News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Best golf for the money
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »

Ravisloe CC in the Chicago suburbs is a great course considering their $30ish twilight rate.  As mentioned on here before, it's an old Jewish club that recently opened to the public.  Fun old school (short) Ross course which recently was restored by Prichard I believe.

$28 weekdays...Best Public course for the money in the metro Chicago Area.  Maybe the best Public course period......
Jud,  Do you really think Ravisloe is better than Pine Meadows or Cog #4? Ravisloe is certainly cheaper but when it was private it was at best a mid tier club in Chicago. Nice course but far from great.  Pine Meadows and Cog 4 are certainly the equivalent of midtier Chicago privates. Just my opinion,                  Jack
[/quote]

Jack,

I do prefer Ravisloe to Pine Meadow, but not by a huge margin.  Cog #4 is a better course, particularly for the strong player.  Haven't been out there since the Open Doctor got his hands on it.  Although at half the price and given my middling abilities, I'd rather have two plays at the Rav....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 10:22:04 AM »

Ravisloe CC in the Chicago suburbs is a great course considering their $30ish twilight rate.  As mentioned on here before, it's an old Jewish club that recently opened to the public.  Fun old school (short) Ross course which recently was restored by Prichard I believe.

$28 weekdays...Best Public course for the money in the metro Chicago Area.  Maybe the best Public course period......
Jud,  Do you really think Ravisloe is better than Pine Meadows or Cog #4? Ravisloe is certainly cheaper but when it was private it was at best a mid tier club in Chicago. Nice course but far from great.  Pine Meadows and Cog 4 are certainly the equivalent of midtier Chicago privates. Just my opinion,                  Jack
[/quote]

I'd agree with Jud here.  Cog #4 is definitely a great test for the skilled player and is a good course, but I think I would take 2-3 rounds at Rav over 1 round at Cog #4 for the same price...Ravisloe is just a fun course to play and is a great walk as well.

I have never played Pine Meadows.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tim Leahy

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 02:49:45 PM »
Any other votes for Torrey Pines at $58 weekdays and $73 weekends or Harding Park at $46 & $59? You have to live there but the deal is sweet enough to cause me to think about moving in (or getting a fake ID like back in high school).

Bethpage Red at $41 and $46 is the deal that gets a lot of New Yorkers up at 2 A.M.

For $20 I will give you my old San Diego address as a mail drop in order to get a resident card! 8)
Then all you have to do is file a change of address with the post office to have the card forwarded to your home.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2010, 04:20:11 PM »
Cabo del Sol Desert Course for $99?

jeffwarne

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »
The cheapest walk in off the street (no seasonal, guest fee etc etc reductions) deal I take up regularly is Kington as £22.  Rounding out my ten best deals are courses which aren't nearly as cheap as Kington (just shows how good I think Kington is), but they are still a great price for wonderful golf.  

St Enodoc £65
Enniscrone 50 Euros
Woking £60
North Berwick £80
Pennard £50
Cavendish £30
Lakewood Shores $62
Prestwick £120
Rye £80

Close but no cigar (which probably means wait a few years and if prices continue to rise these courses will be up top):

Sligo 78 Euros
Addington £65
Beau Desert £55
Tenby £40ish
Brora £40
Huntercombe £45
Lederach $51

Ciao

Sean,
Prestwick 3 times the price of Brora?
While I enjoyed Prestwick and appreciate its' history, I'll take Brora and Pennard anytime at the same price as Prestwick but at 33% of the cost it seems a no brainer

I nominate Portsalon at 40 euros or Aiken Golf Club at $25
Brooksville CC can be played for $29 inc. cart weekdays in high season
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Gary Slatter

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »
best golf for the money might be the US Open qualifying - pick your course and enjoy.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 04:47:45 PM »
Tom Doak - I believe there are around 2000 golf courses in the UK and I doubt more than 100 have any real overseas income, that's only 5% of clubs. I agree a few clubs have massively increased fees to milk the tourist but it is a commonly held mistake on this site that tourists/visitors pay for members golf over here.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:17 PM »
The cheapest walk in off the street (no seasonal, guest fee etc etc reductions) deal I take up regularly is Kington as £22.  Rounding out my ten best deals are courses which aren't nearly as cheap as Kington (just shows how good I think Kington is), but they are still a great price for wonderful golf.  

