably improved more than in any other "major" sport.  That is nearly all down to the Euros and the North American REACTION to the Euros.  Its sort of like Japanese cars - they raised the level of quality across the board.

Ciao

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2010, 03:04:18 AM »
George - doyou mean football with helmets and padding = $$$ or football with round ball and no cost for kids other than the ball?
Cave Nil Vino

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »
Paul

It couldn't be more than 40 years ago when the NHL was probably 95% Canadian.  Things have changed my man and I think we will continue to the influence of non-Canadian players growing.  Of course, I think it is great for hockey.  The quality of play today compared to when I was a kid is like two different worlds.  The quality of players has probably improved more than in any other "major" sport.  That is nearly all down to the Euros and the North American REACTION to the Euros.  Its sort of like Japanese cars - they raised the level of quality across the board.

Ciao

Sean,

I'll bet that it was more than 95% 40 years ago.  But 40 years ago there were only 14 teams.  Go back 3 more years and that number was only 6.  There are more Canadians in the NHL now than 40 years ago. 

I agree with you that the quality of play today is miles ahead of what it was then.  Look at The Summit Series or the New Year's Eve Montreal v Red Army game and compare it to what we saw over the last two weeks; it isn't close.  Although I do think Ken Dryden would have a job in 2010.  Not Dave Dryden though ;D  I'm glad the quality of play around the world is what it is.  Without it the NHL could not have 30 somewhat competitive teams.  There is no way it could be done with a 95% Canadian league.

What I forgot to mention that given the focus and resources put into Canadian hockey, it should be our game.  Most of the best athletes still have hockey as there focus (although not as much as in the past); the hockey infrastructure in Canada is miles ahead of other nations; and as a nation we care more than most countries...OK all of them.  Where else is The World Juniors a sell-out?  If Canada wasn't still the top hockey playing nation after all of this, then something would be very wrong.

This is changing, but the nation on the rise is the US.  The USHL and the U-18 development program are really starting to create world class players.

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »
Paul

It couldn't be more than 40 years ago when the NHL was probably 95% Canadian.  Things have changed my man and I think we will continue to the influence of non-Canadian players growing.  Of course, I think it is great for hockey.  The quality of play today compared to when I was a kid is like two different worlds.  The quality of players has probably improved more than in any other "major" sport.  That is nearly all down to the Euros and the North American REACTION to the Euros.  Its sort of like Japanese cars - they raised the level of quality across the board.

Ciao

Sean,

I'll bet that it was more than 95% 40 years ago.  But 40 years ago there were only 14 teams.  Go back 3 more years and that number was only 6.  There are more Canadians in the NHL now than 40 years ago.  

I agree with you that the quality of play today is miles ahead of what it was then.  Look at The Summit Series or the New Year's Eve Montreal v Red Army game and compare it to what we saw over the last two weeks; it isn't close.  Although I do think Ken Dryden would have a job in 2010.  Not Dave Dryden though ;D  I'm glad the quality of play around the world is what it is.  Without it the NHL could not have 30 somewhat competitive teams.  There is no way it could be done with a 95% Canadian league.

What I forgot to mention that given the focus and resources put into Canadian hockey, it should be our game.  Most of the best athletes still have hockey as there focus (although not as much as in the past); the hockey infrastructure in Canada is miles ahead of other nations; and as a nation we care more than most countries...OK all of them.  Where else is The World Juniors a sell-out?  If Canada wasn't still the top hockey playing nation after all of this, then something would be very wrong.

This is changing, but the nation on the rise is the US.  The USHL and the U-18 development program are really starting to create world class players.

Paul

Imagine if we had a 16 team NHL?  Jumpin Jats, with the salary cap in place, nobody could predict a Stanley winner - or at least they wouldn't dare bet on their guess.  

I recall the days when the NHL had a handful of stars.  Now, all teams have a genuine star.  Without a star it would be very much more difficult to open up some of these market places.  All that said, I would much rather have about a 22 team NHL and try to build properly from there rather than following growth cities.  I would ditch

Tampa, Atlanta, Florida, Carolina, Nashville, San Jose, Anaheim, Phoeniz, LA & Dallas.  Washington is VERY borderline.  

I would look to add

Winnipeg, Milwaukee, Portland, Seattle and Maybe Salt Lake City.  I wouldn't even be adverse to a 2nd team in Toronto.  

