News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Ted Dexter's Ten Commandments on how to speed up play
« on: February 12, 2010, 02:30:52 PM »
from the new issue of Fine Golf:

Ted’s Ten Commandments:

Thou shalt keep the “Etiquette of Golf” in mind at all times i.e. your responsibility to the golf course and to other golfers.

Thou shalt be prepared to step up and hit your ball immediately it is your turn to play.

Thou shalt not take more than one practise swing.

Thou shalt not allow space to develop between your match and the match ahead.

Thou shalt try to shave 10 seconds off the time it normally takes you to hit a shot. (If all players in an average four-ball were to achieve this, they would cut one hour from their usual round).

Thou shalt pick up your ball at all times when you are “out of the hole”.

Thou shalt carry, from time to time, a light bag with ( if necessary to reduce weight) a lesser number of clubs.

In non-competition “friendly matches”:

Thou shalt agree to leave the pin in the hole at all times - until any player wishes the pin to be removed.

Thou shalt agree to a one stroke penalty only, for a ball lost or out of bounds.
A ball to be dropped in the semi-rough within two club lengths of the point of entry to the area being searched. (Thus there is no need to play a provisional ball or another ball from the tee or to go back under the stroke and distance rule)

Thou shalt agree that only the player shall need to look for his ball - 3 minutes maximum search time”.

Thoughts?  On the surface, although there are the obvious handicap issues in the states, I gotta say I like it....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jed Peters

Re: Ted Dexter's Ten Commandments on how to speed up play
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »
from the new issue of Fine Golf:

Ted’s Ten Commandments:

Thou shalt keep the “Etiquette of Golf” in mind at all times i.e. your responsibility to the golf course and to other golfers.

Thou shalt be prepared to step up and hit your ball immediately it is your turn to play.

Thou shalt not take more than one practise swing.

Thou shalt try to shave 10 seconds off the time it normally takes you to hit a shot. (If all players in an average four-ball were to achieve this, they would cut one hour from their usual round).

Thou shalt pick up your ball at all times when you are “out of the hole”.

Thou shalt carry, from time to time, a light bag with ( if necessary to reduce weight) a lesser number of clubs.

In non-competition “friendly matches”:

Thou shalt agree to leave the pin in the hole at all times - until any player wishes the pin to be removed.

Thou shalt agree to a one stroke penalty only, for a ball lost or out of bounds.
A ball to be dropped in the semi-rough within two club lengths of the point of entry to the area being searched. (Thus there is no need to play a provisional ball or another ball from the tee or to go back under the stroke and distance rule)

Thou shalt agree that only the player shall need to look for his ball - 3 minutes maximum search time”.

Thoughts?  On the surface, although there are the obvious handicap issues in the states, I gotta say I like it....

I'm not big on cheating, so a bunch of those are out.

JMEvensky

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 02:49:02 PM »
It's a great list for people whose sole reason for being on a golf course is to see how quickly they can get from 1 tee to 18 green.For people who actually play golf,it's idiotic.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
The first 7 are great, the last three are one writer's attempt to rewrite the rules, without full knowledge of why the rules are written the way they are in the first place.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 02:55:28 PM »
I agree that 8 & 9 are a bit much....but is it worse than enduring another 5 hour round? especially for a non-tournament friendly match?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 02:59:37 PM »
I assume this is the Ted Dexter's rules - the man Gary Player said had the best English swing since Henry Cotton. Dexter was a great cricketer and a Sunningdale member.
I was amazed at how quickly they all claimed to play there until I went out with a match one day and realized that no one putts from inside 3 feet.That speeds things up no end.

JohnH

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »

That's the only one I live by, and if my group is out ahead of everyone else I try to make sure they are never, ever, waiting.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »
It's a great list for people whose sole reason for being on a golf course is to see how quickly they can get from 1 tee to 18 green.For people who actually play golf,it's idiotic.

Some of us manage to do both.

Mike - I was wondering if this was THE Ted Dexter.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
Scott - Yes The Ted Dexter, he also won The Presidents Putter.

Dale/Jed - Dexter was a great all round sportsman being an England cricketer and very fine Amateur golfer back in the days when sportsmen were gentlemen. Your assertion is rather insulting. In a friendly game rules can be ammended, non-competition means just that.

Mike - generous conceding can be a great tool until a 30" putt is faced late in the round when it really matters!

Fortunately there are people in the world who concede putts, move quickly and do not spend hours and hours on the golf course. Ask the average Brit "what they shot?" on Saturday or Sunday morning and they wouldn't have a clue.
Cave Nil Vino

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 03:40:53 PM »
Mark,

Agreed...Besides this allows more time for a liesurely lunch and an afternoon foursomes!

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »
Scott - Yes The Ted Dexter, he also won The Presidents Putter.

