News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas McQuillan

Re: Why People Quit Golf
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
The two reasons why people quit anything are 1. lack/loss of interest (people generally wont take part of things they dont enjoy) and 2. inability to afford it (no matter how much you enjoy something, if you have insufficient funds you will not be able to do it).

The bottom line is that golf has to regain some of its enjoyment factor to stop people quitting and it has to become cheaper.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2010, 04:38:17 PM »
I don't think it's a one-size-fits-all question.  If you break it down by, say, age (one decade per group) I'm sure you will find more similar answer within each group but the answer between groups different.
Coasting is a downhill process

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »
The two reasons why people quit anything are 1. lack/loss of interest (people generally wont take part of things they dont enjoy) and 2. inability to afford it (no matter how much you enjoy something, if you have insufficient funds you will not be able to do it).

The bottom line is that golf has to regain some of its enjoyment factor to stop people quitting and it has to become cheaper.

I agree with this mainy... lack or loss intrest also equals not getting better, or getting worse.
There are definite patterns how people give up, time related really, a talented 15 year old gives up because he meets a girl, bloke gets married starts a family he just has no time and funds are low... sometimes they come back, sometimes they dont. I really do not think this has anything to do with the golf course or architecture. People will pay cheaper courses if the budget is tight.
Another point not touched on is that your friend gives up and you no longer have a buddy to play with.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:56:53 PM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »
Not many people quitting golf in Germany. Maybe because of this:

59 with a Bogey

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2010, 10:04:01 PM »
Ulrich.
 It must take less time to shoot that low, too.  ;)

Truthfully, I feel Germany's attitude towards the sport, ensures continued interest because they treat the courses/game with respect.

The mediocre architecture shoved down the throats of the masses post 1983 in the US, is at the root of why it failed to inspire people to want to become golfers.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back