News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

2nd Annual AAC. Thanks for the entries!
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
Welcome one and all to this latest installment of the Armchair Architecture Contest. I’m greatly pleased with all of the interest in it. This year’s contest will be a bit different than last year.

• For starters, contestants won’t be required to use google sketchup. You may still use it if you wish, and I do think it is great for people who are not experienced with reading topographic maps.
  • Second, there will be far fewer constraints placed upon you based upon site restrictions and other factors. So you’ll be free to just design whatever makes you happiest.
  • Lastly, this site is FICTIONAL. Not a real site. That’s not to say that the contours are all from my imagination, because they are not. Most are from a couple of real courses melded together (and flipped, stretched, shrunken etc.) with my imagination just tying them together.

So now to rules; there are none! (or at least very few)
  • Place the clubhouse/entrance road whereever you would like.
  • Design as many holes as you would like (as long as it’s at least 18)
  • You must be able to submit electronically. That may mean you print out a map, draw on it, then scan it back in, but that is a lot of work for you, and leaves all of your eggs in one basket. Better for you to use one of the free paint programs and draw in layers that can be turned on and off (more on that later).
  • You’ll have to submit some sort of “presentation” that consists of some design info like strategies, overall look and feel of the course, and anything else you think is pertinent. Not looking for a PHD thesis on this, but something that would appeal to a real client. Also, some sketches or ground-level perspective images would be great (this is where sketchup can really shine).

Without further ado, here is a scaled-down version of the topo. The darker the shade of gray, the lower the elevation. The squares represent 40-acre parcels. The topo lines are on 2-foot intervals, so the elevation range is from 90 to 140 feet. The distance scale is included on the bottom.

I’ll be providing several full-size file types (i.e. photoshop, paint.net, Sketchup) in a day or so along with instructions, but I want to get the contest out there and give you guys a couple of days to digest it. Feel free to do some preliminary routings or whatever, but I suggest you wait to get the full-size files so that you can see all of the elevation numbers and have as much room as necessary for your designs.

A few thoughts. Please feel free to give any feedback you’d like now or at any point during the contest. It all helps. Also, while a 640 acre property may seem overwhelming, it needn’t be. Use as much or as little as you feel like. You don’t need to use every possible parcel for an 18 hole course. This contest is for YOU! You can go as in-depth as you like on your design/presentation, and you can do it in the method of your choosing. SO NO EXCUSES FOR ANYONE! If you don’t have time etc, that fine and good, but there are no software requirements for you to do this exercise.

Last thing, we currently have 3 judges and one grand prize. I’ll expound on the subject more later, but we can use more judges, if there are some folks out there with the time and desire to do so. Feel free to post or PM me if you’d like to judge. Anyhoo, our judges are currently Tommy Naccarato, Tim Nugent, and Mike Nuzzo.  Mike and Tommy were judges last year, Tim is new for us this year. Again, more judges would be greatly appreciated, but three is great too. Thanks to our judges!

EDIT:

Okay, below are the files that have been requested. If you would like to use a paint program but don't have one and would not like to buy one, there is a free one called Paint.Net that is relatively easy to use. It will let you use the PDN file I linked below and you can draw on a separate layer so that you don't have to keep starting over. Just go to google and put in Paint.Net and you'll get there.

You only need to download ONE of the files below. You can download as many as you wish, but you only need ONE.

Shaded JPEG version: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map.jpg

Un-shaded version: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map%20no^_shading.tif

Sketchup File: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC2.skp

Photoshop File: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map.psd

Paint.Net File: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map.pdn

CAD File (dwg): http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map.dwg

There they are, please post any questions.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:43:21 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Patrick Hodgdon

Re: 2nd Annual Armchair Architecture Contest (All are Welcome!)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
Looks like a cool site. Depending on how easy/tough Google sketch is I think I'll throw my hat in the ring. Thanks for putting this together Charlie.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:29:57 PM »
Charlie,

Looks good, I'll be sure to do it this year and learn sketchup in the process!!  ;)

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »
Good on you guys, but remember Sketchup is NOT a requirement this time! You can do cave drawings if you really want, as long as you can scan them in. :).
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »
Good on you guys, but remember Sketchup is NOT a requirement this time! You can do cave drawings if you really want, as long as you can scan them in. :).

Cave Drawings! Good! That lets George Pazin play too!
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:26 PM »
Charlie,

Are you sure that topo is not from Furry Creek?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ed Oden

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »
Not sure whether I will submit an entry.  But if I do, you can be damn sure it will include a perfect "G" somewhere in the design.

Ian_L

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:33:18 PM »
I'm in!  Any idea how long we will have to do the contest?

Thanks again Charlie.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
Excellent Ed!

Ian, I plan to have about a month from when I get the files up (hopefully today).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 12:27:16 PM »
Hi Charlie,

The legend at the bottom gives a measurement for 200 yards, but yet 16 squares of 40 acres has no correspondence to that measurement. What are the proper measurements?

