News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Golf Week Top GB&I top modern
« on: February 13, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »
Enlarging on their them of best classic and best modern, Golf Week Came out with theeir top 50 classic and top 40 modern.  Here is the modern(post 1960) list.

1. Kingsbarns
Kingsbarns, Scotland, 1999
Kyle Phillips
2. Castle Stuart
Inverness, Scotland, 2009
Gil Hanse, Mark Parsinen
3. Loch Lomond
Luss, Scotland, 1994
Jay Morrish, Tom Weiskopf
4. Waterville
Waterville Ireland, 1973
Eddie Hackett, Tom Fazio
5. The European Club
Brittas Bay, Ireland, 1989
Pat Ruddy
6. Renaissance Club at Archerfield
Dirleton, Scotland, 2008
Tom Doak
7. Old Head of Kinsale
Kinsale, Ireland, 1997
E.Hackett, Joe Carr, R. Kirby, P. Merrigan, Liam Higgins
8. Carne
Belmullet, Ireland, 1995
Eddie Hackett
9. Carton House (Montgomerie)
Maynooth, Ireland, 2003
Colin Montgomerie, Design European Golf
10. Enniscrone
Enniscrone, Ireland, 1973
Eddie Hackett
11. Tralee
Tralee, Ireland, 1984
Arnold Palmer
12. Doonbeg
Doonbeg, Ireland, 2001
Greg Norman
13. Woburn (Dukes)
Woburn, England, 1976
Charles Lawrie
14. Woburn (Marquess)
Woburn, England, 1997
Clive Clark, Peter Alliss, Alex Hay, Ross McMurray
15. St. Andrews (Castle)
St. Andrews, Scotland, 2008
David McLay Kidd
16. The Grove
Watford, England, 2003
Kyle Phillips
17. Bearwood Lakes
Sindlesham, England, 1996
Martin Hawtree
18. Druid’s Glen
Newtownmountkennedy, Ireland, 1995
Pat Ruddy, Tom Craddock
19. Celtic Manor (Twenty Ten)
Newport, Wales, 2009
Ross McMurray
20. Fairmont St. Andrews (Torrance)
St. Andrews, Scotland, 2001
Sam Torrance
21. Machrihanish Dunes
Campbeltown, Scotland, 2009
David McLay Kidd
22. Carton House (O’Meara)
Maynooth, Ireland, 2002
Mark O’Meara, Design European Golf
23. Turnberry (Kintyre)
Turnberry, Scotland, 2001
Donald Steel
24. The Wisley (Garden & Mill)
Ripley, England, 1991
Robert Trent Jones Jr.
25. Chart Hills
Biddenden, England, 1993
Steve Smyers, Nick Faldo
26. Ballyliffin (Glashedy)
Ballyliffin, Ireland, 1995
Pat Ruddy, Tom Craddock
27. The Duke’s St. Andrews
St. Andrews, Scotland, 1995
Peter Thomson, Tim Liddy
28. Fota Island
Carrigtwohill, Ireland, 1993
Christy O’Connor Jr., Jeff Howes, Peter McEvoy
29. Skibo Castle
Dornoch, Scotland, 1994
Donald Steel
30. The K Club (Smurfit)
Straffan, Ireland, 1990
Arnold Palmer, Ed Seay
31. Rosapenna (Sandy Hills)
Rosapenna, Ireland, 2003
Pat Ruddy
32. Dundonald Links
Irvine, Scotland, 2003
Kyle Phillips
33. Forest of Arden (Arden)
Meriden, England, 1970
Donald Steel
34. The Carrick
Arden, Scotland, 2007
Doug Carrick
35. The K Club (Palmer)
Straffan, Ireland, 1991
Arnold Palmer
36. Crail (Craighead)
Crail, Scotland, 1998
Gil Hanse
37. Adare Manor Golf Resort
Adare, Ireland, 1995
Robert Trent Jones Sr.
38. Gleneagles (PGA Centenary)
Auchterarder, Scotland, 1993
Jack Nicklaus
39. Ballybunion (Cashen)
Ballybunion, Ireland, 1982
Robert Trent Jones Sr.
40. Fairmont St. Andrews (Kittocks)
St. Andrews, Scotland, 2001
Bruce Devlin, Gary Stephenson
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matt_Ward

Re: Golf Week Top GB&I top modern
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »
Can someone explain to me why the layouts rated #3, #4 and #5 are deemed to be so great ?

I've played them all and while they do have their moments -- I don't see any of them being such stellar layouts.

Frankly, I would place Doonbeg as a legitimate layout that gets little love here but is a good bit better than many might imagine.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »
Matt:

None of the courses below #3, 4 and 5 is generally considered to be "great", either.  Including Doonbeg.  I have no idea how many changes they've made there since I saw it just before it opened, but it was kind of crazy then.

Maybe you could write a Dismal River vs. Doonbeg match play thread.  That would be fun.

