News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Vindication! Stuart Appelby says...
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »
From Twitter a little while ago:

"The wet west coast almost over, sun coming rest of week. Monterey is a great course, better then PB"

I really hope they have more than one or two cameras out at MPCC the first three days of the tournament this week.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kevin Pallier

Re: Vindication! Stuart Appelby says...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:21:14 PM »
Tim

Am wondering if he has played Cypress whilst out there to give an opinion on it as well ?

When I bumped into him at the airport back in Nov he said he hadn't played it at that time.

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »
Also via Twitter:

"Matt Bettencourt on MPCC: "I think it's going to be one of the top one to three courses we play on Tour this year." "
"... and I liked the guy ..."

David_Elvins

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »
I always admire Golf Club Atlas's ability to play down and sometimes ridicule the architectural opinions of pro golfers until they praise one of the GCA favorites and then all of a sudden their opinion is respected. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »
HAAAAAA...awe-inspiring, David.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
I always admire Golf Club Atlas's ability to play down and sometimes ridicule the architectural opinions of pro golfers until they praise one of the GCA favorites and then all of a sudden their opinion is respected. 

When they started praising Longshadow, I knew they were truly out to lunch!

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »

David--

I agree with you in principle; such behavior would be a bit hypocritical of us.

I am always interested in what pros think of golf courses they play on Tour.  I don't think it's unfair, though, to disagree when players make sophomoric judgments of golf courses, especially when they are GCA-popular.  I also don't think it's unfair to disagree when they make sophomoric praising judgments of courses that are not GCA-popular.

Guys like Ogilvy and Appelby have tended to show a more sophisticated eye for architecture than some of their fellows.  I can't recall times when a certain player's compliments about a GCA-unpopular course have been condemned and whose compliments about a GCA-popular course have been praised.  I don't know what Appelby or Ogilvy think about many GCA-unpopular courses; I wonder if I'd agree with them.

I've never played MPCC or Pebble Beach or any of those heavyweights, but I have loved what pictures I've seen of the Shore course and I am fascinated by Mike Strantz's courses.  I know there are a lot of people here who have played these courses and might be interested in one pro's take on MPCC--especially since it's not an insignificant claim.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 11:34:06 PM »
Isn't there a bigger issue here -- Tim, what possessed you to read what Appleby tweets?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 11:50:17 PM »
Isn't there a bigger issue here -- Tim, what possessed you to read what Appleby tweets?
Carl--

That's a whole 'nother issue to explore!  Without going to OT, I think that Twitter has potential to do for professional golf what people often say should be done--the exposure of the personalities of the players.  Bubba Watson makes funny videos and posts them on Twitter quite often, reaching out to fans and others in the process.  It's nice to see a bit of personality from these guys.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark_F

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 12:39:51 AM »

Not just Golf Club Atlas, David.

David_Elvins

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 03:29:40 AM »
....I am always interested in what pros think of golf courses they play on Tour.  I don't think it's unfair, though, to disagree when players make sophomoric judgments of golf courses, especially when they are GCA-popular.  I also don't think it's unfair to disagree when they make sophomoric praising judgments of courses that are not GCA-popular....

Nice post, I agree with your comments but am not sure if Appleby offered any vindication.  I have a feeling they might be playing a composite course at MPCC but if he is talking about the Shore course then, conditioning aside, I think his comment is on the loopy side of things. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back