News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Rossapenna. Pictures
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:04:34 PM »
Rossapenna Sandy Hills

If there’s one course I’ve played that totally stood above my expectations it would have to be this one.  I get a particular thrill from playing land which has distinguishing features and character that sets it apart from all others.  Sandy Hills may have a prosaic name, but it does try to sum up what makes it special. I’ve played cliff top links like Pennard and courses with massive dunes, e.g. Lahinch, Wallasey and Burnham but this is a course that feels like you are playing on elevated land – Nearer to Heaven. The continual feeling is of playing on top of the world with magnificent views and a sense of a playground far above the concerns and even joys like a beach, hotel, roads and other normal features. Given that this is all in a remote corner of Ireland in a setting of stunning beauty it’s a wonder more people haven’t been persuaded to go there.

I’ve had these photos a couple of years and if I took them today I’d take a picture of a hole marker every few holes. There wasn’t a Scoresaver available so I won’t attempt a tour but I wanted  to share these.

NB there are better images available here.
http://www.rosapenna.ie/gallery.php  pictures 11 – 20 are of Sandy Hills.

I’ve played 3 of the Famous Five Irish links courses and this one is next on my list ahead of e.g.Portstewart and Rosses Point. Personally I find it’s way ahead of Ballyliffen and TEC but I think it could have been even better with more micro undulations in the fairway (“Put that JCB away Pat”) and more variety in green siting and protection on the  Par 4’s but that’s just Carping.

This is one of the great places to golf. Go.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas McQuillan

Re: Rossapenna. Pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »
''I’ve played 3 of the Famous Five Irish links courses and this one is next on my list ahead of e.g.Portstewart and Rosses Point.''

Just curious, But which five courses make up the ''famous five''? Ever played Baltray or Seapoint?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »
''I’ve played 3 of the Famous Five Irish links courses and this one is next on my list ahead of e.g.Portstewart and Rosses Point.''

Just curious, But which five courses make up the ''famous five''? Ever played Baltray or Seapoint?

I would have it that the FF are by common consent  RCD, Portrush, Portmarnock, Ballybunion and Lahinch.  I've played 1,2 and 5 of these. I have walked Baltray and deliberately left it out of my post above.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for posting the photos - spectacular - that's serious links heroin in those shots - just beautiful.

R-SP and Carne are at the top of my list for the next visit to Eire - along with RCD and Portrush (I have played BB and Lahinch already and would love to get back there if possible).

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:18:53 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for posting the photos - spectacular - that's serious links heroin in those shots - just beautiful.

R-SP and Carne are at the top of my list for the next visit to Eire - along with RCD and Portrush (I have played BB and Lahinch already and would love to get back there if possible).

Maybe it was the 8 pushy Germans who first stole our trolleys, then berated the shop staff, then attempted to jump in front of our group,(I think they finished #1 as we were putting out on the fifth ::) ) but I didn't enjoy Sandy Hills nearly as much as Rosapenna Old (which I've played twice 10 years apart). and not even remotely as much as Portsalon.
Most holes at Sandy felt like the fourth picture above ;D
I think I need to give it another go just to be sure.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 03:40:36 AM »
Is this the course Ruddy redid?  It does look good in a way links always do, but most holes seem to run straight through valleys and seem to be narrow - which is often the case with running holes between dunes.

Thanks Tony.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »
I found the course interesting. I thought it was on a great piece of land but the holes were not memorable. It felt a bit like an American Club in Irelend to me. Ireland and Irish golf touches all our souls in ways that transend golf. This course does not. I look forward to this area settling down from overbuilding. NW Irleand is one of the special places on earth and I look forward to visiting again soon. Give me Ballyliffen, Donagal, Portstewart, Enniscrone, Rosses Point and Portrush over Rossapenna anyday though.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
That looks great!  A few holes looked a little tight...was it really narrow in places?  The fairway contours in a few of those pics were really wild.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »
I played both courses at Rossapenna some years back, and waseaten alive by Sandy Hill Links.  The Old Tom Course on site was easier, to my recollection.

