News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Weiler

MPCC
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »
Here is an article from Yahoo sports by Jerry Pate, on MPCC.  It appears he'll do an architectural type piece on tour courses throughout the year.  Is GCA having an influence??

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Pate-s-perspective-sizing-up-the-Monterey-Penin;_ylt=Am6uq9T9gbp.3wFUQ2b6ljcogsUF?urn=golf,218854

Ronald Montesano

Re: MPCC
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:34 AM »
My favorite quote:  "Agronomically, Strantz underdrained every fairway with perforated pipe on 15 foot-centers, for a total of 42 miles of pipe on the course. He then plated the heavy clay soils on the entire site with sand mixed with PermaPore, a ceramic additive that retains adequate moisture for the turfgrass while the excess percolates through the sand."

Can someone speak to Pate's knowledge base for this?  I know he designs, but does he get dirty enough to understand this (I know I had to look up a few words.)

--Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
Ronald, It's almost ambiguous to say the soil is clayey, and then add a ceramic to the sand. But, from my limited understanding, what he said made sense. If there are ceramics that hod moisture longer, and, then release it slowly into the sand.

What is this ceramic? Bisqued fired only?

It that area there's not a lot of heat. Most days have a significant marine layer. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »

A few decades ago when I was in the Irrigation and Landscape supply business, a manufacturer was hawking a product made of Diatomaceous Earth, which is used in pool filters but it's usefullness on sports fields and golf courses is that DE is like a hard sponge, that can hold water particles but also allow water to flow through it.

When mixed with soil at a specific rate, it allows water to percolate through the soil to drainage systems farther down.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:13:48 AM »
The expert just awoke and has relayed that there are examples, like African Violets, which require a bisque fired pot placed between the roots of the plant and the water source. The reason being that the roots can't touch the water directly or it will drown the plant.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back