News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Asheville/Smoky Mountains
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:10:11 PM »
What are the golf options in and around Asheville (or across the border in Tennessee)?  Am thinking about planning a trip that would combine some hiking and some golf, and have never been to that part of the world except for a short business trip.  Thanks in advance,
Carl

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Asheville/Smoky Mountains
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 05:51:19 PM »
Carl,
I came back north thru Asheville last March and stopped off at their muni. The fairways were being aerated at the time but I went out and had a nice time for cheap bucks, plus it was convenient, fast, and walkable for me.  ;D  There are other, more noted courses in the area, and you'll find some info searching "Asheville".
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
A half-hour north off the parkway is my favorite sleeper:Mt Mitchell.Kept in good shape and as pretty a place with the river running through as you will see.Also,if you can get access the Cliffs have several nice courses just into south Carolina,my favorite being the falls course.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:12:12 PM »
Have also played Mt. Mitchell...been about 10 years but remember enjoying it.  I believe it is the only North American work by Fred Hawtree who among other works redesigned Royal Birkdale.

Mt Mitchell itself is a good place to do some hiking...it is the highest peak in the eastern United States at almost 7000 feet so just fun to drive to the top on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I think the course sits at 3000-3500 feet...

In Asheville, the Grove Park Inn is supposed to be a great resort and with a Donald Ross course...but can't comment further since I've neither stayed nor played.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:22:06 PM »
Almost forgot....there are some nice courses around Dolly Parton's theme park,  "Dollywood'. 

Just head WNW out of Asheville and keep an eye out for this landmark:

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim Thornton

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:56:22 PM »
Mike Beene-

Great call on Mt. Mitchell.  Very underrated mountain course in spectacular surroundings and always in superb condition.

Jim

Bart Bradley

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
Have also played Mt. Mitchell...been about 10 years but remember enjoying it.  I believe it is the only North American work by Fred Hawtree who among other works redesigned Royal Birkdale.

Mt Mitchell itself is a good place to do some hiking...it is the highest peak in the eastern United States at almost 7000 feet so just fun to drive to the top on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

In Asheville, the Grove Park Inn is supposed to be a great resort and with a Donald Ross course...but can't comment further since I've neither stayed nor played.
Mike:
I think you are wrong about Fred Hawtree...Reems Creek in Asheville, I do believe, is also designed by Fred Hawtree and a reasonable public option.  I like Mount Mitchell a whole lot ...But, if you ride, be aware that it is NEARLY ALWAYS cartpath only.  I think the Grove Park is way overpriced for the lodging...way, way.

Bart
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:13:46 PM by Bart Bradley »

john_stiles

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
Carl,

I think you will have many course recommendations before the thread ends.  Please think about playing Holston Hills if Knoxville fits your travel plans.

For hiking,  the hike up to Mt LeConte and overnight stay in the rustic cabins would be super.  If hiking up during the week or Sunday night,  they might have some vacancies.  The claim is that the temperature has never been above 80 at Mt LeConte since whenever they started recording. I think the thermometer is taken inside and put in the ice chest about 11 am.

I can third or fourth the Mt Mitchell course.  The Grove Park course is fun to play, a shorter tight course, well conditioned, interesting greens.  Cannot remember the expense for golf,  but the rooms are on expensive side.  They have a nice spa (so I have been told and read).  If in Asheville, it would be worth a visit to Grove Park to eat a nice dinner (not expensive) in the Sunset Terrace.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 09:44:11 PM »
Have also played Mt. Mitchell...been about 10 years but remember enjoying it.  I believe it is the only North American work by Fred Hawtree who among other works redesigned Royal Birkdale.

Mike:
I think you are wrong about Fred Hawtree...Reems Creek in Asheville, I do believe, is also designed by Fred Hawtree and a reasonable public option.  I like Mount Mitchell a whole lot ...But, if you ride, be aware that it is NEARLY ALWAYS cartpath only.  I think the Grove Park is way overpriced for the lodging...way, way.

Bart

Bart...could easily be wrong.  Read or heard a little background on Hawtree when the Open was at Birkdale in '08 and my memory could have failed me.

And I have also hiked LeConte...and second it as a fantastic walk!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:57:40 PM »

Grove Park Inn and Wade Hampton come to mind.

