News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

If Pebble Beach Was Private?
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:53:07 PM »

Would it be treasured more?

Ranked higher?

Would 12 be so weak?

Worth $500 to play?

The ultimate US Open site?

Que pienses?

Alex Miller

Re: If Pebble Beach Was Private?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »
Yo pienso que....

it might actually be treasured LESS because it becomes the second best / visually stunning private course in the area as opposed to the best / most visually stunning course which the media and general public have access to.

For the same reason I think it would be ranked a little lower, still top 10 though.

I don't know how weak 12 is necessarily, but they probably would have been smarter with the way the course was renovated. Less to appease the cameras and more for the golfer and the benefit of the golf course.

I don't think going private would affect it as a US Open site, but like I said, course changes may have been better.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:00:27 PM »
Yo pienso que....

it might actually be treasured LESS because it becomes the second best / visually stunning private course in the area as opposed to the best / most visually stunning course which the media and general public have access to.

For the same reason I think it would be ranked a little lower, still top 10 though.

I don't know how weak 12 is necessarily, but they probably would have been smarter with the way the course was renovated. Less to appease the cameras and more for the golfer and the benefit of the golf course.

I don't think going private would affect it as a US Open site, but like I said, course changes may have been better.

Cypress is more scenic than Pebble? Tell me more.

Anthony

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »
Anthony, are you a UK fan?  I see you are sporting a John Wall pic for your profile.  I had a pair of cousins play there back in the day and I think I'm the lone Wildcat fan out here in Idaho.

Anyway, to answer your questions, I say "yes."  It would rate higher for a couple of reasons.  Conditioning would be better if it were private since the amount of play would be quite a bit less.  The experience would be "purer" since I can't imagine they would allow all the random people to just walk around on the course like they do now.  Also, you wouldn't have all the hustle of bustle of the course selling merchandise like crazy and hence would create a more private, intimate golf atmosphere.  I think Pebble would be reverenced like Augusta.  As far as the U.S. Open, I don't know if it would be any better or worse.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:10:57 PM »
Anthony, are you a UK fan?  I see you are sporting a John Wall pic for your profile.  I had a pair of cousins play there back in the day and I think I'm the lone Wildcat fan out here in Idaho.

Anyway, to answer your questions, I say "yes."  It would rate higher for a couple of reasons.  Conditioning would be better if it were private since the amount of play would be quite a bit less.  The experience would be "purer" since I can't imagine they would allow all the random people to just walk around on the course like they do now.  Also, you wouldn't have all the hustle of bustle of the course selling merchandise like crazy and hence would create a more private, intimate golf atmosphere.  I think Pebble would be reverenced like Augusta.  As far as the U.S. Open, I don't know if it would be any better or worse.

I agree with you Bill about PB. Very good points......and yes I went to UK. His jersy (John Wall) is mispelled in the picture which I think is awsome!!

Anthony

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 11:43:24 PM »
They would be able to get rid of the cart paths...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Philip Spogard

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 04:02:38 AM »
I think the beauty of Pebble Beach is the fact that it is public and I would have to agree more with Alex's comments. Besides the obvious views, it is the fact that you can walk in the footsteps of every great golfer who ever played the game which makes it special. There are strategically better and more scenic courses out there.

- And I would argue that PB is already reverenced in the US to a degree which makes it the 'public' Augusta (which is not a bad thing).

If I could change just one thing it would not be the 12th - it would be the cart paths as well.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:29:42 AM »
What is wrong with the 12th? All I know about it is that it is a par 3.

Pup

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:17:52 AM »
I agree what is wrong with number 12...a superb par 3.
dont understand the lack of love on this site..
numbers 3 and 15... I can understand, even with the tricked up/21st century looking new bunkers, but number 12 is a great tough par 3.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »
The only problem with 12 is that it is a downhill redan.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »
Public or Private I still reckon US$500 to play PB is way too much.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 05:34:14 PM »

I agree with you Bill about PB. Very good points......and yes I went to UK. His jersy (John Wall) is mispelled in the picture which I think is awsome!!

Anthony

I thought you were a Mounatineer through and through???

JohnV

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »

The good news if it was private is that you might find a member to take you out there for less once in a while.

The best thing that could happen is to take Pebble and Spyglass private and make Cypress and the Shore course public.  I'd be a lot more likely to spend the big bucks to play them.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 04:57:34 AM »
Philip - did Old Tom, Braid and Vardon play Pebble Beach?
Cave Nil Vino

Philip Spogard

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Maybe not every  :) Lets call it more like 99%

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 09:29:11 AM »
Philip - thank you that was my point, I received a PM from stating my post was "idiotic", I was just pointing out your statement  "it is the fact that you can walk in the footsteps of every great golfer who ever played the game which makes it special." is slighly incorrect!!

I'm pleased you understood it.
Cave Nil Vino

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »

The good news if it was private is that you might find a member to take you out there for less once in a while.

The best thing that could happen is to take Pebble and Spyglass private and make Cypress and the Shore course public.  I'd be a lot more likely to spend the big bucks to play them.

BUMP
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 01:07:21 PM »

Today perhaps but in 30 years people would be complaining about the expense and those arrogant jerks who run Cypress! Same as Pebble today, it is just so American to single out and pick on "the king".

No different here in Cabo where people love to trash 1.) Cabo del Sol, 2.) Las Ventanas and 3.) Nik San yet if you get those same people in a different discussion and ask them to draw up the perfect vacation they might very well say... "a week at Las Ventanas, a few rounds at Cabo del Sol and sushi at Nik San every night"

Gary Slatter

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 01:58:33 PM »
as a private course Pebble would be the second best private club on 17 Mile Drive.   Their fees make it a private club anyway.
And the 12th hole is excellent.  and the 14th is one of the best par fives on a back nine on the tour.
I think if it were private they would have more cart paths. :)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back