St Enodoc £65
Enniscrone 50 Euros
Woking £60
North Berwick £80
Pennard £50
Cavendish £30
Lakewood Shores $62
Prestwick £120
Rye £80

Close but no cigar (which probably means wait a few years and if prices continue to rise these courses will be up top):

Sligo 78 Euros
Addington £65
Beau Desert £55
Tenby £40ish
Brora £40
Huntercombe £45
Lederach $51

Ciao

Sean,
While I enjoyed Prestwick and appreciate its' history, I'll take Brora and Pennard anytime at the same price as Prestwick but at 33% of the cost it seems a no brainer

Jeff

You are probably right, but it seems a heresy not to mention at least one championship course.  I was trying to think in terms of a varied trip that would appeal.  I think Sandwich is probably a better course, but Prestwick has a certain quality to the day out which appeals greatly.  It still retains that traditional bent with its long table for lunch and yet it isn't (like Sandwich isn't) such big hassle as St Andrews or Muirfield.  If I don't play it again shortly I fear I will never go back because the prices are escalating rather rapidly.  In fact, I think my time is running out on just about all the championship courses. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Mark Pearce

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2010, 03:37:41 AM »
Prestwick not as big a hassle as Muirfield?  I'm not sure what happened when you've played at Muirfield, Sean, but I've played there as a visitor (rather than member's guest) on several occasions and haven't experienced any hassle at all.  A damn sight easier than visiting several "lesser" clubs, in fact.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2010, 03:50:40 AM »
Prestwick not as big a hassle as Muirfield?  I'm not sure what happened when you've played at Muirfield, Sean, but I've played there as a visitor (rather than member's guest) on several occasions and haven't experienced any hassle at all.  A damn sight easier than visiting several "lesser" clubs, in fact.

Mark

Booking a year in advance with handicap certs and money up front is what I call a hassle.  Then one must ask permission to swap deposits when the inevitable drop out occurs - this is a hassle.  Trying to convince the powers that be that I don't want to rush in, take a shower, eat and be back on the tee in an hour - after paying a princely sum - is a hassle.  To be fair, the Sec did let us lounge about and go out last after I badgered her for a spell - in her words it was "most unusual, but harmless".  Muirfield is a wonderful experience and all should do it once, but I won't go back as a visitor. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Martin Toal

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2010, 04:43:03 AM »
Silloth on Solway, Cumbria, UK. Not sure exactly what current green fee is, but used to be about £30 in summer on a weekday. Friendly welcome, too. They also take 2 for 1 vouchers in winter.

http://www.sillothgolfclub.co.uk/

jeffwarne

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:08 AM »

St Enodoc £65
Enniscrone 50 Euros
Woking £60
North Berwick £80
Pennard £50
Cavendish £30
Lakewood Shores $62
Prestwick £120
Rye £80

Sligo 78 Euros
Addington £65
Beau Desert £55
Tenby £40ish
Brora £40
Huntercombe £45
Lederach $51

Ciao

Sean,

Jeff

You are probably right, but it seems a heresy not to mention at least one championship course.  I was trying to think in terms of a varied trip that would appeal.  I think Sandwich is probably a better course, but Prestwick has a certain quality to the day out which appeals greatly.  It still retains that traditional bent with its long table for lunch and yet it isn't (like Sandwich isn't) such big hassle as St Andrews or Muirfield.  If I don't play it again shortly I fear I will never go back because the prices are escalating rather rapidly.  In fact, I think my time is running out on just about all the championship courses. 

Ciao

Sean,
One of the great things about playing a course not considered "championship" is that they are far more likely to suggest that you pick the tees you want, or their visitor tees are very close in yardage to the white (and often blue) tees.
I effect ,you often play more course on the charming old links then you do on the better known venues-Which is ironic because the older shorter courses aren't considered championship due to their length!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Baldwin

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2010, 12:09:44 PM »
Hunter's Ridge in Princeton, IL.  It's a former private club turned public.  Lots of elevation change, compression in the forest, decompression in the meadow, subtle internal contours on the tiny, postage stamp greens.  My girlfriend's father is a member there.  I played as a fill in with his regular foursome and we got around in 3 hours and 45 minutes - only saw one other group on the course.  $32 for a challenging round on a beautiful, secluded, well maintained course.

Cedar Crest in Dallas, TX.  A Tillinghast design that hosted the 1927 PGA Championship (they remind you at every hole).  D.A. Weibring recently did a renovation that includes the use of treated waste water for irrigation.  A whole lot of strategy and fun on a city owned course for only $27 on the weekend. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »
Sean,

None of that (other than booking well in advance) rings a bell from my last two times as a visitor.  When did you play there?

Mark

Martin,

Silloth is about £40 now but still comfortably qualifies.  I'd nominate Goswick as well, which is cheaper if not quite as good a course as Silloth.  It certainly beats the hell out of a number of more expensive East Lothian links.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

john_stiles

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »
George,

Ravisloe's most recent work was done by  David Esler,  who created Black Sheep.
I agree that Ravisloe is a good solid track, and at that price, a great bargain.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to best golf for the money,   it has to be a native in Scotland or England,  as a member playing a nice links or heathland with low subscription by generous support by the  American golfers and  'insert name' Golf Tours.   Just don't play on American day.   Pretty simple.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:29:39 PM by john_stiles »

Tim Martin

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2010, 08:32:09 PM »
Keney Park is a 1927 Dev Emmet design owned by the city of Hartford. At least twice a year they have dollar day which means a dollar a hole or $18 for the round with cart if you want to ride. Additionally draft beer, hot dogs,hamburgers,sodas and cigars are also a dollar. It doesn`t get much better than this.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »
Shadow Creek.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back