I know it could never ever happen, but I would like to see divisions of pro hockey like English football.  A system where teams (its ok to ahve southern teams in this system) go up and down the divisions (not all in North America) and only the top division of say 20 teams competes for Stanley.  Additionally, a complete overhaul of the playoffs where maybe 6 teams make the playoffs and the conference winner is given a buy into the semis (2nd round).  Lets face it, hockey lasting until June is stupid.  

Ciao  

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:27:14 AM by Sean Arble »

Michael Rossi

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »
Some (most) Canadians consider hockey to be a religion:

Our Father, who art in GM Place, HOCKEY be thy name, thy will be done. GOLD to be WON on ice as well as in the stands, give us this day, our hockey sticks and forgive us our penalties, as we forgive those who crosscheck against us. LEAD US not into elimination but deliver us TO VICTORY, in the name ... of the fans, CANADA and the Holy Puck. AMEN!!

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2010, 10:40:43 AM »

Paul

It couldn't be more than 40 years ago when the NHL was probably 95% Canadian.  Things have changed my man and I think we will continue to the influence of non-Canadian players growing.  Of course, I think it is great for hockey.  The quality of play today compared to when I was a kid is like two different worlds.  The quality of players has probably improved more than in any other "major" sport.  That is nearly all down to the Euros and the North American REACTION to the Euros.  Its sort of like Japanese cars - they raised the level of quality across the board.

Ciao

Sean,

I'll bet that it was more than 95% 40 years ago.  But 40 years ago there were only 14 teams.  Go back 3 more years and that number was only 6.  There are more Canadians in the NHL now than 40 years ago.  

I agree with you that the quality of play today is miles ahead of what it was then.  Look at The Summit Series or the New Year's Eve Montreal v Red Army game and compare it to what we saw over the last two weeks; it isn't close.  Although I do think Ken Dryden would have a job in 2010.  Not Dave Dryden though ;D  I'm glad the quality of play around the world is what it is.  Without it the NHL could not have 30 somewhat competitive teams.  There is no way it could be done with a 95% Canadian league.

What I forgot to mention that given the focus and resources put into Canadian hockey, it should be our game.  Most of the best athletes still have hockey as there focus (although not as much as in the past); the hockey infrastructure in Canada is miles ahead of other nations; and as a nation we care more than most countries...OK all of them.  Where else is The World Juniors a sell-out?  If Canada wasn't still the top hockey playing nation after all of this, then something would be very wrong.

This is changing, but the nation on the rise is the US.  The USHL and the U-18 development program are really starting to create world class players.

Paul

Imagine if we had a 16 team NHL?  Jumpin Jats, with the salary cap in place, nobody could predict a Stanley winner - or at least they wouldn't dare bet on their guess.  

I recall the days when the NHL had a handful of stars.  Now, all teams have a genuine star.  Without a star it would be very much more difficult to open up some of these market places.  All that said, I would much rather have about a 22 team NHL and try to build properly from there rather than following growth cities.  I would ditch

Tampa, Atlanta, Florida, Carolina, Nashville, San Jose, Anaheim, Phoeniz, LA & Dallas.  Washington is VERY borderline.  

I would look to add

Winnipeg, Milwaukee, Portland, Seattle and Maybe Salt Lake City.  I wouldn't even be adverse to a 2nd team in Toronto.  

I know it could never ever happen, but I would like to see divisions of pro hockey like English football.  A system where teams (its ok to ahve southern teams in this system) go up and down the divisions (not all in North America) and only the top division of say 20 teams competes for Stanley.  Additionally, a complete overhaul of the playoffs where maybe 6 teams make the playoffs and the conference winner is given a buy into the semis (2nd round).  Lets face it, hockey lasting until June is stupid.  

Ciao  

Sean,

Don't tease me.  A 16 team league would look like the Olympics for 7 months.  I'm not sure my marriage could handle that much quality hockey.

I too think it would be a novel idea to have a promotion/relegation system in place, even if Toronto drops to Division 2.  But it will never fly here.  Hockey can't sell now in places that get to see Crosby, Ovechkin, and the others a few times a year.  Imagine if they never saw any of them languishing in a lower division?

What would be really neat would be a professional cup like the FA Cup.  Can you imagine the Texas Wildcatters of the ECHL playing the Penguins?  There, I just pushed hockey into July.

Don't forget Quebec City.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back