News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett Hochstein

Re: Alternate, GCA version of the top nine-hole courses in America
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »
Ahh I knew it--knew I would forget the obvious one.  Hickory Hill hidden in the lake suburb of Wixom, MI is my favorite US nine-holer, and I may even like it more than Anstruther. 

It has variety, quirk, a "local" feel, reasonable conditioning, and nice affordable rates.  The greens have some nice movement and variety--natural ridges, a punchbowl, a wicked tilter, a plateau, a tilted punchbowl, and a devilish cliffhanger on a par 3.  This is just a little old Mom and Pop joint (in the most literal sense, actually), and I have no idea how much thought actually went into the "design."  But there are some pretty damn good strategic problems out there, and the routing flows very nicely with the property.  I play here over all the other "pristinely manicured" cookie cutter courses whenever I am home.  I've always planned to do a write up of this course here; hopefully I can do that soon.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Jed Peters

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »
Without any doubt the best nine hole course I've encountered is Arbuckle Golf Club, Arbuckle, Ca.  We used to drive across the valley for the pleasure of play there, when I lived and worked in Chico, Ca.

Arbuckle, besides being beautifully perched above the Sacramento Valley, with views to the Sutter Buttes and the Cascades beyond, has a great routing through oaks and possessing a wonderful set of greens full of internal contours and lay of the land pitch.

The greens were ALWAYS maintained in immaculate condition, well before pure putting surfaces and high stimp readings were the expected norm.  

The best of those greens are divided by complex ridges, effectively making the targets demanding to get to, and punishing iron shots and chips played with indifference.

One more note, Arbuckle was the home and workplace of Dick Howe, one of my favorite characters of all time, and just about the best superintendent I have had the pleasure of knowing.  

Here's to ya Richard!!

Best,
Tom

ps.......Tom D., Arbuckle also has a great opening 5 par, with the tees actually set on the practice putting green, and the hole snaking up a gentle valley to a skylline green......cool stuff!

Tom J.--

Totally agreed.

I've done a couple "limit out on pheasants in the morning/9 holes in the afternoon" days.

PCCraig

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »
How about the Primrose 9 at The Country Club of Brookline. How many of the mentioned nine-hole courses could claim that 4 of their holes are US Open quality? (Even if it takes 4 to make 3!)
H.P.S.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »
Newman Municipal in Ithaca, NY ;)

Nice call! I actually never played it during my time in Ithaca, now I wish I had and I was there last summer.

Edgartown anyone?

Edgartown thread - http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36165.0/

Mike Cirba

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »
I know some folks here have been enamored with an upstate nine-holer called "Rip Van Winkle", purported to be Donald Ross.

I've never played it, but did come across a 1928 article that seems to indicate a different, much less well-known designer.

One of the things I love about the northeast and New England is the number of wonder old, funky nine-holers all over the place.

One of my favorites is Scotch Hills GC, which was the first African-American owned club in the country previously known as Shady Rest CC, and before that was known as Westfield CC, circa 1900.

It's only about 2500 yards, but has some of the wildest greens I've ever seen.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2010, 10:17:59 PM »
Wonder what people think of the following nine-holers:

- Lake Waramaug CC; New Preston, CT
- Sharon CC; Sharon, CT
- Fenwick GC; Old Saybrook, CT (I am shocked that this course is not on the list if Hotchkiss is, as neat as Hotchkiss is)
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »
Wonder what people think of the following nine-holers:

- Lake Waramaug CC; New Preston, CT
- Sharon CC; Sharon, CT
- Fenwick GC; Old Saybrook, CT (I am shocked that this course is not on the list if Hotchkiss is, as neat as Hotchkiss is)

Fenwick is a great place, but the course can't touch North Haven (Maine) or Edgartown for New England waterside 9 holers.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2010, 10:46:34 PM »
Don-

I grew up in Amarillo, TX and went to Texas Tech for a while and I agree with all of the 9-hole courses.  I actually played my first round of golf at a 9-hole course in Haskell, Texas.  I still go back every summer and play in the 2-man scramble with my grandfather.  As for a few other 9-holers that come to mind in West Texas are Shady Oaks in Baird, TX, Floydada CC, Friona CC, Canyon CC, Island Oaks in Idalou, Tule Lake in Tulia, basically name a small town in west texas and put CC behind it, and they have a 9 hole courses. 

