News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

Re: The Shore and A.T.& T.
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »
I am thoroughly disappointed that the broadcast hasn't shown ONE SINGLE SHOT at MPCC...I was really looking forward to getting a glimpse of the course, but the Golf Channel obviously had different plans.

Does anyone think that they will pick up on all the positive reviews the course has been getting (not to mention what appear to be beautiful filming opportunities) and start showing some coverage of MPCC next year?  I sure hope so!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Robert Thompson

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 11:10:36 PM »
Pat: I'm a golf writer and I get exactly what you're speaking about. But many of these guys have been to Pebble many times, so I doubt they really need much of a practice round. And you're right -- a lot of them do get out to Cypress during the week.

I always find it sort of sad -- though perhaps understandable -- that many of the best in the game rarely seek out the best forums to test their games. I remember playing with Stuart Appleby about British Open courses and he stopped me: "You know more about these than I do," he said. Sad, but probably true.

I had the great pleasure of playing a handful of holes with Bob last year at MPCC Shore. It was neat to see some of it on the GC last night, but man I wish they'd had more than a singular camera on the place, so at least we wouldn't have to watch JB Holmes' ridiculous pre-shot routine over and over again. Oh, and when we did see the Shore course we saw George Lopez bludgeon the par-3 7th (if I recall correctly), and hear Frank Nobilo talk about how he had no sense of the course previous to this year despite having played in the AT&T a number of times. I'm always fascinated by the fact pros rarely care about any course other than the one they are going to play.

Regarding Nobilo, it is true, there are very few guys that will play other local courses during a normal tournament week.  For me, monday was typically a travel day, tuesday early practice round, lunch, practice for a few hours.  Weds was usually a pro-am (sometimes on a different course depending on players' status).  Thursday/friday warm up (2 hours) play, practice after (most days).  Normal schedule left little time for exploration for me, and I AM a golf course fan.  
That's normal schedule.  At AT&T, there are 2 more challenges, daylight, and 3 courses to see in practice rounds.
For the record, I WAS able to squeeze in a round or two at CPC, always seemed easy to skip practice day at Poppy ;)

Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Pat Burke

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 11:49:09 PM »
Pat: I'm a golf writer and I get exactly what you're speaking about. But many of these guys have been to Pebble many times, so I doubt they really need much of a practice round. And you're right -- a lot of them do get out to Cypress during the week.

I always find it sort of sad -- though perhaps understandable -- that many of the best in the game rarely seek out the best forums to test their games. I remember playing with Stuart Appleby about British Open courses and he stopped me: "You know more about these than I do," he said. Sad, but probably true.

Robert,
As I wrote my first post, I even thought the same :)   But, for the majority of players on Tour, you make most of your year in a handful of weeks.  For a nobody like myself, the better I prepared, the more consistent my results.  I always played pretty well at Q School, and I always played many, many practice rounds.  In my later playing years, I was still learning things about courses I had played 5-7 times.  Of course, this could be why even my neighbors don't know I played out there! :D
Funny how CPC can draw guys over though isn't it? ;)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 12:52:35 AM »
This is supposed to be the busiest week of the year at Cypress.

Bob, your course looks fantastic.  I wish they would have more coverage on it, but thats nothing any of us have a say on.

Anyways, I think Pebble looks fantastic as well.  I love Pebble, its fun watching the pros play it.

Oh, and Notah Begay jas the ugliest swing I've ever seen out of a pro.  I just had to get that out.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 12:51:33 PM »
While I haven't been able to watch all the coverage, I am disappointed that what I saw did not include any MPCC. 

I wonder if the lack of coverage is more about resources of numbers of cameras and operators and commentators, which I assume cost exponentially more, for each hole you cover on another course. 

At any rate, it is always fun when this toon-a-mint rolls around when we get Sir Boab to give us a few on-site observations.  Now that they are actually playing MPCC, I'm looking forward to his reporting of notable things he observes. 

I'm hoping that Duval smokes MPCC today, away from all the hoopla of the coverage. 

I guess the fun for me in watching this celebrityfest and their ego trips whereby most of us can say about some of them;  gee-even I could out play that hack!   ;) ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »
RJ, don't be so sure...galleries, touring pros and tour conditions conspire against the most ardent couch spud...walk 7000 yards in the shoes of those hacks and then post again.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PCCraig

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 05:59:44 PM »
I thought the David F. tribute to the Shore Course and primarily Mike Stranz was very nice and well done. The view from the 11th tee is pretty fantastic.