Meanwhile, this list just goes to show how few great projects there have been in the UK and Ireland these past 50 years.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »
Matt-
What's your top 10?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »
How many would one include at the top of their list on a trip to GB&I v those on the classic list ?

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 03:26:53 AM »
How many would one include at the top of their list on a trip to GB&I v those on the classic list ?

Kevin

I would seriously consider 14 of these courses either again or for the first time when planning trips to their areas.  

Kingsbarns
Castle Stuart
Waterville
Renaissance Club at Archerfield
Carne
Enniscrone
Doonbeg
St. Andrews (Castle)
Machrihanish Dunes
Ballyliffin (Glashedy)
Skibo Castle
Rosapenna (Sandy Hills)
Dundonald Links
Ballybunion (Cashen)

I spose there are about 29 on the Classic List I would like to see again or for the first time.

Ciao

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:30:52 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

David Kelly

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:47:09 AM »
I would consider #1, #2, #4 & #6 and that is about it.  I'd rather use every opportunity over there to play the classic courses multiple times. However, having played #2 last summer it will definitely be on any future itineraries.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »

Kevin:

There are maybe five or six courses on this list that I would think about playing, if I made a two-month trip to the UK.  Sean Arble could name 40 older courses outside the GB & I top 100 which I would have more interest in playing.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »
Tom D:

C'mon, let's be serious shall we -- Doonbeg is a good bit better than being linked in some sort of match play contest w Dismal River.

I've always believed the short par-3 14th at Doonbeg is one of the best short type holes of that length that I have ever played and the course does have a lot more going on there than so many who turn their noses up at the place -- likely because Greg Norman is the designer there.

I didn't say Doonbeg was "great" (need to define that for me to understand completely) but I would say it's certainly no less in caliber than places like The European Club (one of the most overrated places I have ever played given the fanfare I heard about it), Loch Lomond and Waterville.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 03:26:41 PM »
I've played 3 modern and 28 classic, never having been to ireland hampers the numbers. It is noticable that a good percentage of the moderns are in the middle of no where, relative to the UK!
Cave Nil Vino

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
It sure didn't take long for the excellence of Castle Stuart to be recognized. ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 11:09:47 PM »
I have only played 15 of the top 40, but I agree with Tom that the list seems to show that there have been relatively few very good courses built in GB&I.  I am one who thinks Loch Lomond is absolutely one of the best courses built in the last 50 years in Isles.  I don't want ot get in another discussion about TEC but I really loved the course.  The courses that are highly rated that I don't understand are Tralee, and the two at Woburn.  I can't decide about Old Head.  The setting is so majestic that I get lost in the view and exciting shots.  I still don't understand the little love the Cashen course gets.  I need to get back to Scotland.  I have not played any of them.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:37:23 AM »
Tom D:

C'mon, let's be serious shall we -- Doonbeg is a good bit better than being linked in some sort of match play contest w Dismal River.

I've always believed the short par-3 14th at Doonbeg is one of the best short type holes of that length that I have ever played and the course does have a lot more going on there than so many who turn their noses up at the place -- likely because Greg Norman is the designer there.

I didn't say Doonbeg was "great" (need to define that for me to understand completely) but I would say it's certainly no less in caliber than places like The European Club (one of the most overrated places I have ever played given the fanfare I heard about it), Loch Lomond and Waterville.

Matt:

I thought you really liked Dismal River, and it was just everyone else who disliked it.

Doonbeg has gotten surprisingly little attention on this site; there was a fair amount of discussion when it first opened, but it seems like nobody ever says anything about it when they go touring in Ireland.  I really don't remember you mentioning it before.

I have only seen Loch Lomond and Waterville, not The European Club, but all three have some support for being at the bottom end of the top 100 courses in the world.  Does that mean you think Doonbeg should be in there, or that all of them are overrated?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
One of the interesting aspects of this list is that many in Ireland rate Adare Manor as the best parkland course in the country but here it's got quite a few in front of it including the two Carton House courses, Fota Island (I know nobody who thinks Fota is better than Adare), Druid's Glen, and the Palmer Course at the K Club. There is no sign of Mount Juliet which is very highly rated here as well.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 08:43:42 PM »
I would consider #1, #2, #4 & #6 and that is about it.  I'd rather use every opportunity over there to play the classic courses multiple times. However, having played #2 last summer it will definitely be on any future itineraries.

David / Tom

I haven't seen # 2 but have seen more than half here - like you - I'd be more keen to search out "classics" + repeat plays on them as a headline of a trip than going back to most above.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 10:15:45 PM »
Likely Machrihanish Dunes is 10-15 spots too low. Surely not enough have yet made the trek down to the Mull of K to see what's special there.

And as far as folks eventually playing..it's really a no-brainer. Few are going to go all the way to Campbelltown to play the classic Old course without hitting the Dunes while there...