One unique course is McLean CC, I believe it is the last course in Texas with sand greens. We had designed a 6-hole course for Boys Ranch, hopefully we can get that going soon.

Also, about 90 minutes west of Amarillo, a new Nicklaus 9-hole course has opened at Ute Lake called 12 Shores.  Its a pretty fun course, I was the only player the day I played and made it around in 4 hours for 36 holes.  They plan on adding 9 more holes, but with the economy who knows when that will be.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

JMorgan

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »
Phoenixville.  How is it that the Hugh Wilson Admiration Society missed calling up this one.  Worthy. 

Mike Cirba

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »
Phoenixville.  How is it that the Hugh Wilson Admiration Society missed calling up this one.  Worthy. 

Hi JMorgan...good to hear from you.

Unfortunately, I've not played Phoenixville, but hear it's great fun.

On the other hand, we've  yet fo find anything but anecodotal evidence that Hugh Wilson actually designed the course.    The closest contemporaneous article we've found suggests members from Plymouth helped to lay it out.

At this stage, we really don't know, frankly.

Perhaps it's a Macdonald/Raynor design?  ;)  :D

JMorgan

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »
http://www.phoenixvillecc.com/default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=293670&ssid=174765&vnf=1

Mike, for whatever reason they seem to think so.  Highly recommend it, sweet little course right off of 422. 

Mike Cirba

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 11:41:49 PM »
http://www.phoenixvillecc.com/default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=293670&ssid=174765&vnf=1

Mike, for whatever reason they seem to think so.  Highly recommend it, sweet little course right off of 422. 

James,

Oh, it's high, high on my list.

I do wish they could document their Wilson heritage with more artifacts....I'm obviously interested.

Matt Harrison

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010, 11:47:19 PM »
I am amazed to see Pottawottamie on Whitten's list.  It's in my old home town, a fun 9-holer, but top in the country?  Wow...

In the vicinity of The Dunes Club and Signal Point is Grand Beach, not a top 9-hole course in the US, but an old classic with some really unique, fun holes.  Pretty cool old place right near Lake Michigan, maybe the Dunes Club of the 1920's??

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2010, 12:38:25 AM »
Has anyone played Highland Links?  The course sits on a high bluff above the Atlantic and boasts a classic New England lighthouse by the 9th green.  Its in North Truro, MA, not far from P-town on the tip of Cape Cod.  It was a great golfing experience, a few quirky and unique holes, narrow fariways and fairly shaggy greens, a definate throw back golfing experience.  I went there with my brother and 4 friends, we had a blast and played the loop twice with different partners. 
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 09:45:31 AM »
Speaking of quaint nine-holers on Cape Cod, who has played the course at the Chatham Bars Inn?  My son and I had a great time there back in 1984 when he was about 13.  The course was short enough that my distance advantage (back in those days anyway!) was neutralized.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2010, 10:36:28 AM »
Mike,
I was looking at Phoenixville's website and even though they do have Hugh Wilson's name on display their 'history'  section makes no mention of him, but does mention the members from Plymouth helping with the covnstruction.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Cirba

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 10:41:18 AM »
Mike,
I was looking at Phoenixville's website and even though they do have Hugh Wilson's name on display their 'history'  section makes no mention of him, but does mention the members from Plymouth helping with the covnstruction.

Jim,

Yes, some time ago I believe it was mentioned here that Tom Doak got his info on Phoenixville from Mr. Bill Kittleman when he did his attribution for "Confidential Guide".   Certainly among the old-timers the story that Wilson created the course seems to have been handed down and I haven't had the opportunity to ask Mr. Kittleman about it directly.

However, what we know at present is there is maddeningly little information about the formation of the club in the Philly newspapers of the time, except the one that Joe found and posted some time ago here that mentioned the linkage with Plymouth members.

I suspect there is more to the story and the course's evolution, as when there's smoke....

