News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Kodadek

Bandon Trip Concerns- OT
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
I've been offered a spot (first timer) on a trip to Bandon for a 2 day golf trip.  However, I have some hesitation about accepting for a couple of ireasons.  I'm hoping that some of those familiar with the resort can offer some advice.   

First of all, if I were planning the trip it would certainly be longer than 2 days, but that is not an option for the group.  Next, is my concern about timing.  We are looking at the second week in November and the our PM tee times are at 12:40/50 on Friday (BD) and 12:30/40 on Saturday (OM).  Sunset is at 4:42 PM.  What is the likelihood that the rounds would be completed? 

My second issue is with course selection.  We have times at all four courses.  Is this the best way to go?  If you only had four rounds at Bandon, how would you break them down? 

Sorry for looking for trip advice, but I know I can get a straight answer from seasoned vets on this site.

Thanks,

Ben

George Freeman

Re: Bandon Trip Concerns- OT
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »
Ben,

In my opinion, a trip to Bandon is better than no trip to Bandon, regardless of how unfavorable the circumstances.  A short trip like this will wet your appetite and ensure that you're return trip is booked before you leave.

As far as the late tee times, I would say there is a pretty good chance you will not finish those two rounds.  Unless the course is empty and you guys can really move, you're usually looking at 4 hour-ish rounds.  It will be close.

As far as which courses to play; if you only have four rounds, I would highly recommend playing each course once...You'll be back, but if you can you should experience all the resort has to offer on your first go.

Hope that helps!

- George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:41:54 AM »
I've been to Bandon 5 times and going for a sixth time in May.  Ditto what George said.  JC

jonathan_becker

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:42:11 AM »
Ben,

I had some of the same questions a few weeks back.  Here is a thread I started about daylight....

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42807.0/

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
George,

Thanks for your advice.  Let me ask one additional question:  if you were two play two rounds that may not be completed, which courses would you play?

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:56:13 AM »
Easy - the eighteenth holes at Bandon and Trails are far from the strongest holes on those courses.  PacDuns par 5 18th is not to be missed.  Can't yet speak of Mac.  JC

George Freeman

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
George,

Thanks for your advice.  Let me ask one additional question:  if you were two play two rounds that may not be completed, which courses would you play?

Having not seen any holes at OM, I would probably agree w/ JC and go with Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails.  However, the 17th at BT is one of my favorite holes on the property.  The 18th at PD is pretty epic...Tough choice!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
Ben,

I would say go for it because sunset does not mean dark.  You usually have an extra 20 minutes or so of "doable" conditions in terms of light.  So for both of your rounds that would give you closer to 4:15-4:30 hrs to complete them, which should work.  To boot, you'll get to play Bandon Dunes 16 near sunset, which should be downright magical.  And it really is true that you ain't missing much if you can't play BD 18, its arguably the dullest hole at the resort.

However, if its overcast and or rainy, then this would put a severe hamper on things because it'll get darker a whole lot quicker.  So it is indeed a crap shoot in the end I guess.....

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
The sunset in the 2d weekend of November is betweeen 4:50 and 5:00 according to the table I suggested (go to the linked thread). I am there each November on the  weekend before Thanksgiving and I hear our 36 holers finish.

Go
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:38:43 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 01:37:23 PM »
In my opinion, a trip to Bandon is better than no trip to Bandon, regardless of how unfavorable the circumstances. 

From my one great trip it seems to pick up pace at the end of the day.
Everyone wants to finish.
It sounds as if you are skipping lunchs - which is a good idea - playing is more fun than eating.
I'd play one of each if I were you.

Have fun

You have a long wait.....
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
How far are you traveling to get there and how much do you want to play with this particular group?

I live on the other side of the country and it takes a full day (very full) to get there and another to get back. No way I'd do that for two morning rounds and two possibly incomplete rounds, especially if it was with people I didn't know or particularly look forward to playing with. But if I could drive four hours and be there, sure what the heck.

Just look at the total money, time and effort cost of the trip, divide that by four rounds and see if it's worthwhile. Factor in the possibility of one or more rounds being truncated or in bad weather conditions and you ought to be able to make a decision. Unless you live real close or like these guys a lot it sounds more like checking "Bandon" off the list than a real golf vacation but I'm not a hit-and-run type, myself.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 02:47:41 PM »
I've been in November on many occasions, it can reward you with splendid conditions.

Teeing off at 12:50 and expecting to get 18 holes in will be a close one.  Make sure your playing partners are quick!

But it can be done.  You can expect to finish under the cover of dusk, but it is possible.

With a wide open course in front of you, 3 hour rounds are not out of the ordinary at Bandon and Pacific.  Trails is a little slower...

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 02:53:54 PM »
Brent,

Unfortunately, I live in Tampa, FL.  Travel is indeed a chore.  

Many have suggested, "just do it" but unfortunately I am a bit of skeptic/realist/glass half full kind of guy on these types of matters.  Based on the fact that I'd be traveling for 2 days, for 2 days of golf does feel like a bit much.  

The guys are great, but the idea of walking in from the the 14th hole (potentially) would kill me.    

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »
Ben,
I would also look at the rate structure. We play after the price drop and are rewarded with $75 rounds. If you are in the 2d week in November the winter rates are not then in effect. Just checked, you are at $130/round.  Excluding travel fees your costs at Bandon will be in the $1000-$1500 range so you are saving a bunch by playing in 2 days rather than 4.

Edited to delete wrong info on replay rates
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:33:52 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Reef Wilson

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 03:58:07 PM »
Replay rates only apply to the same course/same day.

just a quick note about this. Actually, there is a note on the BD website "* Resort Guests may play their Replay Rounds on any course with available tee-times." as long as you are staying at the resort you will get the half price rate. I think at some point the replay was required on the same course even for resort guests, but not anymore, at least not in the last 4 years.

Ben,
I am pretty sure that if the resort lets you book a tee time in advance that they consider it "guaranteed to finish." At least that is what they have told me during my attempts to juggle tee times for our past 2 visits in Feb. As a result, our second rounds are often booked at the conclusion of our first round. So far, we have not had any problems finishing even going out as late as 30 minutes past their last "guaranteed to finish" time. 18th was pretty dark once, but as Mike said the pace really seems to pickup late in the day.

Reef

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 04:18:48 PM »
Brent,

Many have suggested, "just do it" but unfortunately I am a bit of skeptic/realist/glass half full kind of guy on these types of matters.  Based on the fact that I'd be traveling for 2 days, for 2 days of golf does feel like a bit much.  

The guys are great, but the idea of walking in from the the 14th hole (potentially) would kill me.    

Take the opportunity, even with the travel time it is well worth it, you won't regret it!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 05:21:08 PM »
Brent,

Take the opportunity, even with the travel time it is well worth it, you won't regret it!

I agree with Ryan - a trip there is better than not one at all.....

Besides - just seeing the architecture on offer is worth it - yes even if you do have to walk in from the 14th   ;)

Richard Choi

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »
If you want to play more rounds, I may have some openings in my 4-some trip to Old Mac opening. A bit more money, but probably make your long trip more worthwhile...

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 03:10:52 PM »
play 2 days with your group, then stay an extra day or 2 and get more rounds in at PD and OM solo.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back