News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Pre-pre Buda - Kington on 15 September
« on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:44 PM »
Jason Topp and I are going to try to give Kington a look early afternoon on the 15th of September.  It's a bit out of the way from Burnham & Berrow, but hard to resist. 
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30926.0/

Anyone interested in joining us?  I haven't talked with the club about a society discount rate, but given the all-day rate of GBP 28, it doesn't seem necessary.  For just a group or two, they said to get back in touch a month or so beforehand.

Stan Dodd

Re: Pre-pre Buda - Kington on 15 September
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »
You guys are killing me.  I have never had as much fun as golfing with GCAers.  So if I can swing it I am in. Along with B&B.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:24:14 AM »
Its a possibility for me, but I can at most only do the Wednesday or Thursday and I need to tee off by 11ish.  Does that work?

Strange as it may seem, there really isn't much in it if you play Kington or Burnham first - coming from a London airport.  One thing about playing the Burnham then Kington route is you get a drive through the wonderful Brecon Beacons.  I think Kington to Porthcawl is about 2:15.

Heathrow to Kington has to be 3:15 if not more.

Heathrow to Burnham is probably 2:45. 

Burnham to Porthcawl isn't bad, maybe 1:45. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:15:29 AM »
Sean,
I'm not scheduled to get into Heathrow until 7:40AM on Wednesday, so it seems we wouldn't be able to start at Kington until early afternoon. 

Agreed it would work out better travel-wise to play Burnham first, but we wanted to play with the group James is organizing for Thursday PM.  It's an extra hundred miles or so of driving, but we're also hoping to see Painswick early on Thursday as well.  So I think worth it.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »
Sean,
I'm not scheduled to get into Heathrow until 7:40AM on Wednesday, so it seems we wouldn't be able to start at Kington until early afternoon. 

Agreed it would work out better travel-wise to play Burnham first, but we wanted to play with the group James is organizing for Thursday PM.  It's an extra hundred miles or so of driving, but we're also hoping to see Painswick early on Thursday as well.  So I think worth it.

John

Yes, you are looking at 12ish at the very best.  I can't make that time, but I am sure you will enjoy Kington if it is dry.  If it is a rainy day, you may want to take a view and head somewhere else.  I can be quite harsh on the hill.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:03:30 AM »
Anyone else interested in Kington on the Wednesday afternoon before Buda?

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 07:51:05 PM »
Of all the GCA gatherings announced on this board in recent years that I cannot attend, this one just kills me.

John Mayhugh

Re: Pre-pre Buda - Kington on 15 September, Painswick on 16 September
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »
Jason Topp & I are set to play at Kington at 13:00 on September 15th.
We are playing at Painswick at 8:30 on September 16th, though we will try to get out a bit earlier before hustling down to Burnham.

Anyone interested in joining us at either place?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 12:28:44 PM »
Anyone who can make this should.  Kington is an education.  Sadly I'm out.  That's the third game of golf I've had to turn down today.  Sometimes I hate work.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
A quick question for our UK bretheren:  how's the weather look in Kent (Sept 14-15) and Wales (Sept 16-20)?   ??? ::)

James Boon

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »
A quick question for our UK bretheren:  how's the weather look in Kent (Sept 14-15) and Wales (Sept 16-20)?   ??? ::)

Bill,

One forecast I've seen has Kent sunny with showers, but the south west / Wales as sunny, so fingers crossed! But then predicting that far ahead is never really a strong point of any meterologist in this country!  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »
Bill - the best bet is that east Kent will be dry and cool, and that Wales will be mild and wet. Beyond that, it's hard to predict. East Kent is the driest part of the UK, it gets about 35-45cm of rain each year. But Wales is much wetter.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »

Bill,

One forecast I've seen has Kent sunny with showers, but the south west / Wales as sunny, so fingers crossed! But then predicting that far ahead is never really a strong point of any meterologist in this country!  ;D

Cheers,

James

"Sunny with showers" sounds interesting!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »
Bill - the best bet is that east Kent will be dry and cool, and that Wales will be mild and wet. Beyond that, it's hard to predict. East Kent is the driest part of the UK, it gets about 35-45cm of rain each year. But Wales is much wetter.

Adam, I will bring all my rain gear, which will guarantee a dry interval. 

James Boon

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 04:59:48 PM »

Bill,

Cheers,

James

"Sunny with showers" sounds interesting!

Bill,

Thats why the weather is such an obsession in this country!  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back