News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

I thought that this would be an interesting topic to discuss on GCA.

It has been predicted that the famed links at the Royal West Norfolk will disappear by 2050 due to rising sea levels or coastal erosion.

This makes me think what are the options for the Royal West Norfolk Club?

These are the different options I have thought of so far -

1 – Make the course grade I listed to improve the chances of building much improved coastal defences to protect such a unusual course – very unlikely and ££££££££

2 – Build a replacement course – more likely to be inland due to the nature of the coastline in North Norfolk which is mostly marshland. Sandy based linksland is very rare in this area. The other option is to dig up the entire existing course (sand and sleepers etc) and relocate them onto the new site. The Sandringham Estate has areas that has sandy substructure.

3 – Merge with Hunstanton or Sheringham Golf Club and use their course – interesting but unlikely.

4 – Dissolve the Royal West Norfolk club as they would be homeless – unlikely.

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

I would have thought that the members could afford a second course built elsewhere in the next 10 years to allow it to mature over the next 20-30 years

Jamie Barber

Looks likes this is on the radar, and for other famous links too:
http://www.golfecology.co.uk/articles/coastal.html

Not sure of the date of this.

There is of course historical precedent for relocation (even if not for the same reasons) .. HCEG and Royal Blackheath for example

BTW I posted a topic along these lines before but it turned into a fight between those who do and don't believe in climate change.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38944.0/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:17:46 AM by Jamie Barber »

Adrian_Stiff

Ben

I would imagine some members would go to Hunstanton, some Sheringham. Brancaster would probably be one of the first to go if coastal erosion continues. I suppose they would have no assetts if everything went to the sea and I presume their fate is uninsurable. As for another new course  build, it would have to be local, and it would be hard to better the other great courses of that region so probably it wont stack up.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tim Nugent

Seems the Dutch are pretty good at solving  these kind of  problems.
Coasting is a downhill process

Tom_Doak

Well, according to some, rising seas and global warming are all a lie, and the Royal West Norfolk club has no reason to worry.

On the other hand, if they aren't a lie, Brancaster will be the first links course to disappear under the water ... and a symbol.  Unfortunately, it will be a bit too late then to reverse the tide (pardon the pun).

Tim, you should go see the course before it disappears.  Any attempt to save it [in the Dutch matter] would ruin the atmosphere.

Actually, even before it goes underwater, they're going to have issues because the road to the course goes underwater at low tide.  The rising sea levels will cut off THE ACCESS before anything else.

Mark Chaplin

Very interesting question, I'd be surpirsed if such a traditional club moved inland. I'd imagine a number of the weekenders would relocate their cottages elsewhere and join other clubs. Those linked to the Court would probably go to Hunstanton.

Due to drifting sands Rye is growing unlike most links courses.
Cave Nil Vino

Tim Nugent

Tom, the article said 250mm by 2050.  Is the site such that a berm to stop 250mm would ruin the aestheics?  The pictures did show what looked like esturary inlets that protruded into the course.
Although I generally dislike the RR tie bulkhead, for some reason I really liked theirs.  Perhaps , if the start now, in 40 years they could build one around the course.

Seems they don't have the money or desire to relocate and can't afford to bridge a road that floods.  Is it mostly out-of-towners then who are members.
Coasting is a downhill process

Bill_McBride

BTW I posted a topic along these lines before but it turned into a fight between those who do and don't believe in climate change.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38944.0/

Imagine that happening!   :o

First the cheater line, then Merion, then climate change.

Bill_McBride

Well, according to some, rising seas and global warming are all a lie, and the Royal West Norfolk club has no reason to worry.

On the other hand, if they aren't a lie, Brancaster will be the first links course to disappear under the water ... and a symbol.  Unfortunately, it will be a bit too late then to reverse the tide (pardon the pun).

Tim, you should go see the course before it disappears.  Any attempt to save it [in the Dutch matter] would ruin the atmosphere.

Actually, even before it goes underwater, they're going to have issues because the road to the course goes underwater at low tide.  The rising sea levels will cut off THE ACCESS before anything else.

