News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

Re: Carne New 9 holes Pictures July 2012
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »
...that said, Ally and Robin are much more qualified to describe the course.
John Marr(inan)

Frank Pont

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »
Ally,

Congratulations, the holes look very special.

I am a very happy camper, it looks like my life membership of Carne just became a whole lot more valuable :)

Agree that it makes sense to combine this new nine with the old back nine.

Also glad to hear that the club is considering putting in new tees for some of the holes of the old back nine; that could be another massive improvement.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2012, 06:04:01 AM »
Thanks all,

Frank - Because the conditioning won't be up to that of the current eighteen, the likelihood is that the course will be opened as a stand alone nine in late summer 2013.

My hope is that Carne will combine the back nine and new nine for 2014. Should they choose that option then the logical routing is a composite that intertwines the two nines and reduces a couple of awkward crossovers and green to tee walks in distance and elevation... This would mean the 12th hole returning to the clubhouse rather than the 9th... These are all decisions yet to be confirmed though...

As Jack alluded to, we made a lot of effort in making the walk as easy as possible (in itself not an easy task)... Effectively we traverse the main massive dune ridge only once, coming down on the 3rd hole and back up on the 6th hole... It's certainly nice to have holes up high on ridges as well as in and across valleys... The views back out to sea from the 6th green / 7th tee complex are something to behold...

Ally

Frank Pont

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »
Ally,

just let me know if I can be of any help to convince the people at Carne of the rerouting

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 05:45:27 AM »
From Thursday evening...                                                                                          
Carne from 7th blue tee_16 Aug'12 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:47:14 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Jack_Marr

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2012, 08:00:23 AM »
I can't wait until the new nine is opened. This hole is going to be great.
John Marr(inan)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
Wow impressive. It looks like Aidens beautiful photography. the holes look great and should be great fun to play.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2012, 04:34:58 AM »
Hi Brian, I can see your comparison with 13 at Tralee but I'd like to think that this hole has a lot more room. The green is about 750m2 and the offset fairway runs in for a good distance. It is not notable in the photo as at the moment the weeds and rough grasses are prominent to stabilise the sand.... The hole plays at 220 / 190 / 165 & 125 yards with tees based round the curve of the chasm.... Here's a photo of the 9th hole from an angle Robin didn't provide.... Looking back from behind the green... Tees based up on the natural terraces and play at 450 / 420 / 405 & 350 yards...                                                                                                                                                                                 
Carne From behind 9th green_16 Aug'12 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Jack_Marr

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2012, 06:20:02 AM »
I've seen this in a few places, but most notably at Carne. I am no expert, but I'd guess it is more common on larger dunes, where the wind can catch the rising land.
John Marr(inan)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2012, 06:23:19 AM »
Might be a few new pictures here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82453880@N06/show/
John Marr(inan)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2012, 06:44:11 AM »
Might be a few new pictures here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82453880@N06/show/

Ally, will you be over there during Xmas by any chance? Wouldn't mind doing a day trip with a couple of lads!

Brian, unfortunately I don't think so... Why don't you leave it for a few months and come and play it instead?... But if you do head down, below is a really simple stick routing from google earth... No numbers etc... You'll just need to work it out....

Frank Pont

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
Looks really nice Ally, can't wait to play this routing!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 07:57:18 AM »
Courtesy of Eamon Mangan, here is a nice aerial of the new 8th (taken in the summer). Existing 17th is the hole at the bottom and you can also see the new 7th green off to the bottom right.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:59:02 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »
Any news on when the new 9-holes at Carne are likely to be open? I'm planning to head that way this summer and would like to play it as the holes look wonderful from the photos posted above.

All the best

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2013, 05:34:29 AM »
Any news on when the new 9-holes at Carne are likely to be open? I'm planning to head that way this summer and would like to play it as the holes look wonderful from the photos posted above.

All the best

Hi Thomas,

There is a "soft" opening do on July 22nd-24th this year which will use the composite back nine / new nine course. After this and for the remainder of 2013, the nine will open as a stand-alone and will only be available to those visitors who play as part of the 27 hole package. This is to discourage people wanting to see the new nine only and perhaps being disappointed with its conditioning which will take a couple of years to reach the standard of the existing 18....

If these dates don't fit, send me a PM and I'll try and sort something out for you...

New 9 approx yardages:

Hole 1 - 560 yards - Par 5
Hole 2 - 178 yards - Par 3
Hole 3 - 350 yards - Par 4
Hole 4 - 155 yards - Par 3
Hole 5 - 545 yards - Par 5
Hole 6 - 375 yards - Par 4
Hole 7 - 220 yards - Par 3
Hole 8 - 390 yards - Par 4
Hole 9 - 450 yards - Par 4

Total = 3,250 yards Par 35

Combined with back nine will play about 6,670 yards Par-72

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2013, 05:24:05 AM »
It's coming along very well, Brian.... Obviously the slow growth in the early part of the year hasn't helped but Larry Lambrecht dropped by the course last week and weaved his usual magic by taking some really good photographs.

