News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Ted Dexter's Ten Commandments on how to speed up play
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »
Serious question here...

how often do you guys play round that approach 5 hours?

It has happen to me only a handful of times.  However, I've played more rounds in under 3 hours than I've played in 5 hours or more.

5+ hour is de rigueur for public courses around here, 'less the Stillers are playing on a Sunday afternoon in the fall. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »
From Ten down to one

Thou shall not build or maintain golf courses that take 6 hours to play 18 holes

Melvyn
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:19:12 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
George...

do you think that is because the players are not good

or

do they not know how to play ready golf

or

are the courses to crowded

or

all three?

My marathon round at Sawgrass was because the course was too crowded and I think the course was too difficult for many of the players.

My marathon round at the tournament at my club was that no one was playing ready golf and grinding over every putt and shot.  Which actually makes sense to me while in a tournament....but the starter/marshall had a different opinion!   :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JohnV

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
Thou shalt not allow space to develop between your match and the match ahead.

That's the only one I live by, and if my group is out ahead of everyone else I try to make sure they are never, ever, waiting.

Exactly.  Do that and you can take as much time as you want.  If you're the first group out that day, you might have to look at it in another way, but othewise that is the key.

Sean, I'll agree that it bugs me if everyone is looking for the ball before they play.  But it bugs me even more to see the one player looking while the other three walk down the fairway chatting and not helping.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »
There is maybe no reason why people living stateside should know who Ted Dexter is, but since it has already been pointed out on this thread, it would behove one or two posters to show some humility and maybe do a Google search. For what it is worth, Ted Dexter captained England at cricket, captained Cambridge at Golf, is a member at Sunningdale and widely regarded as one of the leading amateur golfers - and most talented sportsmen - of his generation. His rules clearly apply to social play, especially matchplay. He really does not need to be given rules lessons!

Tim Johnson

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »
One quick way to increase the pace of play, dont take yourself so seriously. I play to a 10 and I can blow up a hole like anybody. One of the problems today is guys trying to act like the pros. Marching off yardage from a sprinkler head when we are only guessing where the pin lies in the green. You might know to add 4 yards from the sprinkler but you are unsure where the exact middle of the green is. The greens is another area that time can be picked up. Too many golfers act like a PGA pro on the greens, bending their ball caps like Tiger does to see the line.
i have noticed that people dont let groups play through like it is some shot to their manhood. If the group is on you, let them through. Plain and simple. Also, if you are serious about golf, use the practice range and putting green to improve your game. a 20 handicapper insisting he holes out all his putts so he can get better is not fair to the people who have done the practice so they make the 5 footers.
The biggest problem is with the boom in golf, people are in the game who dont know it is a gentleman's game and one must act accordingly.

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 05:34:32 PM »
George...

do you think that is because the players are not good

or

do they not know how to play ready golf

or

are the courses to crowded

or

all three?

2 & 3, mostly. The posters on here love to blame golfers playing the wrong tees, but in my limited experience, there are easily as many slow good players as slow bad, if not more.

To be honest, I think the biggest reason is just general rudeness/cluelessness, which I guess fits under 2. Too crowded is certainly a problem, but I'd guess plenty of UK courses are crowded and they still manage to get around quickly.

Slow players are slow, and unless someone does something about that - preferrably rangers, but if necessary, players in the group - all the commandments in the world aren't going to help much.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 05:38:06 PM »

George after 2-3 minutes ‘live ammunition’ will move many things including slow players

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »
It's a great list for people whose sole reason for being on a golf course is to see how quickly they can get from 1 tee to 18 green.For people who actually play golf,it's idiotic.

Yea! Etiquette is for the birds.  :P

All due respect,where's the etiquette in dragging 3-footers and ignoring the rules?

Etiquette involves showing respect for the game just as much as the people playing it--even the ones for whom "golf" is a foot race.

