News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

A Hero..
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:27:14 PM »
I went to Merriam and punched in "hero"... several answers came up but I always thought that this was the correct definition.

b : an illustrious warrior c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d : one that shows great courage

Someone in Tiger's entourage called him a hero, I must disagree. An idol maybe, but not a hero.

My heroes are those men and women who face death in their endeavours, be they active service personnel in Afghanistan,  the cops on the beat or certainly athletes who do defy death in their sporting lives.  Hitting a golf ball rather well does not make one a hero.

End of rant.

Bob

Kevin_Reilly

Re: A Hero..
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »
Tim Finchem yesterday called him "an American hero" and I had the same reaction you did.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1966789,00.html?cid=feed-tours_news-20100220-1966789
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:30:04 PM »
Right on Bob!

Tiger would be a hero for the Tiger Woods foundation work, except that he more promotes it than works it.

No one should be a hero for playing a game.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »
Regardless of Tiger Woods and his recent developments, nothing irks me more than the overuse of adjectives like "genius" and "hero" to describe basketball coaches, football players, and even golfers. It shows whomever is describing such is as disconnected from the real world as humanly possible.
H.P.S.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:43:11 PM »
Bob,
An understandable rant. 

Finchem called Tiger a hero?  Could he act like more of a toady?

Pat Burke

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:26 PM »
Bob,
An understandable rant. 

Finchem called Tiger a hero?  Could he act like more of a toady?

Remember, Tim Finchem's financial future is tied to Tiger's.  IF, Tiger can become the huge ratings driver again, and (if), he can overcome his current credibility issues, the TOUR does better.  When the tOUR does better, Finchem does better, and he won't ever let something like the truth get in the way of ensuring that he gets his year end bonuses (which always seem to be given, regardless of that year's performance).

Tiger is Finchem's, (and most players) meal ticket for now, and sadly Tim would say anything to sell a weak hand

Bill Rocco

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:06:20 PM »
Pat,

Agreed, Finchem believes Tiger needs to be a Hero to save the PGA in many minds (ratings and main stream media). I think it will be a great day when people celebrate golf as a whole (the courses and the players) collectively instead of immediately looking towards one figure....

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 11:41:48 PM »
A Hero:

...for charitable works maybe

...for hitting a golf ball - no way !!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
Perhaps he's a hero to the sexually addicted?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »
Tiger is a hero to all the women who are financially benefitting from his sexual whateverness.

To me, he is just another dirtbag
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 12:26:36 PM »
Tiger is a hero to all the women who are financially benefitting from his sexual whateverness.

To me, he is just another dirtbag

How does Arnold, a known cheater stack up with you?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
Bob,  It is hard to consider a man a Hero who has displayed a great lack of personal integrity similar to Tiger. Tim Finchem is so beholden to the rainmakers on the tour that he has a hard time seeing the fact that no man is larger than life or the game of golf. If Tiger were to never swing a club again competitively rest assured that a new star will emerge- it has happened thru history. Old Tom, Hagen, Jones, Sarazen, Hogan, Snead, Nelson, Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson, etc.... Soldiers, firemen, astronauts, cancer researchers, are those that are changing the world for the betterment of others-these are the real heros. Pro Athletes are to a large degree, overpaid entertainers, nothing more ,nothing less. How they support charitable situations is certainly admirable. End of my rant,
                                                                                                                            Jack

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »

I think this topic speaks about society. The best heroes are fathers and mothers, not sport figures. There are several fathers on this site that are heroes in the eyes of their children. Gentelman golfers also.

Anthony

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 10:18:33 PM »
Hero

Jason Hines

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
Hero

Agreed Don.  I get to play golf on Saturday afternoons at my club with my 4 and 2 year old sons because of the people in the photo above.  Not Tiger.

Jason

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 10:54:22 PM »
Hero

Agreed Don.  I get to play golf on Saturday afternoons at my club with my 4 and 2 year old sons because of the people in the photo above.  Not Tiger.

Jason

+1

Steve_Roths

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 03:17:47 PM »
+2

henrye

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »
A hero to one is not always a hero to someone else.  Tiger may not be an american hero, but I can certainly understand why Finchem thinks he is.  The guy makes off with a Goldman Sachs-esque bonus due to his little friend.  :D

Richard Choi

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 04:15:07 PM »
Talk about OT... :)

Curious, what do you think about people who call cancer survivors and disaster survivors (and practically all other "survivors" of various tragedy/events) heroes?

To me, if your doing exactly what every other person in the same situation would do (i.e survive and keep on living your life), it really doesn't merit the "hero" title.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »

Richard

There are Heroes and Villains in this world. Most Heroes don’t ask to be put in that position, but Villains who believe that the rules are not for them, place themselves in the line of fire for personal rewards.

Be careful who you place your trust with as it may affect the future of you and your family.

Melvyn

paul cowley

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
I agree Bob...the mantle ain't what it used to be....and I would humbly submit that you are probably more a hero in real terms than you would ever admit to.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 12:28:03 AM »
Tiger a hero? Please. Audie Murphy is a hero. Winston Churchill is a hero. The men who tried to kill Hitler are heroes. Chesley Sullenberger is a hero. All those firemen who rushed into the World Trade Center and lost their lives are heroes. Elian Gonzalez's mother is a hero. Those kids who lost their lives in Tiananmen Square are heroes. Lech Walesa is a hero. Daniel Ellsberg is a hero. Ron Paul is a hero. Even mean ol' Charlie Sifford is a hero.

Tiger is a pussy chasing, super-stud golfer, but he ain't no hero.

I'm still trying to figure out why Tiger is compelled is issue an apology, but a former president of the United States remains wildly popular while (still) not only refusing to apologize for his come stains on the dress of a child, but still manages to maintain with a straight face that getting his gynecology probe shined by the same chubby intern was somehow not "sex."

Evidently, we hold our athletes to a higher standard than occupants of the Oval Office.

And we laugh at Prince Charles . . . . .

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:30:43 AM by Gib Papazian »

Matt Day

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 03:35:04 AM »
Like many others I think of a hero as someone like my grandfather who was in Bomber Command from 1940-1945 (Wellington and Halifax bombers), or the two gents we met and listened to on the USS Midway who were dive bomber pilots in WW2.......anyone who gets paid to play sport is not a hero

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »

Bonnie searching for Bob (I think she said Bob, but I could be wrong), but certainly not Tiger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_HsjpSVaI

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
Matt Day,
There are exceptions to every rule, like the aforementioned Charlie Sifford, or Jackie Robinson, and even a whole team like the Springboks , or the Jewish athletes (nine won medals) who went to the 1936 Nazilympics.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back