Dale/Jed - Dexter was a great all round sportsman being an England cricketer and very fine Amateur golfer back in the days when sportsmen were gentlemen. Your assertion is rather insulting. In a friendly game rules can be ammended, non-competition means just that.

Mike - generous conceding can be a great tool until a 30" putt is faced late in the round when it really matters!

Fortunately there are people in the world who concede putts, move quickly and do not spend hours and hours on the golf course. Ask the average Brit "what they shot?" on Saturday or Sunday morning and they wouldn't have a clue.

Why putt at all?

Conceding tee shots would REALLY speed up the game as you could go straight from the previous green to the middle of the next fairway. After all the average club player misses a fairway as often as he misses a 3 footer.

then we can really get back to work or traffic quickly ;D

Seriously, one I could go for is thou shalt automatically lose the hole if a ball is lost and no provisional is hit at the time the original ball was struck.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:59:58 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
I'm offended by the implication that "non-competition 'friendly matches'" shouldn't be played under the rules.

Why not just say "Each player gets one throw, one kick, and one toss per round?"

WW

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
How many of you staunch rules defenders take mulligans or preferred lies?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »

Yea! Etiquette is for the birds.  :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Rossi

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »
The ten commandments posted look pretty much what the majority of public players use, not suggesting the tree house players as we are just a few obsessed. ;)

When playing alternate shot or scramble format people are not playing by the rules of medal play, the formats are designed for fun, I don't think there is anything wrong for people to enjoy themselves when on the course. However if a player does take these liberties and states they shot a specific score and handicap is X........

....well perhaps that is for a different thread. :-X

JMEvensky

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 04:06:01 PM »

Yea! Etiquette is for the birds.  :P

All due respect,where's the etiquette in dragging 3-footers and ignoring the rules?

Etiquette involves showing respect for the game just as much as the people playing it--even the ones for whom "golf" is a foot race.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 04:08:23 PM »
A abhor slow play, but fudging penalty drops is not playing golf, friendly match or otherwise.  
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 04:31:20 PM »
Serious question here...

how often do you guys play round that approach 5 hours?

It has happen to me only a handful of times.  However, I've played more rounds in under 3 hours than I've played in 5 hours or more.

Is my abnormal?  Or do most people play rounds in the time frames I finish in?

My worst round in terms of time was at TPC Sawgrass and the other was at a tournament at my home club.  Both were over 5 hour rounds. 

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »
Mr Evensky - conceding putts is a matchplay tactic, your oppo has a dead flat 3 footer on the first couple of holes. You concede them for a half, never a win, he doesn't get the opportunity to hole a couple of easy putts and get his confidence going on the green.

Later in the round he knocks it 2 1/2 feet away but you know it's a tricky putt, he stolls up expecting a shorter putt to be given, you say nothing and suddenly he has a difficult putt that seems even harder.

That's proper golf, just like stymies in the real old days!!
Cave Nil Vino

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 04:40:41 PM »
How about: "The course shall not rent powered golf carts on day's when the conditions would restrict those carts to remain on paved pathways."

That would eaily shave an hour for most foursomes. Of course, it will never happen.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 04:41:49 PM »
I have taken mulligans on the first tee... I never play preferred lie under any circumstances, it's not golf.

And gifting yourself a free do over on the 1st tee is?

JMEvensky

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
Mr Evensky - conceding putts is a matchplay tactic, your oppo has a dead flat 3 footer on the first couple of holes. You concede them for a half, never a win, he doesn't get the opportunity to hole a couple of easy putts and get his confidence going on the green.

Later in the round he knocks it 2 1/2 feet away but you know it's a tricky putt, he stolls up expecting a shorter putt to be given, you say nothing and suddenly he has a difficult putt that seems even harder.

That's proper golf, just like stymies in the real old days!!

Yes,I've played in match-play tournaments myself.

The Ten Commandments posted makes no mention of these being solely a guide for match.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »
But never conceded a putt?
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 05:05:15 PM »
These thou shalts seem to be in left field, then right field ...

There is a time and a place for all sorts of "rule changes".  I will put in the drop and add one rule for lost balls in a group of very mixed golfers and if out of the hole drop somewhere inobtrusive for a bit of a shot to see - why, because it saves time while also allowing guys to play after dropping god knows how much money on green fees.  So I would say, just as I trust those I play with, thou shalt trust MY judgement or thou shalt not play with ME.  

Speaking of looking for lost balls.  It annoys me to end when the entire group is looking for a ball.  Somebody in that group should be preparing and hitting their shot while the others look - even if it means playing out of turn.  Once done hitting another player kicks on with his game while you then help look. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:08:31 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mac Plumart

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »
Why not simply play by the rules and be ready to hit the ball when it is your turn?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back