If your foursome plays at a 3 1/2 hour rate, then I have no problem with your etiquette towards the other golfers on the course. If you play at a slower pace, you are not playing golf, but goof, as in goofing off.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Rossi

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 05:46:17 PM »

George after 2-3 minutes ‘live ammunition’ will move many things including slow players

Melvyn

Or turn it into a loose impediment.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
Serious question here...

how often do you guys play round that approach 5 hours?

It has happen to me only a handful of times.  However, I've played more rounds in under 3 hours than I've played in 5 hours or more.

Is my abnormal?  Or do most people play rounds in the time frames I finish in?

Mac:

As happens, guys on this site aren't the ones to ask.

A good friend plays at a course where expected pace of play is 5 hours.  Everyone rides and the place wears out "cart path only."  No one expects to play in less than five hours and no one does.

I don't typically take that long to play because I choose not to play there.  If I did, I'd have no choice; when tee times are stacked, you can't play faster than the group in front of you.

WW

JohnV

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »
Biggest reason for slow play?  7 and 8 minute starting times.  No chance to play fast.

Of course, on the PGA Tour nothing helps.   I just checked and the final groups at the ATT are on their 16 holes and they have been out there 6:20 already.  I guess shrinking the field and moving away from Poppy Hills didn't help much. ::)

JMEvensky

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »
It's a great list for people whose sole reason for being on a golf course is to see how quickly they can get from 1 tee to 18 green.For people who actually play golf,it's idiotic.

Yea! Etiquette is for the birds.  :P

All due respect,where's the etiquette in dragging 3-footers and ignoring the rules?

Etiquette involves showing respect for the game just as much as the people playing it--even the ones for whom "golf" is a foot race.

If your foursome plays at a 3 1/2 hour rate, then I have no problem with your etiquette towards the other golfers on the course. If you play at a slower pace, you are not playing golf, but goof, as in goofing off.

Again,all due respect,but my interest would be more toward playing the game properly rather than coming in under your arbitrary time limit.

There is undeniably a pace of play problem.Everyone has their own solution.However,everyone(myself included) sees the solution only through the prism of their immediate surroundings--"my guys want to move along quickly while we shoot our 88's" vs. "my guys want to play by all the rules because it matters to us whether we shoot 72 or 73".These 2 sides will never reach accord.

I think it all comes down to what you value most on a golf course and how you were taught to play.

JMEvensky

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »

Biggest reason for slow play?  7 and 8 minute starting times. 

I think that's second.

The biggest reason is because most people suck--which is the elephant in the room noone will discuss.Unless you're on a polo pony,how quickly can you hit a ball 95 times?

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
I think that's second.

The biggest reason is because most people suck--which is the elephant in the room noone will discuss.Unless you're on a polo pony,how quickly can you hit a ball 95 times?

I do not know what world you are living in. Your response is mentioned time and time again on here; guys who shoot 95 are the perpetual whipping boys when it comes to slow play.

Yet guys who shoot 65 are playing in 6 hours.

So I'll say it again: What world are you living in?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »

I think that's second.

MR EVENSKY,

THAT IS UTTER BS!

GET OVER YOURSELF!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Pearce

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »

I think that's second.

MR EVENSKY,

THAT IS UTTER BS!

GET OVER YOURSELF!

I was considering an intelligent, witty and appropriate response to that post.  You got there before me.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 06:42:16 PM »
George...going back a few posts...I think you are correct.  

I think most slow players don't really have a clue how to play efficiently.  And I think that has a lot to do with watching the PGA guys on tv, as has been mentioned.

I personally think that JMEvensky is not correct...at least per observations.  I've hit 95 (or higher) on the golf course...but like I mentioned I've only played 2 rounds that were over 5 hours.  My average score is probably in the high eighties and when I walk the course by myself or as a twosome, I get round in 3.5 hours.  So, even though I am not as good a golfer as he is...I don't think it slows me down too much.  

