News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: 1 course near Denver to play?
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
Kalen,

If you're west of Denver so is Fossil Trace (in Golden the home of Coors). If you haven't played an Engh course then you should play Fossil Trace; if you have (eg Lakota) then I'd go with Riverdale Dunes.

Thanks Doug,

I've played a couple of Engh courses to date, lakota and Redlands, so perhaps Riverdale or Murphy Creek is the way to go.

Kalen

Andy Troeger

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2008, 10:39:20 PM »
Kirk,

Four Mile Ranch is tremendous fun. I'm not sure that the "bunkerlessness" of the course is the real story, however. Engh and Mitch Scarborough built miniature outcroppings of indigenous shale and rock in several of the fairways that mimic larger scale natural formations that line the course. In our foursome only one person had to play from one. I think some players will balk at having to hit off a rocky mound in a fairway for fear of scratching their clubs but the shale is fairly soft.

The real story is the site. It's a stunning property with holes that flow through various types of ridges and canyons. The first nine runs parallel to the foothills and the second nine climbs up to higher elevations and plays more up and down. Engh was very hands-off and allowed the site's exaggerated natural features to be the show (somewhere around only 50,000 cy were moved).

Still, the course is tightly routed and very walkable. There's plenty of Engh in the design, especially in the putting contours, and also the expected number of blind shots over bluffs and rock formations. But really, everything seems, and is, natural. And as I said before, it's a blast to play. It's the best I've seen from Engh and I expect it to become a Colorado favorite.

I have pictures but I don't know how to post them.

Derek,
Played Four Mile Ranch today. I think you explained the features and interest of the course very well. Highly recommend the course!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 11:19:14 AM »
I am a Denver native but have lived in Arizona for most of the past decade. As a result, many of the wonderful newer courses I have heard of but not played (Fossil Trace in particular). I have had the chance to play Murphy Creek several times and really enjoyed that course. Also Bear Dance in the Larkspur area is a great example of why I love mountain courses that play through the pines so much.

The last summer I spent in Denver I worked at (and helped to open) Green Valley Ranch, a course near the airport. I enjoyed playing that one quite a lot. I'd be curious to see others' opinions.

But what I'm most amazed by is news of CommonGrounds (that it's news surely betrays how rarely I'm in CO during golf season!). I played so many rounds at the old Mira Vista/Lowry course when I was growing up. They always said the long-term plan was to re-design, but that was the word for so long that I never believed it. I had no idea it had happened. And so close to where I grew up.

My Dad is volunteering at the Sr PGA this May--I think now I need to come up for a visit around that time. Watch some golf and play some as well!

Adam Russell

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »
Matthew,

I worked on the bunker crew building CommonGround (drop the s on the end - CommonGrounds is a coffee chain from what I hear ;D) so I'm biased about it, but I thought GVR was one or two awkward holes away from being on par with Riverdale Dunes - which I consider to be the second best choice in the Denver area. Murphy Creek was not my cup of tea. Too bi-polar and busy. Same with Fossil Trace. Some good holes, nothing exciting enough to make you want to come back, especially at FT's price point. GVR was a pleasant surprise.
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Tim Pitner

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »
Matthew,

I'd recommend CommonGround to anyone, but especially to someone familiar with the old Mira Vista course.  The new course is night and day from the old (and that's a good thing).  You'll enjoy it; it's a gem. 

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2010, 12:28:35 PM »
Matthew,

I worked on the bunker crew building CommonGround (drop the s on the end - CommonGrounds is a coffee chain from what I hear ;D) so I'm biased about it, but I thought GVR was one or two awkward holes away from being on par with Riverdale Dunes - which I consider to be the second best choice in the Denver area. Murphy Creek was not my cup of tea. Too bi-polar and busy. Same with Fossil Trace. Some good holes, nothing exciting enough to make you want to come back, especially at FT's price point. GVR was a pleasant surprise.

I would agree with that assessment of GVR, certainly. There are quite a few number of holes there that I remember REALLY liking, but also several that just seemed to miss the mark. Nonetheless, I played there nearly every day for 2+ months and never got tired of the course. Lots of different ways to play some of the holes and lots of challenge.

I will have to make a trip to CommonGround when I am next in Denver. I find myself wondering if I still have an old scorecard from Mira Vista to compare to what is there now. It was a pretty terrible course, although I suppose not any worse than Aurora Hills or Fitzsimmons. But CG surely looks like a beautiful improvement to the property!

Adam Russell

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »
Matthew,

Take away #10/#18 and I think it you would have a convincing argument for #2 public, especially with the conditions. The holes at GVR were much more memorable. I was surprised with all the wetland areas at GVR to find it in such good condition. It seemed to drain well, it wasn't firm but it wasn't soft either. I couldn't say the same for my round at RD, which was quite soggy.
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Greg Chambers

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »
Adam,

GVR is built on a sandy loam, while Riverdale I believe is on clay/clay loam.  That makes a lot of difference in playability.  In fact, during construction there was debate at GVR about whether to leave the fairway bunkers as native soil because it was so sandy.  Luckily, though, the decision was made to add drainage and bring in sand, as the loam in the soil retained quite a bit of moisture after rain events.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Adam Russell

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »
Greg,

That makes sense with the soil. GVR just seemed to have more low lying wetlands closer to playing areas, so at first glance it doesn't look like it drains as well. Very lush green, which back home here in the South = slow and soggy. Riverdale's got all the native areas so I should have known it would hold water but it seems more built up and able to drain downhill into the collection ponds, while GVR seemed flatter and harder to get water moving into the wetlands. Did you/P.Dye ever encounter that white crumbly soil (don't know why I can't remember the name) that soaks up water like a sponge? I got a kick pouring water on that stuff and watching it puff up, but it was horrible to try to pack a bunker edge.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »
Adam,

We had no soil issues at all.  In fact, the soil was so good that the greens were built out of it.  I have encountered what you're talking about on other sites around the metro area, closer to the foothills.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back