News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jonathan_becker

Muirfield - visitor policy
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
In preparation for my first trip to Bandon in November, I've been reading "Dream Golf" by Stephen Goodwin.   In the book, Goodwin talks about how Mike Keiser got to play anywhere and everywhere to see the great links courses of this planet.  However, Muirfield was pretty much the only club that wouldn't let him out to play. 

I also remember from reading old golf magazines that Muirfield, at one point, was one of the most exclusive golf clubs in the world....and trying to get a tee time was damn near impossible.

So, why now can visitors tee off on tuesdays and thursdays?  Did The Honourable Company just one day decide to open the doors?  What happened?

All I know is that I can drive to my nearest airport (Cleveland) right now, buy a plane ticket to Scotland, and tee off tomorrow morning at 9am if I wanted to do so.....which actually sounds pretty sweet.  :)

Thanks in advance for the insight.

-Jonathan

jeffwarne

Re: Muirfield - visitor policy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »
In preparation for my first trip to Bandon in November, I've been reading "Dream Golf" by Stephen Goodwin.   In the book, Goodwin talks about how Mike Keiser got to play anywhere and everywhere to see the great links courses of this planet.  However, Muirfield was pretty much the only club that wouldn't let him out to play. 

I also remember from reading old golf magazines that Muirfield, at one point, was one of the most exclusive golf clubs in the world....and trying to get a tee time was damn near impossible.

So, why now can visitors tee off on tuesdays and thursdays?  Did The Honourable Company just one day decide to open the doors?  What happened?

All I know is that I can drive to my nearest airport (Cleveland) right now, buy a plane ticket to Scotland, and tee off tomorrow morning at 9am if I wanted to do so.....which actually sounds pretty sweet.  :)

Thanks in advance for the insight.

-Jonathan

in February...
try that in May-September

There are many ways to get on Muirfield however
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jonathan_becker

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
Jeff,

I know that in May-Oct you had better get your tee time a year in advance.  I just wanna know why I can play without being sponsored by a member. 

It just seems odd that a course can go from being ultra restrictive, to letting most anyone use the online tee time sheet.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:16:26 AM »
Jonathon, Rye and Swinley Forest have also recently gone from very tight visitor policies to a more open door approach. I guess each club has its own reasons.

I am told the guest fee at HCEG remains in the region of £5 for 36 holes and lunch, while the visitor pays about £200 - so there is still a great benefit to knowing someone (which I don't!).

Chuck Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:30:14 AM »
In my experience, Murifield has not been impossible to get onto.  I expect that Muirfield, and Prestwick, are the two toughest clubs in Scotland to play as an inunivited guest.*  But by no means "impossible."  Muirfield's reputation owes, I feel certain, to the hilarious old stories, most of them with a strong grain of truth, of the club's Secretary and starter, Paddy Hanmer.  I shall always remember my own first encounter with Paddy Hanmer.  Taking and passing the Bar Examination was easier, and less stressful, than my first visit to Muirfield.

"Impossible" = Augusta, Cypress Point and Seminole.  Muirfield and Prestwick are easy by comparison.

God bless the Scots.

*Edit -- I can't speak for Loch Lomond, which I have not visited...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:36:08 AM by Chuck Brown »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:31:19 AM »
I don't think Muirfield was ever quite as exclusive as it has been made out to be. I just checked my copy of Dream Golf, and in it Goodwin says that the reason Keiser didn't get to play there was that Jimmy Kidd hadn't called ahead.

Swinley has long had a good number of societies (albeit societies populated largely by 'the right sort of chap') playing there, and I've always been under the impression that a nice letter to the secretary would probably get you a game.

The thing is that we are so used in Britain to clubs being open to visitors pretty much all the time, except maybe at weekends, that anywhere where you can't just call the secretary or the pro and say you'd like to play tomorrow or the next day, gets a reputation as being exclusive. And naturally, because there aren't many clubs like that, they attract attention.

That's why Queenwood and Loch Lomond get so much press over here.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »
Scott,

5 pounds vs 200 pounds?  That's quite a difference!

Adam and Chuck,

Thanks for your insights as well.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »

It was always possible to book a game on visitor days -- although it's always been restricted to something like 24 visitors, two days a week, and you had to write well in advance.  That was different enough from other Scottish courses (where you can just walk up and pay), that to most Americans, Muirfield seemed impossible.  Now, with the benefit of e-mail, they will fill those same slots right up until the day before.