IMO, unless you are scratch, or nearly so, a course like Sandy Hill requires a very defensive brand of golf--playing for bogeys, laying up strategically with irons, etc.  Letting 'er rip with fairway woods and long irons will result in balls sailing into the gunch, never to be found again.   

Or maybe I just had a bad day?

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:56:12 AM »
I found the course interesting. I thought it was on a great piece of land but the holes were not memorable. It felt a bit like an American Club in Irelend to me. Ireland and Irish golf touches all our souls in ways that transend golf. This course does not. I look forward to this area settling down from overbuilding. NW Irleand is one of the special places on earth and I look forward to visiting again soon. Give me Ballyliffen, Donagal, Portstewart, Enniscrone, Rosses Point and Portrush over Rossapenna anyday though.

Tiger,
I'd have to agree.
I recently put together a trip that literally has us driving right past Rosapenna. (when asked why I couldn't exactly put my finger on it)
It could be the  clubhouse and Hotel or the clientele, but it just wasn't as charming as it was when there was one course.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Emil Weber

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »
Thanks a lot for the tour Tony. The land looks great but the fairways look VERY narrow in these pics and I'm not a fan either of the flattened-out-looking fairways in the middle of rolling dunes.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »
I thought it was a bear of a course but loved it all the same. I had similar feelings about RCD and I just accept some courses play tough and you just have to love them.

It's not nearly as narrow as it looks in those pictures, Ruddy loves to hide large parts of the landing area it's just that with no Scoresaver to calm the nerves it's harder to make a confident swing. (Sean I believe this is the new All Ruddy course). Again without a course plan I can’t be sure but it's not an out and back course and the wind direction shifts as you play adding variety to the game.  I felt it offered strong hole after strong hole but lacks an absolute standout or two like Ballyliffen has.

I keep thinking about that ground. It’s the site best suited to Ruddy's love of a drive down into a valley and then back up to the green.  It seems that his courses divide opinion. With this one I want to put aside all other thoughts and just go back and play there again.

KBanks

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 08:29:16 PM »
There was a mention a while back of Mr. Casey, Rosapenna's owner, engaging Tom Doak to add some width and otherwise modify Sandy Hills. Does anyone know if this took place?

Ken

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 03:17:49 AM »
There was a mention a while back of Mr. Casey, Rosapenna's owner, engaging Tom Doak to add some width and otherwise modify Sandy Hills. Does anyone know if this took place?

Ken

Tom said some time ago that "we are talking to the owners about more extensive work there but have not agreed to anything as yet." I think nothing came of it.

That seems to be the main complaint about the course. From what I've heard first hand, it's not enjoyable because it''s too tough. They play a scratch cup there that attracts the best amateurs in Ireland. Last year, the best score on Sandy Hills during the scratch cup was 72 (+1), with 66 (-4) as the best on the old course. Even Rory McIlroy shot some high scores there.

Kevin Markham

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 04:38:41 AM »
The general feeling is that Sandy Hills is a tough track - and probably too tough. I played it on a good day, with moderate wind, and there are no simple shots. The first hole is a long brute, so it throws you in at the deep end.

I've added a link to my own photos here (I was lucky enough to play it on a sunny day.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/72157621830301481/

I get what you're saying about it being a bit American in style - the huge clubhouse probably doesn't help. To be honest I found that it's almost too perfect in shape and rhythm, so feels manufactured (which of course it is in places). That said, I loved it.

I agree with Tony that there is no stand-out hole as they're all consistently strong.

It's good to see Portsalon mentioned as it's another unexpected beaut and almost next door to Rosapenna.

Ireland and Irish golf touches all our souls in ways that transend golf. This course does not. NW Irleand is one of the special places on earth and I look forward to visiting again soon.

Eloquently put!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back