News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: JADED?
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 09:46:30 AM »

Anthony

Sorry, I thought that the mass exodus each year was all down to getting away from Pat Craig.  :o

You guys want to play on real genuine courses form time to time, sorry yes I now see your point. ;)
But you must have some bloody good ones considering the number in the USA, so I still put some of the blame at Pats door. Well its either blame the designers or Pat, so no contest ;D

Melvyn

Get a life.  ::)
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 09:49:26 AM »
Anthony

Yes, I understand being 'A Man of the Links'  I expect its like wanting to remain a virgin, well until you discover the reason its there. :-[

Melvyn

PS Hope you are keep well Pat, life overhere is great, lots of fun and the golf is getting warmer. Now be good

John Foley

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 10:12:01 AM »
I struggled for a while, after a trip to Sand Hills & Wildhorse in 2000, thinking about how am I ever going to get excited about going to play a new course after this? Since then I've played other fantastic courses, and for a long time, it was never quite the same unitl I came to realize, like John Lyon commented, the places you find don't need to be top 10 / top 100 to bring that memorable feeling.

You have to find excitement in the everyday. A few places I've been brought back the feeling, Leatherstocking is one.

I remember wanting to chase the dream, play every great course in the world, experiance it all. I still want to see & play great courses, but the desire for the Quest has diminished. There are other persuits to take up & more things to do.

We can be jaded, but you've got to not let that feeling rule your decisions & desires to play this game as well as other, activities.
Integrity in the moment of choice

JNC Lyon

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »
John, I'm glad you mentioned Leatherstocking.  It is hard to imagine a more magical setting for a golf course.  The first time I played there, I remember standing on the 11th tee, high above the rest of the course, looking out across Otsego Lake and the bare trees of the hillside beyond.  It was a great Indian summer day in early November.  The course 2.5 hours to walk.  One of my all-time favorite golf moments.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 10:27:52 AM »

There is golf and then there is travel golf. Your home course is not part of this question. When we travel to a new course are we consistantly underwhelmed because of our past experiences? Do we only travel to the ones that we think will gives us the next high?

Anthony

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 11:49:50 AM »
Anthony,

I don't think I'm jaded.  I simply refuse to play courses that I have no reason to believe have any real interest.  I still get quite a kick out of having my expectations exceeded, as at Talking Stick North over the holidays...However, when a "name" course fails to live up to it's billing, i.e. Rich Harvest, it's quite dissapointing.... 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Eric Smith

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »
I'm pulling one tiny thought out of my squished brain this morning, but I'd bet, to a man, that the participants at the 2007 Dixie Cup, (those who had not yet played that golf course) weren't 'underwhelmed' when they stepped onto the first tee there at Longshadow.  Man that was one crystal clear moment in my golf experiences where I was really really amped up to get out on that baby and get busy!  I can close my eyes and remember every hole.  

Oftentimes I will admit to being somewhat 'underwhelmed' as you put it.  Certain expectations tend to do that with a lot of things Anthony!  Here's the deal: from now on, only go play where members of this forum tell you to go play. ;)

Edit - I meant to say after they walked off of the 18th green.  Either place at either time of the round was quite satisfying to say the least!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:47:52 PM by Eric Smith »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 12:54:36 PM »

A friend of mine was so hooked on his girlfriend in college that after they broke up he flunked out ("I have no GPA") and was in a funk for six months. Fifeteen years later he told me that he had run into her. I said "Date her...". He replied "The bar's been raised".

Tony Typo

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I am rarely jaded by golf courses.  Some don't live up to expectations, but very few are poor courses.  What I do get jaded about is the palaver surrounding golf and the stupidly high green fees which do more than anything to raise expectations to near unreasonable levels. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

TEPaul

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 01:03:10 PM »
Anthony:

That's a bit like this guy around here who eventually told his long-time girlfriend: "You were the right age when I met you but you're too old for me now."

And then there was one of his friends who saw this beautiful girl he'd never seen before on another hole. He said to his playing buddies; "See that girl over there? That is my future ex-wife." And lo and behold it all came true.

Frankly, both (remarks and people) are pretty jaded.  ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
Anthony:

I suppose some would say I am jaded, because I've had the opportunity to visit nearly all the best courses, some of them many times.  And my interest in golf has ALWAYS been wrapped up with the design of the courses I'm seeing, from the time I was 11 or 12 years old; so if a course offers little or nothing of interest, architecturally, I am not too excited to play it.

