News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

Mackenzie Plan for Titirangi
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:37:05 AM »
On an old thread here I found a reference to there being a Mackenzie routing plan for Titirangi GC in their clubhouse. This was a bit of a surprise to me as I had never heard it mentioned before, certainly did not appear in The Life and Work of Dr Mackenzie. I asked Nick Leefe of Alwoodley if he saw the plan on his recent trip to NZ and he said that Titirangi had given Alwoodley a plan which superimposed today's holes over Mac's original 1927 plan - this is framed and on display in the Alwoodley clubhouse. Nick took a couple of pics - fairly poor quality though - and I have posted them here.

Interested to hear whether anyone who has been to Titirangi has seen the original plan in their clubhouse.

Bob_Huntley

Re: Mackenzie Plan for Titirangi
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:40:04 AM »
Neil,

The one and only time I was in Titirangi was in December of 1971, I do not remember seeing the plan then.

You might want to get hold of Bob Glading, who was my playing companion that day, who lives in Auckland. He won the NZ Open as an amateur in 1949 and then the NZ PGA a year or two later. He has an encylopedic knowlege of all things concerning golf in NZ.

Bob

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:31:14 AM »
Thanks Bob
Must see Titirangi myself one of these days. Have played amateur events in NZ a couple of times in the 80s but didn't get to Titirangi. I understand Nick Leefe is in contact with someone from the club about it, so hopefully will be able to track down the original. Was just interested to see if anyone on here had viewed it. Probably back in 1971 the plan was rolled up and in the basement!

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:18:46 AM »
Hi Neil,

When I last played Titirangi, Ash Towe and I had a quick drink in the clubhouse after.
I remember looking at MacKenzie's plan, hangind on the wall.

I may even have a pic of it.
I'll do some searching of my picture files.

Ash may be able to chime in here too.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 07:15:34 AM »
Thanks Matthew for the confirmation - and it would be great if you could find a pic.
cheers Neil

Ash Towe

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:16:32 PM »
The plan is still there.  Unfortunately I have no pics.  Ed getka might have taken some photos when we went there on his down under trip.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
Thanks Ash
Lets hope Matthew or Ed can post a pic.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back