News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Airport Golf
« on: February 14, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »
How many "great" golf courses are located within 15mins from a "major" Domestic or International Airport ?

On my trip last year I was surprised to find The California Club so close to exiting the SFO. The Lakes in Sydney is another that one could get to within 15mins of leaving Mascot Airport.

Others that one should be aware of ?

mike_beene

Re: Airport Golf
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »
If you count Love Field as a major airport:Brook Hollow

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
PRESTWICK!
  ;D

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »
You could probably line up 6-8 high quality golf courses within a 20-30 minute drive of London Heathrow, maybe more. I am guessing Walton Heath is within 20-30 minutes of London Gatwick.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:33:37 PM »
Near Buffalo-Niagara Intl. Airport:

Country Club of Buffalo, DJ Ross
Diamond Hawk, Hurdzan/Fry
Park Club, Colt/Alison
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Deucie Bies

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »
Lake Nona

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
Prestwick indeed! Bart made an excellent call on that one!! I think there's a clear connection. Developers often look for a stretch of flat land near the coast when they're gonna wedge in an airport. Flat stretch of coastal land... sound familiar? This may be more than a coincidence. Often, when I'm flying into a city, I'm looking for landmarks and don't you know it's usually a golf course that I recognize first, on that descent. Even though Philly isn't "coastal", there is Riverwinds GC directly across from the airport. I'm not saying that Riverwinds is a "great" track but it is fun and it's as close as a long par four from runway 29. This happens partly because golfers and airline pilots seek out very similar topography.

Now for a bonus question: How many golf courses have landing strips ON THE PREMISES? Heliports don't count. I'm talking working airports. I've played two. Hardly great courses but... I'm searching for the correct word... unique? In Pennsylvania, I count Farview Greens which I believe is extinct and which simply used the first fairway... predictably a straight, flat 410 yard par four. And then there is Butter Valley Golfport where the landing strip bisects 17, 18 and 10, 16. BUtter Valley has one of my all time favorite local rules, "Out of play - Aircraft landing strip - drop ball, without penalty, where ball initially crossed airstrip boundary (painted tires). That's an improvement on Farview where the tower (a.k.a. the shop) just made an announcement for players on the first hole to "... please stand aside as an aircraft landing on the first hole is imminent". 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »

The 18th at Teeth of the Dog played across the runway.

Anthony

Brian Laurent

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
The Golf Club can't be more than 10 minutes from Port-Columbus International.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:56:59 PM »
Anthony!
Now that's cool! I have to get there and add to my collection. I've heard so much about Teeth of the Dog... I even played it on a simulator a couple times but they seemd not to highlight the airstrip. I did play Mullet Bay on St. Martin one time then drove the half mile to Sunset Beach... spectacular landings and take offs but not the same as sharing the links with aircraft!
M

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 09:58:28 PM »
Riviera
LA North
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 10:01:40 PM »
Mark,it "played" across the runway.New airport now.Used to be a bell would ring and both holes on the back nine that had tee shots across runway would close;then a big american airlines jet would land so close to you you could almost touch it.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »
Kauai Lagoons - Hawaii
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »
Would Torrey Pines and Miramar Marine AFB qualify. I think both are in La Jolla.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 10:29:35 PM »
Hidden Creek,  Doral, Inwood.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 10:33:18 PM »
Trump National and Dulles.   ;)

Garden City's pretty close to LGA and JFK.  

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 10:40:09 PM »
University of New Mexico course is a couple minutes from the terminal in Albuquerque.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 10:47:59 PM »
I believe the RTJ Course at Boyne Highlands in Michigan has an wee landing strip or something right there.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 07:14:29 AM »
Ronald,

It's actually more along the Moor Course, and I don't know how functional it is currently.  The airstrip at Boyne Mountain gets a lot more action but is more away from the golf courses. 

How about Machrihanish?  Not major, but there.  And it's getting off topic, but one cannot ignore RAF Leuchers when at St Andrews.  With near daily jet practice, it is impossible.  And on that train of thought, how about Moray?  Don't they have a sign or something that says "beware of jet blasts?" 
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 07:24:26 AM »
Hickam AFB and damn near every other AFB or MCAS with a golf course.  The C5As landing at Hickam fly over you head so close the skys darken and if you were once in the service your first tendency is to hit the ground!

Lossiemouth.  The Tornados come over you unexpectedly at a few hundred feet on full afterburners.  Not for the faint of heart.  Regulars there use earplugs.

JC

Tom Yost

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 08:13:48 AM »

Now for a bonus question: How many golf courses have landing strips ON THE PREMISES? Heliports don't count.

There is an airport in Bangkok that has a golf course with holes routed between the parallel runways!

Phil McDade

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:15 AM »
This course in Madison WI, while not anywhere near great, sits right next door to the city's airport, and Air National Guard training center, so you occasionally have F-16s sneaking up on you in the middle of your backswing. Which is kinda cool.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36999.0/

The course in Janesville, WI, also sits adjacent to a local airport, although it is much quieter than the Madison airport.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39725.0/

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:36 AM »
Medinah is very close to ORD

beverly is sort of close to Midway
H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 09:00:32 AM »
I would not call it a GREAT course, but Sky 72 GC in Korea has four golf courses on the grounds of the new Incheon Airport.

There is also a fairly new public course right off the runways in Salt Lake ... I think they even run shuttles to the airport so you can play on a long layover.

Yeamans Hall is close enough to Charleston Airport to be included as well.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »
I would not call it a GREAT course, but Sky 72 GC in Korea has four golf courses on the grounds of the new Incheon Airport.

There is also a fairly new public course right off the runways in Salt Lake ... I think they even run shuttles to the airport so you can play on a long layover.

Yeamans Hall is close enough to Charleston Airport to be included as well.

Tom,

This is true, Wingpointe is a decent golf course even though its far from great.  Its also open this time of year, (normally closed), due to the warm El Nino temps.  Keith Foster was the main shaper under Arthur Hills according to Mike Cirba.  Here's the review I did on it a couple of years ago.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31462.0/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back