News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Anecdotal good news for public golf (?)
« on: February 11, 2010, 08:30:33 AM »
Link to article
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_031e8202-16c2-11df-bfbc-001cc4c002e0.html

Cliffnotes version of the article:

Madison, WI municipal golf courses turned a profit last year and reversed an 8 year trend of declining rounds. 

Brad Swanson

Phil McDade

Re: Anecdotal good news for public golf (?)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
My neighbor here in snowbound Madison beats me to it; thanks for posting, Brad.

I might beg to differ re. their explanation about marketing being the difference. I think pricing had a lot to do with it. As the recession even hit seemingly recession-proof towns like Madison, I have to believe folks spent more time at the munis than at the over-rated Bergamont, or even our favorite University Ridge, with prices $20-$30 higher per round than the munis. The Madison munis' buck-a-hole fall discount also seemed popular, based on numbers I saw out on the munis this October.

W.H. Cosgrove

Re: Anecdotal good news for public golf (?)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
Very interesting article.  Does this mean 1) that the price of golf for the average player should not exceed $30?  Or between $6 and $7 per hour of entertainment?  2) that high unemployment leaves folks with a lot of time to fill?  3) the cut in expenses didn't realy effect the quality of the experience? 

What would really interest me is the lessons that could be learned, for use in other parts of the country. 

I once owned a bar during a bad economic time.  While other businesses struggled, we thrived.  Is inexpensive golf a healthier yet similar anecdote?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back