By the same token, I think I am as excited as anyone out there to see a new course which DOES have something of interest architecturally.  And I believe they are still out there ... some of them already built, some of them just waiting.

After having great sites like PD and CK, when seeing a site with less drama,it has to be easier to say "I'll wait for better land". Where as before...

Anthony

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 01:24:21 PM »
Hard not to be somewhat jaded about something you are passionate about.

Like a cigar smoker who is into Cubans, he doesn't reach for the Dominicans very often, no matter the cost.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »
Hard not to be somewhat jaded about something you are passionate about.

Like a cigar smoker who is into Cubans, he doesn't reach for the Dominicans very often, no matter the cost.

Great analogy. I'M NOT DRINKING MERLOT!!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »
Anthony:

That's a bit like this guy around here who eventually told his long-time girlfriend: "You were the right age when I met you but you're too old for me now."

And then there was one of his friends who saw this beautiful girl he'd never seen before on another hole. He said to his playing buddies; "See that girl over there? That is my future ex-wife." And lo and behold it all came true.

Frankly, both (remarks and people) are pretty jaded.  ;)

Once you have the TEP posts it is hard to settle for Mucci.

JMEvensky

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 01:33:09 PM »

I will play anywhere with buddies, the company always trumps the golf.

Exactly.

I've never understood people who say differently.If the company is good,the golf course doesn't matter at all.

TEPaul

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
"I've never understood people who say differently.If the company is good,the golf course doesn't matter at all."

Jeff:

If you happen to be out there alone would you say the company is good?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:42:44 PM by TEPaul »

JMEvensky

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »
"I've never understood people who say differently.If the company is good,the golf course doesn't matter at all."

Jeff:

No.

Brilliant,witty,charming--but not "good".

TEPaul

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »
For me it certainly always has been and I suppose the reason is that ever since I was a very small boy there has always been at least two of me----eg "Good Tom" and "Bad Tom"----and to add to that if something comes up that is deserving of blame or reward or some kind of decision making and it's hard for someone to decide if "Good Tom" or "Bad Tom" was responsible, then there is a third person out there that is loosely known as "Just Me."

And generally when I'm on a course alone all three play---so most of the time my sole rounds are a three ball affair.

My club has tried to admonish me for this over the years as too many balls in play from one player but I assure them "Good Tom" and "Bad Tom" and "Just Me" are very conscientious in repairing all their divots and pitch marks and such. I'm generally met with either head-shaking or silence which is just fine really.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:47:56 PM by TEPaul »

JMEvensky

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 01:51:19 PM »

My club has tried to admonish me for this over the years as too many balls in play from one player but I assure them "Good Tom" and "Bad Tom" and "Just Me" are very conscientious in repairing all their divots and pitch marks and such. I'm generally met with either head-shaking or silence which is just fine really.

Jesus,your monthly guest fees must be something.

For your sake,I hope Mucci doesn't notice this thread or you'll catch unmitigated grief as the sole cause of 5 hour rounds at GMCC.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »

Jeff:

Bull Butter.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »
For me it certainly always has been and I suppose the reason is that ever since I was a very small boy there has always been at least two of me----eg "Good Tom" and "Bad Tom"----and to add to that if something comes up that is deserving of blame or reward or some kind of decision making and it's hard for someone to decide if "Good Tom" or "Bad Tom" was responsible, then there is a third person out there that is loosely known as "Just Me."

And generally when I'm on a course alone all three play---so most of the time my sole rounds are a three ball affair.

That stinks having to pay for three caddies.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »

Exactly.

I've never understood people who say differently.If the company is good,the golf course doesn't matter at all.

Horse Hockey.

Anthony

JMEvensky

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 04:30:49 PM »

Exactly.

Horse Hockey.

Anthony

Sorry,100% truthful.

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to not play because they didn't think the golf course was good enough.

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »
Can't say the course doesn't matter, but I can say I love every round at my home muni, which is probably a Doak 1 or 2.

Being outside, walking the course, hitting the occasional good shot - that's good enough for me.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »
Can't say the course doesn't matter, but I can say I love every round at my home muni, which is probably a Doak 1 or 2.

Being outside, walking the course, hitting the occasional good shot - that's good enough for me.

I feel the same about my home course. But when selecting a course to travel to our standards are greater. And with time and experience of some of the best, the bar gets raised. Doesn't it?

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back