News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bentham

The next great golf course in Oregon?
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:17:20 AM »
check my blog post out on the course at Crook's Point in Gold Beach:
http://pacduneslooper.blogspot.com/

Scott Warren

Re: The next great golf course in Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:29:05 AM »
Gold Beach rings a bell. Is that the area where Mike Keiser bought, then decided against building his course before Bandon Dunes began?

EDIT - Now I see that addressed at the foot of your blog. I thought I read he bought it, then sold it, but I am probably wrong.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:30:38 AM by Scott Warren »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »
joe,

The article was interesting, I think the course is further south from Bandon and not far from the Cali State line if memory serves me right.

There was a thread on this earlier.  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41396.0/

But perhaps even more disturbing is your next blog entry where you talk about Greg Oden vs.  Kevin Durant?  Were you being serious?  You still think Greg Oden was the better pick?  Have you actually see Kevin Durant playing?  Its not even close, KD is a bonafide star and future hall of famer.  Oden on the other hand is looking like the next Sam Bowie!!  ;D

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »
Dave Duffy sure has some high expectations!  

It would be exciting if they were well founded due to a spectacular site...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
Gold Beach rings a bell. Is that the area where Mike Keiser bought, then decided against building his course before Bandon Dunes began?

EDIT - Now I see that addressed at the foot of your blog. I thought I read he bought it, then sold it, but I am probably wrong.

Mike bought an adjacent property, and made several efforts to buy the property in question to build a golf course. After Bandon Dunes got going, he sold his property adjacent to the property in question.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:39:20 PM »
Nice photo of #7 at Whistling Straits - how'd they get it transported to OR?
Coasting is a downhill process

George Freeman

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:46:43 PM »
Nice photo of #7 at Whistling Straits - how'd they get it transported to OR?

Photoshop
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
I smell Half Moon Bay Ocean Course.  Unless the property can make up for it...

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »
Such an interesting choice to go with Perry Dye - especially given the current climate where there must be 20+ great GCAs looking for work - and this is a "chance of a lifetime" site for all but a few of those guys.

I hope this place isn't the next "Sandpines" since OR already has one of those travesties - I would imagine this should be auto Top 100 USA Magazine material based on the location.

Perry has his chance - may the force be with him!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
Joe,

The Oregon Coast is stunning, but, good views alone won't attract golfers from near and far.
A quality golf course is a necessary ingredient.

Has anyone played Bandon Links ?

I wonder if Mike Keiser considered constructing or purchasing a nearby private air strip.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 01:26:18 PM »
Patrick,
Bandon Links is a really nice inland course.  It's right off US101, but it's definitely not a linksland course.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Based on the description from reading various articles and figuring that they can't build it on state park land, it would seem this is the piece of property they'll be building it on.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 01:53:27 PM »
Joe,
My last trip to Bandon started from Medford and I took the high road over the coast range from Merlin to Gold Beach to take a look at the general area. Kalen, the course site is about 15 miles south of Gold Beach. I could not find any access to the point. My original though was that the course would be mainly down on the river valley floor because the state park has much of the land between US101 and the ocean. Looking at Google Earth it now looks like a good number of holes can be located on the point. I saw some blowouts from the highway. There will be a lot of logging.
The bloggers expectations are much higher than mine, but he lives there.

Kalen, that is the right area, but you might also want to post the pics to the north to incorporate the river valley. You'r only showing 50-75 acres.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:56:31 PM by Pete_Pittock »

George Freeman

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »
Patrick,
Bandon Links is a really nice inland course.  It's right off US101, but it's definitely not a linksland course.

Dan,

Is this the nine holer?

Thanks
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 03:09:06 PM »
Old Bandon is a nine hole course that rents hickories - it's a pretty cool idea and I think the course is getting better every year as Troy Russell keeps working on it.

http://www.oldbandongolflinks.com/

Joe Bentham

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 02:30:34 AM »
Joe,
The Oregon Coast is stunning, but, good views alone won't attract golfers from near and far.
A quality golf course is a necessary ingredient.
How incredibly insightful....

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »
joe,

The article was interesting, I think the course is further south from Bandon and not far from the Cali State line if memory serves me right.

There was a thread on this earlier.  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41396.0/

But perhaps even more disturbing is your next blog entry where you talk about Greg Oden vs.  Kevin Durant?  Were you being serious?  You still think Greg Oden was the better pick?  Have you actually see Kevin Durant playing?  Its not even close, KD is a bonafide star and future hall of famer.  Oden on the other hand is looking like the next Sam Bowie!!  ;D

Took the words right out of my mouth Kalen totally distracted by the previous post! Unbelievable how those Blazers fans are blind to the truth that Durant is going on in just his third year to become the games best scorer! I don't care how well Oden can protect the paint, as Simmons says, his legs are two different sizes! I mean Durant has 25 games now with over 25 points! I dare you to look up the only guy who has more consecutive games in a 25+ point streak.  ;D
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 09:43:13 AM »
George,
It's an 18-holer about 2 miles south of Bandon-by-the-Sea.

Old Bandon is just east of Face Rock State Park.  We stayed in a hotel that abuts the course in 2001.  At that time, it was a very simple, inexpensive golf course.  Nice to see it's getting some attention.

Here's a link to information about the nearby state park:  http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_76.php?md=pic  Thought it'd give you a feel for the area.

When I was in Oregon in 2009, I drove thru Pistol River 3 times.  Very scenic, but quite different than the Bandon Dunes resort area. 

Scott Weersing

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »

There have been others who have thought about building the next great course in Oregon.

But I wonder, why would someone go play this course when then they could play the four courses at Bandon Dunes Resort?

I wonder how much play Bandon Crossings will get this coming summer?

Wasn't there plans for another course on the coast of Oregon, north of Florence.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »
Scott & et al,

Your friend Carl thinks you have hit on something.  The quality of golf in that area is so extraordinarliy high, how does the new course compete? on price? (why bother)?  Doesn't a well financed individual or organzation with a national or international reach recognize local marketplace saturation?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »
Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals has delayed the project for a year to further study landslide potential and approachig cliff tops
http://www.registerguard.com/web/business/26295191-41/resort-county-golf-crook-curry.html.csp. It seems Mike Erdman and I refreshed both threads about the same time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:57:12 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »

There have been others who have thought about building the next great course in Oregon.

But I wonder, why would someone go play this course when then they could play the four courses at Bandon Dunes Resort?

I wonder how much play Bandon Crossings will get this coming summer?

Wasn't there plans for another course on the coast of Oregon, north of Florence.

Keiser though he could made a go of Bandon Dunes with a $35 green fee. If you can put courses of quality on the coastline and charge an inflation adjusted equivalent to $35 or a little more, then there would be little reason to go to the Resort. Unfortunately Bandon Crossings is not on the coastline.

However, the areas east of the mountains have potential in an improved economy of doing it. Some would say Tetherow already acomplished it. Others of us would hold off on that with hopes of Wicked Pony or the next Dan Hixson design would come to fruition.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back