Jim Colton

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
Garland, the site is a square mile, so it's 1760 x 1760 yards.  Each square is 440 x 440.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »
I'm not sure if I am up to this.  I do wonder if that watercourse really drops about 38ft in about 500yards.  Also, can you describe the nature of the terrain in terms of soil, vegetative cover and the objects that could be rock outcroppings or spires, or ledges or sink holes?  What climate zone would this be in?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »
Garland, the site is a square mile, so it's 1760 x 1760 yards.  Each square is 440 x 440.

Thanks Jim,

Got it. It just made me realize how squeezed in my home course is on the land it owns.
Charlie, please ignore my bonehead question above.  :-[

Emil Weber

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 03:22:37 PM »
Whoo this is gonna be a big project.  :). Sketchup sounds good but I have absolutely no idea how to use it!!!

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 03:48:34 PM »
I've found at least two Dell holes...freakin' sweet!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »
I've found at least two Dell holes...freakin' sweet!!!

We will call you Ron Whitten.

John Foley

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »
Charlie,

This is great - tried sketch up l;ast year and failed horribly. I can use Photoshop & others so that format will work best. I hope lack of Sketch up talent will not be used against me (even if it is I am sure it will be fun!!)

A few questions / suggestions.

Is the blue dashed line a stream or an existing road & can it be moved??

Do I need to included irrigation or can I assume an underground aquifer will take care of that for me?

If you can make one of the downloads a simple place 7 white (w/ no shadded relief) topo it may help the non-sketch uo guys?

How about some increased granularity on your rulers, it would help?

Looking forward to it!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 10:46:09 PM »
Okay, below are the files that have been requested. If you would like to use a paint program but don't have one and would not like to buy one, there is a free one called Paint.Net that is relatively easy to use. It will let you use the PDN file I linked below and you can draw on a separate layer so that you don't have to keep starting over. Just go to google and put in Paint.Net and you'll get there.

You only need to download ONE of the files below. You can download as many as you wish, but you only need ONE.

Shaded JPEG version: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map.jpg

Un-shaded version: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map%20no^_shading.tif

Sketchup File: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC2.skp

Photoshop File: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map.psd

Paint.Net File: http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map.pdn

CAD File (dwg): http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/AAC%20topo%20map.dwg

There they are, please post any questions.

Ian_L

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 04:08:04 AM »
Great map Charlie, I see a little Erin Hills in there ;) .

What is the blue line, or has this been addressed?

Emil Weber

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 07:09:19 AM »
Charlie,

I've downloaded the sketch-up file and opened it, but its doesn't appear in 3D, and the 3D butten wont work. Suggestions? Thanks for putting this up!

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 08:15:57 AM »
Emil, sorry I didn't get more specific, I had assumed that only the sketchup veterans would bother with it. I've hidden the 3D part and shown the 2D map. I'll find my video tutorials and put links up to them later today or tomorrow. They should help get you started.

Ian, the blue line is a creek. You see some Erin Hills probably, but there is another course that makes up at least half. And I'll never tell!

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 08:58:01 AM »
Emil, sorry I didn't get more specific, I had assumed that only the sketchup veterans would bother with it. I've hidden the 3D part and shown the 2D map. I'll find my video tutorials and put links up to them later today or tomorrow. They should help get you started.

Ian, the blue line is a creek. You see some Erin Hills probably, but there is another course that makes up at least half. And I'll never tell!

Charlie do you have a 3d version for Sketch Up? I don't think I'm going to enter if I have to highlight each topo line and pull up accordingly just to start.

Also any sketchup vets know how to resize the measurements from inches to feet or yards?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 10:02:58 AM »
Patrick, The 3d is in there (but hidden), but you have to draw the holes on the 2D map and then "apply" them to the 3D surface. There is a tutorial that I created for last year's contest that I'll be tracking down. Also, the scale says inches, but 1 inch in sketchup = 1 foot in the "real" world.

Also, not just for you Patrick, but for all. You do NOT need to use sketchup. You can just use the image and draw your design on it in any way you choose. That is why I provided a number of different formats. As I said, you can print out the jpeg image and hand-draw your design if you wish. Though I would recommend at least using a paint program of some sort so that you can more easily save different iterations of your work.

Emil Weber

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
Thanks Charlie. I know I don't need to use sketchup but the 3d would give me a much better idea of the elevations. I have no sense atm for how steep the slopes are, I know its 2 foot per line but....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »
I'm not sure if I am up to this.  I do wonder if that watercourse really drops about 38ft in about 500yards.  Also, can you describe the nature of the terrain in terms of soil, vegetative cover and the objects that could be rock outcroppings or spires, or ledges or sink holes?  What climate zone would this be in?

Looking at the topo, I came to the conclusion that it has that GCA favorite -------------------------------- waterfalls!

Charlie,

Is it true that you have been trying to get The Donald to join the contest?
 ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back