Thanks for all the first-hand updates bob!
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 06:19:31 PM »
I thought the David F. tribute to the Shore Course and primarily Mike Stranz was very nice and well done. The view from the 11th tee is pretty fantastic.

It was really cool how they showed the hole and then the Stranz sketch, a beautiful touch and a beautiful hole.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
Last evening I did a bit of a write up on a few observations on the Shore, was interupted and pressed Save, which didn't.

One thing that I did notice was that changing the 1st and 16th holes did the trick, there were few birdies there after all.

As I get older and grumpier about the speed of play I must say that I had an eye-opener on the first hole. I have never seen Furyk play in the flesh as it were and do not care to do so again. With all his ticks and twitches I am reminded of the Starter at Gullane No.1 when seeing my travelling companion teeing up with a similar action, he said, " Hey Laddie, yon fella would make coffee nervous."
He did hit a marvellous second but missed the putt.

The scores on all three courses must bring joy to the hearts of the guys at the top but soft, moderately benign greens and the wide open fairways on the Shore will be sorely missed June.

I have not heard of one player reaching the 589yd par five 12th hole in two. A couple of years a go when I was playing in the Boys and Girls tourney, V.J.Sing hit the ball over the crossing ditch at 300 yards off the tee, hit a five iron second onto the green...and three putted.

I didn't go out today as I was forced into playing the annex.

Bob

Stan Dodd

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »
Bob,
Was the Dunes open for regular member play?

Tony Weiler

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »

The Feherty piece was really nice.

Tim Bert

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 10:49:38 PM »

As I get older and grumpier about the speed of play I must say that I had an eye-opener on the first hole. I have never seen Furyk play in the flesh as it were and do not care to do so again.

Of all the quirk, the putting stroke is the worst to me. I could never get used to watching that last minute back-off move.   

I have not heard of one player reaching the 589yd par five 12th hole in two. A couple of years a go when I was playing in the Boys and Girls tourney, V.J.Sing hit the ball over the crossing ditch at 300 yards off the tee, hit a five iron second onto the green...and three putted.

As I recall I put a drive into that same hazard (thanks, Kalen!) though it wasn't playing 300 from our tees. Maybe 290.  ;)

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 04:45:38 AM »
Bob,

is there a lot of inconvenince to members in the setting up for the AT & T? Assuming you are offered alternate tee times at some of the neighbours. Does the PGA specify changes that are not sustainable for normal playing or member conditions - apart from slow greens! :)
Brett
@theflatsticker

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
Brett,

We have another course to use so we do not need reciprocity.

I understand the PGA does require certain parameters but nothing that would, or could not be rectified for member play.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 11:51:48 AM »
For some pretty good coverage and lots of photos go to:

www.montereyherald.com

Get yesterday's and today's edition.

Bob

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
Bob,

What amazed me was when they showed aerials of CPC and there weren't any golfers in the camera shot on the golf course.

Did MPCC get much play today ?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2010, 08:54:11 PM »
Pat,

I played CPC on Saturday and I counted twenty bags ready for play at 10.00 am. and onward. Not much after that.

MPCC had a shotgun on the Dunes all week and there was never a full house.

Bob

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2010, 08:59:07 PM »
Bob

How did The Shore fair with the "traffic" that was on it ?

Thanks for the link to the photos - I didn't see much of it on the coverage 'down under' - you would have thought that they were playing only one course on the rota   ???

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2010, 09:51:33 PM »

As I get older and grumpier about the speed of play I must say that I had an eye-opener on the first hole. I have never seen Furyk play in the flesh as it were and do not care to do so again.

Of all the quirk, the putting stroke is the worst to me. I could never get used to watching that last minute back-off move.   

As I recall I put a drive into that same hazard (thanks, Kalen!) though it wasn't playing 300 from our tees. Maybe 290.  ;)

Hey I did warn you about it!!   :D ;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2010, 10:06:24 PM »
Bob

How did The Shore fair with the "traffic" that was on it ?

Thanks for the link to the photos - I didn't see much of it on the coverage 'down under' - you would have thought that they were playing only one course on the rota   ???

Kevin,

The answer is not yet in, however, I thought the pros would dissect the the course into the low, low numbers, it never happened.There are still questions about the flow of the course.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back