I wish I could post the wonderful Rountree painting from Darwin's book of the boat taking golfers to Portmarnock.  Maybe that's what will have to happen first at Brancaster!

Mark_Rowlinson

If this really does happen - and I won't be here to find out - then there are going to be towns and cities threatened and any public money there may still be in the pot following the profligacy of our present government is going to be needed for that. And if we really do get that amount of rise in the sea level what happens to the Netherlands, not to mention Pacific Islands galore.

Even if the waters did not rise there will still be serious erosion on that coastline. Go and play Sheringham before it crumbles into the sea - it's been doing it for years.

Pete_Pittock

250mm = .25 meter or  a skosh less than 10 inches. They could build a bridge or purchase a high clearance vehicle for access.  I haven't been there for 12-13 years but I don't think a rise of less than 1 foot would affect play or change holes.

Mark Chaplin

Brancaster is basically sandy marshland and the serious problem is erosion even small rises in the water level would be likely add to this.

Public money may rightly be spent to save homes and jobs but should not be spent to save golf courses.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

If this really does happen - and I won't be here to find out - then there are going to be towns and cities threatened and any public money there may still be in the pot following the profligacy of our present government is going to be needed for that. And if we really do get that amount of rise in the sea level what happens to the Netherlands, not to mention Pacific Islands galore.

Even if the waters did not rise there will still be serious erosion on that coastline. Go and play Sheringham before it crumbles into the sea - it's been doing it for years.

Mark

The Netherlands long ago realized they cannot financially keep pace with rising sea levels.  They have been experimenting with controlled flooding - creating inland seas away from population centres - with floatable houses.  Its far cheaper, creates a better standard of living and doesn't cause messy upgrades for infrastructure.  One thing is for sure, if folks want to know what the cutting edge thinking is for the problem of rising seas near population centres - research the Netherlands.

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark_Rowlinson

Wasn't it the response to the erosion problem at Ballybunion which was so successful that it brought in so much money that they were able to build the Cashen Course?

Ben Stephens

A bridge access would be one solution of getting across the marshland - the Celtic Manor recently spent £2 million building a bridge over the River Usk to create access to a temporary practice area as the current one is to become the 2010 Ryder Cup tented village. The other solution - cheaper! is to go across the marshes by boat and have the car park on the mainland.

If the prophecy of doom re:global warming and rising sea levels becomes true the course would then be NLE very soon! There are few places for a worthy replacement - another coastal area which is much more protected and another Kingsbarns or Castle Stuart style course created on the Norfolk coast. Otherwise Hunstanton will become 'Royal Hunstanton' if the RWN members move there.

Formby is the only course that I know that has lost a couple of holes due to coastal erosion. But to my surprise in Jamie Barber's reply the link to golf ecology - there was a comment that Porthcawl has lost its 2nd green - I dont know if thats true (well I hope not for the sake of BUDA 2010!) I have looked on the club's website its still there - I know there is a alternative green for the 2nd.

Cheers
Ben

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Chaplin

Ben - I wouldn't claim to be an expert but RWNGC could play over the Hunstanton links lots of Scottish courses have several clubs linked to them - but Hunstanton Golf Club would only be Royal if Royal status was awarded to them, they couldn't take on Royal status via RWNGC.

Tony Muldoon maybe able to confirm that Royal Epping Forest Golf Club share a course in Chingford with another club??
Cave Nil Vino

Jason McNamara

How far was Brancaster from the sea 250 years ago?  If Sheringham had been founded in 1750, would that course already be gone?  (During the last Ice Age, the Wash was 300-ish *miles* inland - and in geologic terms, even that is the blink of an eye.)

Mark Chaplin

Further around the Norfolk coast is a church that was 3 miles from the sea when it was built and the cliffs have been tumbling into the sea so its now only 800yds away, Brancaster is at sea level so the situation is slightly different.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

Neil_Crafter

If erosion is happening "really fast in places" then deposition is happening elsewhere. The Old Course was right on the ocean once and now there are a few more golf courses in between it and the sea now. Wait a while and there will be room for another one!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back