Anthony

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »
Mt Mitchell is an easy walk. The terrace at Grove Park is a nice place for lunch. Asheville is a great hippie watching place.The Parkway is beautiful but make sure it is open and not foggy.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 01:14:27 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice,
Carl

john_stiles

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 07:51:12 PM »
Carl,

Just wanted to post a few photos if you decide to hike up Mt LeConte.

One photo is of Alum Cave Bluff on the way up,  the route I recommend for a day hike.    Another is of the rustic cabins very near the top of Mt LeConte.   The lodge is at  elevation 6360,  near the summit.   

The other photo is of myself, near the summit,  wearing what else but golf shorts and appropriately for this thread, my Mt Mitchell golf hat. 

For a one day hike,    the hike is rated 73.7, slope of 138,  solid Doak 8.   The hike is nicely framed by rock outcrops, trees, and sheer cliff drop offs promising compound broken bones and such.   The trail was designed by an old guy who formerly worked for John Muir but then left trail design to carry photo equipment for Ansel Adams.  The trail has never been remodeled. 

Back to the hike.    At the summit,  we snacked on moon pies and RC cola.  Later we drank corn from a jar and sang Rocky Top.

It is in the Top 100 Hike Digest,  probably top 25 US Hikeweek Classic.   If the top hiking trail architect writers liked it,  it could zoom to the top.

Hike Digest and Hikeweek raters are carried up to the lodge by staff for free.  Please call ahead and introduce yourself.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
Carl,

I think you will have many course recommendations before the thread ends.  Please think about playing Holston Hills if Knoxville fits your travel plans.

For hiking,  the hike up to Mt LeConte and overnight stay in the rustic cabins would be super.  If hiking up during the week or Sunday night,  they might have some vacancies.  The claim is that the temperature has never been above 80 at Mt LeConte since whenever they started recording. I think the thermometer is taken inside and put in the ice chest about 11 am.

I can third or fourth the Mt Mitchell course.  The Grove Park course is fun to play, a shorter tight course, well conditioned, interesting greens.  Cannot remember the expense for golf,  but the rooms are on expensive side.  They have a nice spa (so I have been told and read).  If in Asheville, it would be worth a visit to Grove Park to eat a nice dinner (not expensive) in the Sunset Terrace.

The Grove Park Inn has a reduced rate after 2 p.m. in the summer that would work well with that great lunch on the terrace.  That was our plan last summer but a member of our group took ill that Sunday morning where we were staying 60 miles away and we canceled.   :'(

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
Carl....

Since we are way OT on the hike...I also hiked the Alum Cave trail and recommend.  If you are really motivated...the route I took was park at Alum Cave, hike to LeConte (about 5.5 miles), then take the Boulevard Trail back to the Appalachian Trail (about 8 miles total) to the Newfound Gap.  You will then need transportation back to the car.  The Boulevard/AT sort of follows the ridgeline so is not too strenous (Alum Cave up is) and also provides access to the Jumpoff, a 1000 ft cliff on the opposite side of the mountain.  A pretty full day but a great hike.

My hiking story is I hiked this sometime in the early 90s with a good buddy and both of us were in our late 20s.  Somewhere near the top we came upon an elderly hiker...we figured the guy might have been 80.  He pointed to the rocks and started with "You really have to know what you are up against here..." and launched into a geology discussion neither of us followed and might have been a total fabrication.

Finally, he pulled some lichen off a tree, looked at us and said, "You know.... you can eat this stuff...tastes like lemonade"....We looked at each other somewhat warily.  He then said..."Come on, try it".  Which we did.

Two lessons...

1) An 80 year old man can get a 20 year old to do almost anything by pulling the chicken card
2) Lichen is apparently edible, but tastes nothing like lemonade.  It tastes like dirt.

LeConte is a fabulous hike...and the lodge is no carts, walk ins only!

john_stiles

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 10:14:38 PM »
Mike,

Carl mentioned hiking so you (and me) were  On Topic, mostly,  IMO.

John

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 10:16:07 PM »
Mike,

Carl mentioned hiking so you (and me) were  On Topic, mostly,  IMO.

John

John, very funny post delivered in your normal dry style.  Thanks!   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back