On top of that, the old secretary, Captain Hanmer, used to delight in making things difficult for Americans if he thought they didn't show enough respect.  If you got delayed in traffic heading through Edinburgh, and showed up late, you didn't get to play -- even if there was nobody else out there.  You were really at his mercy.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
Quotes from Golf World, Nov 2002:

"Even if you haven't played Muirfield you have probably heard about how Tom Watson was thrown off the course, just hours after having won The Open there. Or how Payne Stewart rang up to see if could play a practice round, when he was the reigning US Open champion, and was told he might be able to play on one of the neighbouring Gullane courses."

"Celebrity status counts for nothing here. Film stars have turned up at the daunting front gates, expecting to be able to "blag" a themselves a round on the course, and have been sent away disappointed. Even the Prince of Wales (later to become the Duke of Windsor) was once allegedly refused entry".

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:02:58 PM by Jamie Barber »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 11:54:40 AM »
I thought Muirfield had gone to an online booking system for visitors, albeit for limited spots. 

jonathan_becker

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:56:03 AM »
Tom D and Jamie,

Those are the stories I love hearing about.  Thanks

Chuck Brown

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 12:01:31 PM »

It was always possible to book a game on visitor days -- although it's always been restricted to something like 24 visitors, two days a week, and you had to write well in advance.  That was different enough from other Scottish courses (where you can just walk up and pay), that to most Americans, Muirfield seemed impossible.  Now, with the benefit of e-mail, they will fill those same slots right up until the day before.

On top of that, the old secretary, Captain Hanmer, used to delight in making things difficult for Americans if he thought they didn't show enough respect.  If you got delayed in traffic heading through Edinburgh, and showed up late, you didn't get to play -- even if there was nobody else out there.  You were really at his mercy.

Tom's right -- What Muirfield (and Capt. Hanmer) used to want from visitors (used to be true, I think it still is) was something that introduced them -- a letter from an American club, some proof of playing ability, etc.  They also wanted to know that visitors were making an effort to play.  Some advance arrangements, etc.  And they do NOT take kindly to slow play, and they want to avoid it among any visitors.

The HCEG scorecard used to be a simple cardboard square, with 18 holes, yadages and pars, and an instruction, "NO FOUR BALL MATCHES ALLOWED WITHOUT PERMISSION."  Is that still true?

For years, the great Capt. Hanmer story was about the guy who presented himself to play, and was questioned by Capt. Hanmer himself.  (I'll paraphrase -- no doubt I'll get details wrong...)  Capt. Hanmer askes the guy who he is.  He introduces himself, says that he is a former RAF Captain, a 2-handicap, and a former Captain of the Cambridge golf team.  Capt. Hanmer says, "9 holes..."

Chuck Brown

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 12:04:53 PM »
Oh, by the way, the story I learned years later about Capt. Hanmer was the one where he turned down an American who just showed up, even though the course was mostly empty.
The American then asked Captain Hanmer if he would pose for a photo with him.  Hanmer asked, "Why?"
The American said, "I just want a photo of the famous starter at Murifield who wouldn't let me play."
"Go get your clubs," Hanmer said.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:11:05 PM »

Tom's right -- What Muirfield (and Capt. Hanmer) used to want from visitors (used to be true, I think it still is) was something that introduced them -- a letter from an American club, some proof of playing ability, etc.  They also wanted to know that visitors were making an effort to play.  Some advance arrangements, etc.  And they do NOT take kindly to slow play, and they want to avoid it among any visitors.

The HCEG scorecard used to be a simple cardboard square, with 18 holes, yadages and pars, and an instruction, "NO FOUR BALL MATCHES ALLOWED WITHOUT PERMISSION."  Is that still true?

For years, the great Capt. Hanmer story was about the guy who presented himself to play, and was questioned by Capt. Hanmer himself.  (I'll paraphrase -- no doubt I'll get details wrong...)  Capt. Hanmer askes the guy who he is.  He introduces himself, says that he is a former RAF Captain, a 2-handicap, and a former Captain of the Cambridge golf team.  Capt. Hanmer says, "9 holes..."

Chuck - I always hear that story told about Swinley!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »
My wife didn't realize just how lucky she was to play Muirfiled until she was met at the gate and whisked away to the"ladies facilities" which she described as a shoe box.  She finally understood when she saw there were only 2 tee markers.  That day she played from the senior Men's tees. :D
Coasting is a downhill process

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »

Imagine that, a private club that made visitors make advance arrangements AND actually show up on time....
It's hard for me to believe anyone (especially one in the golf industry) would show up unannounced (anywhere) much less Muirfield.

particularly since the UK courses are so accessible(including Muirfield) with a tiny bit of planning.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »
Muirfield has a completely unfounded rep for inhospitality.  While I would like to play any day, their system of Tues/Thurs limited visitors actually makes a lot of sense.  I have been treated very well there and the secretary even remembered my face from 5 years previous.  I don't think it has ever been that hard to get on Muirfield with proper planning.  Its the sort of place all golfing animals should visit once.  Its one of the few traditional clubs left.