However,

Mike Cirba

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
Some time back when this was being discussed, Tom Paul wrote;

"There is a man by the name of Fred Christman who for many years was the competitions director of the Golf Association of Philadelphia and has been a member of Phoenixville GC for many many years who told me over 25 years ago that the club is sure Wilson was their architect and can prove it."

Tom Paul....I think you have a mission here if you choose to accept it.   ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:58 AM »
I know some folks here have been enamored with an upstate nine-holer called "Rip Van Winkle", purported to be Donald Ross.
I've never played it, but did come across a 1928 article that seems to indicate a different, much less well-known designer.

Mike,
If you are referring to the course built by Lawrence Weber at Shandaken,  I am pretty sure that it was lost when the reservoir was built.
The present day Rip Van Winkle CC is in Palenville, not Shandaken, and I think(without looking) that the Ross Society lists it as a plan he drew for them, not an on-site visit

edit: just saw your PCC post. Yes, sounds like a mission for TEP.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:01:01 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2010, 10:59:57 AM »

Mike,
If you are referring to the course built by Lawrence Weber at Shandaken,  I am pretty sure that it was lost when the reservoir was built.
The present day Rip Van Winkle CC is in Palenville, not Shandaken, and i think(without looking) that the Ross Society lists it as a plan he drew for them, not an on-site visit

Jim,

That would be the one.   I was surprised to come across that article and made the mis-assumption that it was the same course.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.   Not too often I guess when an old nine-holer gets replaced by another old nine-holer.  ;)

Tim Gerges

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2010, 01:56:29 PM »
My favorite 9 hole courses are the ones that keep it simple and don't take themselves too seriously.  Edgartown, Hay Harbor and Hotchkiss have already been cited and are wonderful examples of this.

Another gem that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Acoaxet Club in Westport, MA.  Nobody seems to know who designed it, but an extremely fun course with water views on 8 of the 9 holes.  Not overly long or difficult, but with quick greens and windy conditions it's no pushover.  The club has a relaxed atmosphere and is a wonderful way to spend a summer afternoon.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Tim,
A couple of sites (Golf.com, Golflink) say that someone by the name of Larry McDonald was the architect at Acoaxet.

I've never heard the name.

Jim

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
Tom:

My apologies for not replying sooner. I haven't been on here in months.

The course I'm surprised Ron left off his list is Marion, George Thomas's first design, in Marion, Mass. on the same road you take to get to Kittanset. Ron does a wonderful job in the article describing it and then doesn't list it in his top 25.

I'm really partial to Fenwick in Old Saybrook, Conn., especially when the wind blows. It sits right on Long Island Sound.

I also have to disagree with Ron about the second nine at Prairie Dunes improving the course. I played the original 9 in order 1,2, 6-10, 17-18 and I think those holes are by far the best ones out there, especially when you see how the fit together as part of the intended sequence.

The original 9 at Rolling Rock is amazing and would be so much better if the bunkers were restored. I wish the club had given Brian Silva the land that includes the old steeplechase course rather than force him build the new 9 where he did.

I'm also partial to Cohasse, in Southbridge, Mass. where I first hit a golf ball. It's a mediocre Donald Ross with some very good holes. The opening four holes, with back-to-back par-3s, is really solid.

I have not visited any of the courses Bob Labbance wrote about for the Maine chapter but I know he was very partial to Wawenock Country Club, a Wayne Stiles design.

Anthony

Tony

Tom_Doak

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »
Tony:

Thanks for weighing in.

This may be a Mission: Impossible, since it seems that none of us have played more than 5-10 worthy candidates, and few have been cited as absolute must-haves.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2010, 04:21:51 PM »

Another gem that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Acoaxet Club in Westport, MA.  Nobody seems to know who designed it, but an extremely fun course with water views on 8 of the 9 holes.  Not overly long or difficult, but with quick greens and windy conditions it's no pushover.  The club has a relaxed atmosphere and is a wonderful way to spend a summer afternoon.

Stuck between Newport and Cape Cod, nobody really talks about Westport (MA). I did not play the course, but I attended a wedding one day at Acoaxet and that is a beautiful spot. Combined with Horseneck Beach, these have to be two of the quieter New England gems that nobody seems to talk about.  

Now that I think about it, throw in nearby Sakonnet and that may be my new #1 for a 27 hole day of golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back