Anyway, George, as you mention someone needs to educate these slow players on how to play ready golf.  I think that is all.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT...and also the starting times too close together really mess things up as well.  Sawgrass did that and it made for an awful golf experience.  Hurry up, to keep away from the people behind you...in order to wait on the people in front of you.  Not fun!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:45:02 PM by Mac Plumart »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
There is maybe no reason why people living stateside should know who Ted Dexter is, but since it has already been pointed out on this thread, it would behove one or two posters to show some humility and maybe do a Google search. For what it is worth, Ted Dexter captained England at cricket, captained Cambridge at Golf, is a member at Sunningdale and widely regarded as one of the leading amateur golfers - and most talented sportsmen - of his generation. His rules clearly apply to social play, especially matchplay. He really does not need to be given rules lessons!

Fascinating thread. Here is Ted Dexter in what I assume is his prime:

I really would like to here what Bob Huntley thinks. I personally believe we take ourselves a little too serious around here.

As the great Bridgeport philosopher John Bagley once said, "Were not playing for any trophies out here."

I can't imagine how it could possibly be a bad day to play 18 holes with Ted under his rules.

PS. By the way my son and I were having this discussion on the eve of the Olympics,  why is Cricket not an Olympic sport?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:57:23 PM by Mike Sweeney »

JMEvensky

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Mssrs. Bayley,Pearce,and Pazin--if you can carry your own sack in a 4-some on a non-empty golf course and shoot a high score in under 4 hours while playing by the rules,you are exceptions to the rule.

Mr. Pazin,I admit that I have frequently lumped all high scorers in a group as slow players.I am/was wrong for doing so and apologize.I shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.

However,some on this board frequently castigate those for whom a score is important--a score earned by holing putts,dropping correctly,etc.They aren't the problem either.

Like I said earlier,it's all about how,and frequently when, you were taught to play.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »
Mssrs. Bayley,Pearce,and Pazin--if you can carry your own sack in a 4-some on a non-empty golf course and shoot a high score in under 4 hours while playing by the rules,you are exceptions to the rule.

If you read what I wrote, you will notice your foursome needs to play at a 3 1/2 hour pace. I did not claim you needed complete a round that fast on a full course. If you play that fast you will probably be right on the heels of the group in front of you. However, score has nothing to do with it. There are foursomes of old ladies shooting 100+ that have no problem with a 3 1/2 hour pace. If you stay on this site long enough and read enough of what people have experienced you will learn that.

jeffwarne

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 08:16:09 PM »
George...going back a few posts...I think you are correct.  

I think most slow players don't really have a clue how to play efficiently.  And I think that has a lot to do with watching the PGA guys on tv, as has been mentioned.

I personally think that JMEvensky is not correct...at least per observations.  I've hit 95 (or higher) on the golf course...but like I mentioned I've only played 2 rounds that were over 5 hours.  My average score is probably in the high eighties and when I walk the course by myself or as a twosome, I get round in 3.5 hours.  So, even though I am not as good a golfer as he is...I don't think it slows me down too much.  

Anyway, George, as you mention someone needs to educate these slow players on how to play ready golf.  I think that is all.

Mac,
If you're playing 3.5 hours in a twosome.......or God forbid as a single
....you might not want to throw too many stones. ::)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mac Plumart

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
is that slow?

i played nine last week walking and it took 1.5 hours.

i played nine after work this week and it took 1 hour 45 minutes.

i played 18 walking with a friend of mine a few weeks ago and it took 3 hourse 45 minutes.

too slow?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »
Yep Mac, too slow. A couple of weeks ago it was raining pretty steady here in the pacific nw and I went out by myself and went 18 in 2 1/2 hours. (probably shot about 95) That is with old man knees that hurt with every step.

MAC, if you are not a tour pro, then you aren't good enough to play slow.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »
Hmmm....

Weird.  If I play in a foursome we get around in about 4 hours...maybe 4.5 hours. 

And you have the stats on my playing as a twosome or by myself...and I always get priority if I want to be first off the tee due to my "quick" play.

But you guys are saying I am slow.

Interesting.  I see if there are areas where I can pick it up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back