Ciao  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:00:48 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »
Sean - agreed.

I do not know of any 20+ year old UK that doesn't allow visitors at sometime in the week. I believe Loch Lomond does/did have a daily time for SGU members. Sisley and Queenwood are private but also big money clubs.

My HCEG friend took 11 years to join and his father was a member. I believe our own GCA "Lord of Northumberland" may have married into an HCEG family.
Cave Nil Vino

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
Looks like Muirfield is pretty open on T-TH until May. Then not many red x's on the calendar. 1 day in May, then none till October:

http://www.muirfield.org.uk/page/Visitors.aspx

I never tried to play Muirfield, but was turned away once at Troon 15 years ago. Took my favorite golf pic ever that day though, so it was still a great day.

Dan King

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »
My first attempt to play Muirfield I had a visitor time on Tuesday. That weekend Michael Douglass and Jack Nicholson were playing the course. The secretary saw them, got pissed off and closed Muirfield to visitors that week. We went and played the Glen course that day instead.

I'm never felt that same about Douglass and Nicholson movies since then.

I ended up playing it a number of times since then.

Cheers,
Dan King
It is on the flat side and at the first glance some people look upon it almost as an inland course, but after a round or two one becomes greatly impressed by the good golf that is to be obtained upon it and its excellent testing capacity.
 --Harry Vardon (1905, on Muirfield)

Tim Johnson

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
It is expensive to play Muirfield and you dont get to play the back tees and Muirfield is not a course where you move to the back tees . The story I heard is that a couple of golfers were kicked off the course because they werent raking the bunkers well enough. Also dont join up with the group in front of you to speed up play as we were very politely told after doing so. I was amazed to see about 40 golfers around the putting green prior to match and nobody spoke above a whisper. Everybody was scared they would be kicked off.
I liked the course but my dad pointed out I was not playing the real Muirfield as all the trouble off the tee was not coming into play from the tees we were playing. It is ticked off the bucket list but i wont be going back.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 01:50:12 PM »
A group of us had a great experience there in 2007 en route to the Reverse Old Course program at St Andrews.   ;D

I booked the Thursday tee time well in advance on the internet web site and then was vetted by email by a very nice assistant to the secretary.

On the day we played a 4 ball off the 10th tee while members were playing two balls off the first tee.  After a very pleasant and liquid lunch, we went out for foursomes off the first tee.

The only thing wrong with that arrangement is playing #10 as your first hole without much of a warm up.  I don't know about anyone else, but my caddie had me lay up in front of the cross bunkers that are about 100 yards out in front of that par 4!

Changing after the morning round into jacket and tie, and back into golf clothes for the afternoon round, and then back into jacket and tie for a post-round cocktail with Kelly Blake Moran, was not as onerous as it sounds, the food and drink and hospitality were excellent.  The staff could not have been nicer to us.

Just to clarify, it was the changing that was somewhat onerous, not having a drink with Kelly!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:33:04 PM by Bill_McBride »

Shane Wright

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 02:08:10 PM »
In 2001, I wrote Muirfield a letter about 8 months in advance of our scheduled September 20th trip.  They responded with a nice note saying they were full.  I wasn't completely surprised but the denial only caused us to want to play it more. 

Obviously, just before our trip, 9/11 happened.  We wondered whether we would still be able to make the trip.  For 5 or 6 days in a row once we got to Scotland, I called every morning starting at 6 or 7 a.m .  Eventually, we were able to find a cancellation due to the tragedy.  I felt somewhat guilty but was still very excited. 

I can say that the experience at Muirfield was top notch.  The hospitality was awesome.  And having a 36 hole day there is up there with the 2 or 3 most pleasant golfing days I've ever had.  I believe we were the only group on the course in the afternoon.  The alternate shot format was a complete blast and a round that our group of 4 still reflects back on as one of the most fun ever.  The thought of not playing your own ball the entire round was not as appealing at first, but we were thrilled that we stayed for the afternoon round.

I can't wait to get the opportunity to spend a day at Muirfield again.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 02:36:43 PM »
wrong muirfield...ha!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:18:08 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 05:24:41 PM »
Sean / Mark

Your positive experiences mirror mine. I was made to feel more than welcome in my two visits to Muirfield - very friendly staff indeed.

I also like the fact that so long as you abide by the protocol - you can "live the dream" by dining in the clubhouse with the members.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back