Looking forward to everyone arriving at the end of July and giving the composite course (current back nine + new nine resequenced) a try...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30749571@N05/9004235751/sizes/c/in/photostream/

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2013, 07:32:34 AM »
I haven't played Carne, so I'm not familiar with the existing routing. Is it a direct swap out of one 9, and swap in of the new 9. I suspect this is not the case; at least not a case of switching in the new nine at the 10th tee.  ???

EDIT: Figured it out from the stick routing. The new holes are 8-16. Yes?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:35:08 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2013, 08:13:14 AM »
I haven't played Carne, so I'm not familiar with the existing routing. Is it a direct swap out of one 9, and swap in of the new 9. I suspect this is not the case; at least not a case of switching in the new nine at the 10th tee.  ???

EDIT: Figured it out from the stick routing. The new holes are 8-16. Yes?

Donal,

The new holes in this routing are indeed 8 to 16. The current front nine is all based to the North-East of the clubhouse and has been excluded from the layout above.

But this is only one option. The club have not decided yet how to set-up the 27 in to the future and in the short term at least, the new nine will primarily be stand alone with the Hackett 18 remaining. I suspect they will use this composite routing on occasion however.

After a couple of years, who knows? But there are three returning nines and some great holes on each loop so they have plenty of options.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:15:40 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »
Recently went to that magical, mystical, eccentric, idiosyncratic, enchanting and just all round wonderful place that is Carne. Played the impressive 18-holer and then, through Ally's kind deeds and the helpfulness of the good folk at Carne, walked the new 9-holes that arn't yet open. I was very impressed and look forward very much to playing them one day, and so with permission, here are some photos I snapped on my way around. Not too many words, I'll just let the photos, not the greatest photos ever taken but you should get an impression of what things are generally like, speak for themselves.

Below is the greensite at the 1st and then, second photo, is a view looking back up the 1st fairway from the green towards the tee, which is way back over the brow of the hill. Very nice indeed.

2nd greensite, it's gonna be a cracking par-3.

Didn't walk to the best spots for photos of the 3rd and 4th holes but what I saw looked fine. My photos of the 5th hole came out poorly. Bad camera work but......this is a fabulous hole. The prevailing wind blows against through a very high sided valley. Very high sided on both sides. There awo alternative fairways if you're long enough. Didn't spot any Indians watching from high above in the dunes but I bet they were there, signalling with mirrors, just like in the old cowboy films. This is gonna be a cracking hole to play. Love it.

6th hole, looks good, didn't get to the best spot to photograph it.

7th hole, below. Great tee and greensite as seen on previous photos by others above. Liked it a lot. Apologies the photo is sooooooo wide. Error by me no doubt!

This is looking back towards the 7th tee with the green of the 5th in the distance. The dunes are really high.

8th hole. Fairway drops down half way along. Lovely greensite. Very nice indeed.

9th hole, approach to the green. Appears to be a much superior hole than the existing 18th

Very much looking forward to playing these new holes.

Carne. Wonderful place. Thanks to all involved. Deserves all the success it can get.

All the best
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:59:25 AM by Thomas Dai »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2013, 06:17:30 AM »
Thanks for the update Mr.Thomas... Glad you enjoyed your visit... Here's perhaps a better photo of the approach to the par-5 1st... From about 150 yards out:

Jack_Marr

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
I was at the "soft opening" of the new nine this week. Very impressive. I think it takes Carne to a new level.

The members who played it were beside themselves.
John Marr(inan)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
I was at the "soft opening" of the new nine this week. Very impressive. I think it takes Carne to a new level.

The members who played it were beside themselves.

I'm not surprised by Jacks comments. I was there a few weeks ago and from walking them thought the new 9-holes were terrific. Only sorry that the quality of the photos I posted didn't do the new holes more justice. I'm sure some really good quality photos will appear here soon.
All the best.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2013, 11:06:50 PM »
How will the new nine be played if a visitor is playing 18?   

Jack_Marr

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »
Bill, I'm sure Ally will know.

We played it combined with the back nine. Played 10 to 16 , then the new nine, finishing on the old 17 and 18. There are a number of other options.

John Marr(inan)

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2013, 05:32:16 AM »
Bill,

I'm going there mid-August - from the website it seems that (for visitors anyway) the new 9 is only available (for now anyway) as an 'extra' if also playing the full original 18 as well. There also seem to be quite limited slots for visitors to play the new 9 for the time being - entirely understandable while it all beds in.

once conditioning is settled I'm sure they'd be planning to work the new holes into the 'full' routing - but as Jack says, Ally is the man on that no doubt :)

all best

Jeff

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back