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 06:09:01 AM »
Look at this from Golfweek's point of view.  It's their first time they have ventured to GB/I.  There are bound to be some initial bumps and surprises.  As they collect more votes I predict their subsequent lists will converge and stablize.

JC   

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 11:39:24 AM »
Courses I want to see at least once that I have yet to get to:

Castle Stuart
Renaissance Club at Archerfield
Carne
Enniscrone
St. Andrews (Castle)
Machrihanish Dunes

Courses I've played that I would like to see again:

Kingsbarns
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:46:35 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Richard Phinney

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
I'd rather play Ballyliffen Old (1973)  - by the redoubtable duo of Martin Niland and Martin Hopkins -- than probably 10 of these courses.

Shane Wright

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 03:14:01 PM »
Matt,

I haven't played Doonbeg yet so I can't really discuss how good it is or isn't.  However, I have been to the SW of Ireland twice in the last 4 years and when we were deciding our itinerary, we just couldn't justify putting Doonbeg in the itinerary.  For us, playing Waterville, Ballybunion, Lahinch, or even Tralee took precedence and it boiled down to price.  Doonbeg's prices are ridiculous.  But if it works for them, more power to them.  The other 4 aren't cheap either, but it wasn't close to Doonbeg.  I suspect this might be one reason its general appeal isn't higher.  I imagine there are quite a few who take it off the list because of price.  I would love to see it, but no way in any situation am I going to play it over Lahinch or Ballybunion at the prices they are charging.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »
Sorry, just like seeing the Torrance and Kittocks in the top 40!

K Club is close to where it should be.
Celtic Manor 2010 should be around 50.  So should Gleneagles Nicklaus PGA RC.   two unfortunate Ryder Cup sites.
Forest of Arden and Dukes should move up to 21 and 22.
Castle Course should be around 35th, not 15th.
Renaissance Club isn't top 6 yet.
Loch Lomond should be around 10th.

Although I enjoyed playing Kingsbarns I don't see why it is so good.  In 2007, 2008 and 2009 I thought the greens were in poor condition.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
Matt,

I haven't played Doonbeg yet so I can't really discuss how good it is or isn't.  However, I have been to the SW of Ireland twice in the last 4 years and when we were deciding our itinerary, we just couldn't justify putting Doonbeg in the itinerary.  For us, playing Waterville, Ballybunion, Lahinch, or even Tralee took precedence and it boiled down to price.  Doonbeg's prices are ridiculous.  But if it works for them, more power to them.  The other 4 aren't cheap either, but it wasn't close to Doonbeg.  I suspect this might be one reason its general appeal isn't higher.  I imagine there are quite a few who take it off the list because of price.  I would love to see it, but no way in any situation am I going to play it over Lahinch or Ballybunion at the prices they are charging.

Shane

The price is the reason why I haven't played at least a few of these courses already.  The trend these past ten years is for the new boys to charge as much or more than the old established clubs.  That is a model which generally doesn't work for me.  The attitude is 100% based on this corporate grab and run mentality (which has been running rampant in golf for a few decades now) relying on stupid golfers to step up and empty their wallets.  Its almost as if its a badge of quality to charge the earth for a game of golf. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 07:59:19 PM »
The "Old" course at Ballyliffin was only built in 1973?  I figured it was way older than that.  Good on them!

Shane Wright

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 10:04:40 AM »

[/quote]

Shane

The price is the reason why I haven't played at least a few of these courses already.  The trend these past ten years is for the new boys to charge as much or more than the old established clubs.  That is a model which generally doesn't work for me.  The attitude is 100% based on this corporate grab and run mentality (which has been running rampant in golf for a few decades now) relying on stupid golfers to step up and empty their wallets.  Its almost as if its a badge of quality to charge the earth for a game of golf. 

Ciao
[/quote]

Sean - I wonder what the staying power of the prices at a Doonbeg is going to be.  Many probably play it once for the curiosity and because it is newer.  But the strong majority probably don't keep going back.  With this assumption, I don't see how they can hold their prices for too long.  I have paid plenty of money for many really good golf courses, but I felt like Doonbeg was in the ridiculous category.  However, I would really like to see it someday.

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »

Shane

Ciao
[/quote]

Sean - I wonder what the staying power of the prices at a Doonbeg is going to be.  Many probably play it once for the curiosity and because it is newer.  But the strong majority probably don't keep going back.  With this assumption, I don't see how they can hold their prices for too long.  I have paid plenty of money for many really good golf courses, but I felt like Doonbeg was in the ridiculous category.  However, I would really like to see it someday.

[/quote]

Shane

To be honest, I don't know what it costs to play Doonbeg.  I was told some time ago and remember it being a lot - too much.  Kingsbarns is out of my league as well, but I have walked that course.  I think Doonbeg is meant to be a destination club.  Folks buy property and holiday there, but I don't know how well this has worked out.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back