News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

What is wrong with the 5 hour round?
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »
Do you have somewhere better to be than at the golf course?  If so, why not just go there and not to the course?

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Brent Hutto

Re: What is wrong with the 5 hour round?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
Quite often I can't think of any better place to be than playing golf. Unfortunately, in a 5-hour round that equates to about three hours of playing golf and two hours standing around doing absolutely nothing. And yes, I typically have many better things to do than standing around doing absolutely nothing, even if it's in a nice setting. One of the things better I have to do is...you guessed it...play golf.

I love spending five hours at the golf course. I just need to play 27 holes while I'm there.

The real question is whether or not the bozos up ahead holding us up can't find something better to do than drive around in aimless circles in a golf cart, chat up the beverage girl, throw blades of grass in the air, fidget around with their cheater line and just generally do everything in the worlds except play golf. You'd think any rational person would look at a beautiful golf course in front of them, look at the expensive golf clubs in their bag and get the idea that playing golf might be a fun thing to do right about then. But no, apparently cigars and shaggy dog stories and clowning around and standing with your thumb up your ass while you ponder the vaguaries of being a hacker are much more fun than golf itself. Go figure.

Playing golf for me has two main components: walking and hitting golf shots. That takes somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour to an hour and a half per nine holes. It's the other junk I have no time for.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:46:47 PM by Brent Hutto »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:46:08 PM »
Five hours with JC or Uncle Bob Huntley?  :D

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »
I think Brent nailed it!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:50:35 PM »
I could think of an analogous situation. What if your wife came over on Valentines evening and said "How about we head to the bedroom for some romance and lovemaking". Sounds pretty good. So you get all nestled in the bed and she reaches for the remote and proceeds to watch the entirety of The Notebook on television while your ardour slowly cools. A couple times she looks away from the TV and indulges you in a little cuddle here or a brief fondle there. Then at the end of the movie, two minutes of passionate kissing before rolling over and saying "Good night, that was great!".

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »

Do you have somewhere better to be than at the golf course?  If so, why not just go there and not to the course?

Jason,  some deranged person has broken into your computer and is posting on GolfclubAtlas.com under your name.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
... the final hour.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 07:00:58 PM »
I think Brent nailed it!!

Mac,

This is Jason's way of preparing you for next week?? ;D

JMEvensky

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:01:36 PM »

I love spending five hours at the golf course. I just need to play 27 holes while I'm there.

That's really good--Papazian level good.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 07:04:01 PM »

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
The problem with the 5 hour round is that I can play other courses in 3 1/2 hours. So if a course is playing at 5 hours, why would I bother to go there and probably pay a premium to wait for at least 1 1/2 hours. JC, tell me you don't go 1 1/2 hours early to watch a double feature "just for the experience" of watching a movie in a theater instead of at home.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
JC,

How many responses required before you post the punchline? :)

Where would I rather be? Playing golf instead of holding herman for 15 minutes on every tee.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Having grown up playing golf at Bethpage & Eisenhower Park a 5-hour round sounds awfully fast to me...

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »
I am straight away concerned that anyone who enjoys the game can ask such a question.

Why would anyone enjoy a 5-6 hour game when you can have a good 18 holes in the morning, a fair to good lunch then another 18 holes in the afternoon spending close to 6 or so hours for both rounds.

Golf is not an endurance test, its meant to be enjoyable, 5-6 hours for a round of 18 holes is not actually normal. Yes, I expect it happens and from what some say on here it’s a fairly regular problem in some places, but that does not make it right nor would I call it value for money either. I would not want to constantly repeat that experience.

Melvyn

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 08:30:55 PM »
I could think of an analogous situation. What if your wife came over on Valentines evening and said "How about we head to the bedroom for some romance and lovemaking". Sounds pretty good. So you get all nestled in the bed and she reaches for the remote and proceeds to watch the entirety of The Notebook on television while your ardour slowly cools. A couple times she looks away from the TV and indulges you in a little cuddle here or a brief fondle there. Then at the end of the movie, two minutes of passionate kissing before rolling over and saying "Good night, that was great!".

My wife would probably say that 2 minutes is generous. ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Every round played at the Dixie Cup this year took longer than 4 hours.  In fact, my round with Mayhugh and Hutto took longer than 4 hours and we finished 3 holes ahead of the group who teed off after us.

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »

JC has been putting up some of the best commentary threads in recent months, which have really gotten my attention.

What is wrong with the 5 hour round?  
Do you have somewhere better to be than at the golf course?  If so, why not just go there and not to the course?

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 08:32:57 PM »
Five hours with JC or Uncle Bob Huntley?  :D

Why do you change the picture under your name on a weekly basis? ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 08:33:14 PM »
JC,

Congratulations. You have discovered GCA.coms dirty secret! There are slow players here too.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 08:33:49 PM »

Jason,  some deranged person has broken into your computer and is posting on GolfclubAtlas.com under your name.

How many 5 hour rounds have you played?  In how many varying wind conditions?

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
The problem with the 5 hour round is that I can play other courses in 3 1/2 hours. So if a course is playing at 5 hours, why would I bother to go there and probably pay a premium to wait for at least 1 1/2 hours. JC, tell me you don't go 1 1/2 hours early to watch a double feature "just for the experience" of watching a movie in a theater instead of at home.

My round with Mike DeVries at Greywalls took longer than 4 hours.  I suppose I should have played the course down the street instead, just so I could have gotten home earlier.

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »
 8) IF A 5 HOUR ROUND IS HAPPENING WE JUST PLAY TWO BALLS .. one person scramble.. or walk off at 9
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

archie_struthers

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »
 ;) ;) ;)

Gotta get on the fast play is the only way train....can't stand watching and waiting and waiting ...don't know how the pros can stand it...although they are the causal effect ....along with the American refusal to hit a provisional!!!!!

JC Jones

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
At the Dixie Cup this past year, no time was spent watching and waiting. 

JC Jones

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 08:49:04 PM »
8) IF A 5 HOUR ROUND IS HAPPENING WE JUST PLAY TWO BALLS .. one person scramble.. or walk off at 9

Our round together was 4 hours or less. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back